Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator Issues - BEWARE!

I purchased my Cedar Creek with a Whirlpool Residential Refrigerator. I also purchased an extended warranty through Whirlpool. Beware.... the warranty does not apply to refrigerator installed in RV's. I found that out today when I needed it repaired. There is also an issue with obtaining service. RV dealers say they don't work on residential refrigerator and home service techs don't work on RV's. The warranty I received was direct from Whirlpool. They take your money and never tell you it doesn't apply to RV's. There is a paragraph in the contract under commercial that says RV's are excluded. I contacted Forest River Cedar Creek division and they confirmed for me that Whirlpool does that. They were very nice but that doesn't help when you think your covered and your not. By the way the refrigerator is less than a year old and only used 6 months. No cooling either in ref area or freezer. Has anyone else had this issue?
LindaJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

You may be able to cancel the warranty and get a pro rated refund....
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #3

I don’t think there is any difference between a refrigerator that you have in your home than a unit in a rv. I would find someone that works on refrigerators and come look at yours. You haven’t got to say anything about a rv. You do know that about the only way to get another unit in the rv is take out a window or take off a slide, at least it would be in my Cedar Creek
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

The service problem is they need to be removed from the cabinet to be serviced, and a frig service guy won’t do that.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

I have one too. I'm not sure how you could have purchased an additional warranty through Whirlpool? For what? Who did you pay? At the very least, go get your money back for payment for that.

Then call a mobile refrigerator repair man. Every city has one. Fix the refrigerator, send the bill to Cedar Creek.

Mine doesn't have to be removed from any cabinet. Yours shouldn't either. Unscrew the floor and top L brackets that hold it in place, slide it out, and work on it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #6

I got it for on whirlpool. Check the paragraph on exclusions and you will see it says recreation vehicles. The paperwork had my model and serial # as well.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
The service problem is they need to be removed from the cabinet to be serviced, and a frig service guy won’t do that.
What model of Cedar Creek do you have? My 34RL Cedar Creek with the Whirlpool Fridge will roll out of the enclosed cabinet space. All I have to do is removed the upper brackets that are fasten to the side wall and the lower board that holds the wheels for the fridge in position. My unit can be access in less than 10 min's.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #8

Yes I understand that. I have a 33IK. I already removed the 2 screws holding the frig in place and it is on wheels and rolls right out.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
Site Team

You say it's less than a year old. Is Cedar Creek willing to pay for the repairs?

Since you already have it out of the cabinet, a regular appliance repair person should not have any qualms about working on it.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

It turned a year in January. I used it 6 months on a seasonal site last year. Camping season is short in NY
Old 05-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
Global Nomad

I have a Cedar Creek with residential Whirlpool refrigerator. The dealer did not tell me the doors had to be secured, nor did he supply me with that bracket. In Michigan the freezer came out and was sitting in the middle of the floor. Could not get it back in. Called Whirlpool and they referred me to a Ace Hardware in the UP who is an authorized Whirlpool repair women. She came out and fixed the problem. (obviously not covered under warranty).
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #12

The problem with refrigerators in RVs is the compressor. The compressor is sealed inside a shell and inside the shell the actual compressor motor is mounted on springs. As you bounce down the road, these take a beating.
A residential fridge is not intended to be moved once in place, and that's why most of them last forever.
But, if its not the compressor, (hopefully) it could be something as simple as the fan inside the cabinet that blows air over the evaporator (the chiller) If that is out, a new fan is less than $50, plus installation. If a compressor, might as well get a new fridge.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to redjet
If your RV was one year old in January (I assume 2018), you had an opportunity to get the 2nd year warranty from Forest River. It appears that you bought the Cedar Creek in January 2017, and I believe Forest River offered the warranty extension until June 2017. If you purchased the Forest River one year extension (warranty extended to Jan/2019), I would be all over their warranty Department. If you didn't - Sorry for you loss.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2020 Ford F150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Lariat - 4X4
2018 Club Car - Gas - Lifted
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #14

I had the same issue with a Samsung fridge. My dealer said that they will remove the fridge and a third party repair company will come to the dealer and repair it.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #15

I'm still a bit lost. If the refrigerator is less than a year old, so is the trailer, right?

I stand by my statement. Get it fixed, however, whoever. Send the bill to Cedar Creek. They'll pay it or they won't. But you can't live without a working refrigerator. Or I wouldn't.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I had the same issue with a Samsung fridge. My dealer said that they will remove the fridge and a third party repair company will come to the dealer and repair it.
X2
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #17

My LG went out this last Jan. No cooling in the freezer or fridg. I have a Columbus (2015). The sink island is in front of the fridg so making it difficult to pull it out. I called an RV repair service to work on it and when they saw that it was a household fridg they wouldn't work on it because they didn't know how. I called a household fridg repair service and when they found it was in a RV they refused to work on it. I tried for two weeks to find someone to help with no luck. (We were wintering in south Texas). So after 3 months of living out of coolers we got back home and have turned it over to the dealer to deal with. All is under warranty. They have had it for two weeks now giving the trailer its annual check up. Still waiting for word on the fix.

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaJG24 View Post
I purchased my Cedar Creek with a Whirlpool Residential Refrigerator. I also purchased an extended warranty through Whirlpool. Beware.... the warranty does not apply to refrigerator installed in RV's. I found that out today when I needed it repaired. There is also an issue with obtaining service. RV dealers say they don't work on residential refrigerator and home service techs don't work on RV's. The warranty I received was direct from Whirlpool. They take your money and never tell you it doesn't apply to RV's. There is a paragraph in the contract under commercial that says RV's are excluded. I contacted Forest River Cedar Creek division and they confirmed for me that Whirlpool does that. They were very nice but that doesn't help when you think your covered and your not. By the way the refrigerator is less than a year old and only used 6 months. No cooling either in ref area or freezer. Has anyone else had this issue?
4 steps to getting it repaired under that warranty.

1. Take it out of the camper
2. Put it in your garage
3. Call Whirlpool and have them fix it
4. Put it back in your camper!!
Old 05-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

2. Put it in your garage
Excellent advice!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

2. Put it in your garage

How do you take the residential refrigerator out of the camper? My Whirlpool will not fit thu the door
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator