Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #1

Residential refrigerators

Since we now have to order our new HG. Story in my "Hello from Florida" thread.

Trying to decide what frig we want. There are two options; a double door RV frig or the residential type frig; which works off 120V with an inverter. Sounds like this is getting to be a popular trend?

At first I said no because of the possibility of doing some boon-docking. According to the manufacturer the batteries would keep their charge for about 24 hours running the frig.

But, the wife likes it. Anyone presently using one in their RV?

Thanks,
Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

I had a dual Propane/AC unit for 15 years in my last RV. I had no choice but to take a residential unit in my 335DS since we bought it off the lot. I was a little concerned but have to admit now that I would never go back. The battery issue is manageable, I have installed a Trimetric and now have confidence of my capacity. Sure I run the genny for an hour or two but I make coffee and use the microwave at the same time. On the road it is no problem since the alternator takes care of everything and we arrive with 100% charged batteries.

That aside, the residential reefer is huge, bigger than what we have at home. I never worry about bringing more food that we might need since there is plenty of room. The icemaker is a plus as well. When getting ready for a trip I used to start the propane unit the day before since they take a lot of time to cool down. That is not necessary with the residential unit as it cools fast, in fact, probably fast enough to just start out with cold food and a warm refrigerator.

On balance...we love it and would never go back.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

There is pros and cons, we have a residential refrigerator on ours now but if I order another camper it will be with the gas/electric refrigerator. We will not ever be to far from Walmart. You have to have more batteries. It's what you like, what the the RV manufacturer likes about the residential refrigerator is they are cheaper, the gas/electric refrigerator cost a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

Agree with others. It really comes down to your style of RVing. We went with the standard refrigerator as it is only two of us and we occasionally boon dock, if that's not your thing, I think a residential fridge would be a good choice. A friend just got a new unit with the residential fridge it is really nice, she as well has said she will not go back to the standard fridge.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We rarely will boondock, so the res. fridge is great. Have 4 6volt batteries to power it when need to it does stay cold for a long time when not under power also

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

Purchased our new unit today with the residential frig.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #7

We are full timing and just love our LG residential fridge!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Mike.Courville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Always Learning

spock123 is one of the first people I've read about who went residential fridge and would go back. Overwhelmingly, the people who make the switch are happy with the decision.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #9

one of the biggest downfalls I see to a residential fridge, if it needs to be replaced, a slide would have to be removed. No way it's coming through the door. Other than that, I can see lots of positives to having one.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
one of the biggest downfalls I see to a residential fridge, if it needs to be replaced, a slide would have to be removed. No way it's coming through the door. Other than that, I can see lots of positives to having one.

Unless, you put in a counter depth fridge in.
Under 28"will fit through the door.

Only problem.... They are triple the price.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Unless, you put in a counter depth fridge in.
Under 28"will fit through the door.

Only problem.... They are triple the price.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Our brand new 2015 Coachmen came with a residential refrigerator. It didn't even make it one trip, died in our driveway. Tried to get it fixed under warranty but that was a nightmare. Finally called Coachmen and told them to get this one out and a new one in. They had to take a slide window out to get it out and the new one in. A massive project, the replacement refrigerator was wider than the one that came out. The refrigerator cabinet had to be rebuilt to fit the new fridge.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #12

We have a residential fridge and would not go back. Really like the refer/inverter setup. Our unit doesnt have room for the 6 volt batteries, so I have three 12 volt batteries. I have used the inverter all day with no drop in the inverter output voltage. Have not run it 24 hours yet. We rarely boondock, although there are often situations where the camper is sitting in a parking lot all day. So far so good.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Even though the salesman said we could get the fridge out the door, I Did NOT takes his word on it. I measured the door frame and fridge on our 2016 Georgetown 369XL tonight.

The door frame is 28 1/2 inches at the narrowest part.
The fridge from the back wall to the front of the fridge (minus the doors) is 26 inches. I guess that is the counter depth spoken of earlier.

I would have to remove the refrigerator doors and the hand rail from the door frame, but at least I know it will fit through if needed. I just hope it is never needed.

I know of a Bounder (less than a year old) that had the fridge removed through the windshield. I don't know which would be worse to remove, the slide or windshield.

Quote:
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #14

Id pop the windshield out way before messing with the slide!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #15

It's interesting... I have seen notes, in fridges, to let them sit after moving. Before plugging them in.

Has anyone removed power while under way?
Is it bad to turn on and off?
With a short drive ( 3-4 hours)
The fridge wouldn't loose much, if any temp.
Have it plugged in at home, no power while underway, turn it back on when you get to the CG??

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #16

Quote:
It's interesting... I have seen notes, in fridges, to let them sit after moving. Before plugging them in.

Has anyone removed power while under way?
Is it bad to turn on and off?
With a short drive ( 3-4 hours)
The fridge wouldn't loose much, if any temp.
Have it plugged in at home, no power while underway, turn it back on when you get to the CG??

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
If you lay a refrigerator on its side then you need to wait several hours before turning it on because the coolant in the compressor needs to settle.

Why not leave the power off? My fridge is off while in storage and then works fine. Also, when it is on (powered) the actual cooling, once to temp, is probably less than 20 min/hr (quess). I guess my point is the fridge compressor does not run 100% of the time. I would imagine you could go for several hours or longer without power without loosing much temp. That would be a good experiment especially if you plan to boondock and want to save battery power.

My main point is I don't think it will damage the fridge if you cycle the power on and off...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:26 AM   #17

Are they still supplying just the "Straps/Cords" to keep the Doors closed while moving? That always looked "Rinky Dink" to me! The Sugatsune latches keep the doors and freezer Secure while looking "Finished" at the same time! Youroo!!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #18

Quote:
It's interesting... I have seen notes, in fridges, to let them sit after moving. Before plugging them in....
I can't see any reason that would be a problem. The compressor cycles all the time with no problem. Th only thing I have ever worried about is turning it off and then on within a couple of minutes so that the compressor tries to start with a remaining pressure head from the previous run. However, during a short power failure that doesn't seem to be a problem.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #19

Everyone should read the owners manual for their residential refrigerator. My Whirlpool states that it has to be 50 degrees or higher to run the fridge. Lower and it has to be shut off. I turn ours on at the start of the camping season and don't shut it off until we put it away for the winter. We don't cycle the power on the fridge in our homes so why do that in the RV?
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #20

Residential refrigerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzworld View Post

We don't cycle the power on the fridge in our homes so why do that in the RV?

Well.... For people that never boondock.. Why have an inverter and a ton of batteries?

If it's ok to turn the freight off and on, and you never dry camp, why have an inverter?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
refrigerator