Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator Question - Georgetown

Maiden Voyage.

How long can I run the fridge on the batteries? The Coach batteries are brand new (qty 2). The fridge will be the only thing running until we leave for the weekend. Most likely I'll have it on for about 12 hours before we leave and another hour before we arrive at our destination.

How long does it take for the fridge to get cold before we stock it? Maybe I don't need to run it as long before we leave.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
bigdaddy1

Are you plugged into at least 30 amp before you leave? I have a residential frig that runs while we are in route from home to the next CG and have not so far had any change to the temp. We have not dry camp so far so can not give an good answer to your question but as far as traveling from one destination to another good results so far.

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
Are you plugged into at least 30 amp before you leave? I have a residential frig that runs while we are in route from home to the next CG and have not so far had any change to the temp. We have not dry camp so far so can not give an good answer to your question but as far as traveling from one destination to another good results so far.
Thanks

Unfortunately I won't be plugged in as our Coach is at a storage lot. We just took delivery of the 2014 Georgetown 328tsf. It was a leftover so we asked the dealer to out new batteries in it. I believe they are 12 volt (27 series deep cycle). Hate to have dead batteries before we leave.

Not sure how long this fridge takes to get cold. Maybe I only need to run the fridge on the inventor for 4 or 5 hours. Just not sure.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

start your MH for a bit during the time out. that will let it run off some charge. It doesnt take very long for temp to go down thats for sure mine takes less then 30 mins to get cold enough to put stuff in it.
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
start your MH for a bit during the time out. that will let it run off some charge. It doesnt take very long for temp to go down thats for sure mine takes less then 30 mins to get cold enough to put stuff in it.
Great. Wasn't sure how long it took to get cold. We'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

turn off the ice maker to extend battery life.
KK
kenkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Rodney & Patty

We always start out with ours cold before heading out - we actually keep the fridge and freezer full and plugged in all season long. Since this unit is our first with a residential fridge I was a bit apprehensive and did some dry runs before heading out on the road. With the 2 dealer installed batteries fully charged I was able to get 24 & 26 hours respectively with my backyard tests, keep in mind that this was the refrigerator / freezer only, no cabin lighting or fans. We have had no problems with the unit while on the road travelling, battery indicator never leaves full. We did however just get back from a 2 week dry camping trip in the Adirondacks. In preparation I added a 3rd battery in the front compartment to have a few extra amps and require less generator running. The first couple of days I was very impressed but by only running the generator 2-3 hours a day my batteries would be low, not dead. The limited runtime was not enough time to peak out all three batteries, but not really an issue.
One thing that I learned midway through our trip is that the invertor draws significant power over time whether the fridge runs or not. The second week when we would call it a night I would turn off the invertor which take the power from the fridge, but being insulated and not being opened till morning it stayed plenty cold on its own. That 6-7 hours each night really eliminated a lot of current draw and helped to maintain my batteries.
All of my fears of a residential unit are gone - really like the extra space now I understand how to use it.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Great information. I was figuring I'd only 6 hours or so at best. Our Class C would run on propane. However this Class A has so much more room overall. This is our maidan voyage before our 15 hour trip to Myrtle Beach. I'm also thinking it gets cold pretty quick.

Curious. I see people mention 6 volt batteries. These look like 12 volt 27 series ever deep cycle.

Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
clr

We start ours at home when we are loading it and in the summer when it is hot inside the unit it takes a couple of hours to cool down to the desired settings. A residential frig is much quicker getting cold than an ammonia absorption type frig.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
Rodney & Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
Great information. I was figuring I'd only 6 hours or so at best. Our Class C would run on propane. However this Class A has so much more room overall. This is our maidan voyage before our 15 hour trip to Myrtle Beach. I'm also thinking it gets cold pretty quick.

Curious. I see people mention 6 volt batteries. These look like 12 volt 27 series ever deep cycle.

Thanks again.
I have considered the change over to the big 6 titans but the math really doesn't support it unless you are a full timer or often camping in cold weather. In that case you get a lot more cold air amp draw protection. The new batteries, additional cabling, and very little additional performance - not a worthwhile investment for me. Good quality deep cycle marine batteries perform quite well these days...

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

I'll add a few comments which you may find helpful.
1. Group 27batts provide around 95 amp hours each and since you may run them down to 50% before they need a recharge...you have a built in 95 amp hours to run your fridge.

2. If you are only going to have 2 batteries...12V true deep cycles are the way to go since if ONE fails...you can STILL run the fridge off of one. With 2 6V batts...if one fails you are up the creek without a fridge.

3. The average modern fridge will use roughly 10DC amps while running. More with defrost on. This means for every HOUR the compressor is on..you've used 10 mp hours. From ambient temp to everything below 40 degrees...you'll have the compressor on full time...so if it takes 4 hours to get to that point...you've used 40 of your 95 amp hours before you start your trip. PLUS whatever your inverter eats up... and whatever OTHER ac or dc needs you have which might in total add 5 amp hours while you are just getting to operating temp.

4.Once op temp is achieved...most people report around 1/3 to 1/2 time compressor operation but outside temps and how often the door is opened will affect this a lot. 24 hours would mean 8 to 12 hours of run time @ 10 amps x hours or 80 to 120 a/h per day. Which is why those who boondock generally will add more batts. Otherwise...two is plenty.

5. My G'town has a 55amp converter which I assume is the same as you have. Figure 4 hours of genny run time to fully recharge your battery bank if you discharge to 50%.

5. Once you are underway in the coach, your alternator will be continuously charging your batts so you have no worries about the drive. Your built in generator is another source of charging power since it powers your built in converter/charger. If you can use a voltmeter... just turn the engine on and check at your battery terminals for over 13.2 to 14.5 volts which will mean your alternator is charging the house batteries. Otherwise...run the genny down the road and don't let the gas tank get below 1/3 since it will shut the genny down at 1/4.

Sounds to me like you are in good shape to keep the food cold and the batteries topped up. If you boondock rather than plug in you might consider a 4 pack of 6V batts...but otherwise you should be good to go.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, refrigerator