Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

Exclamation Rockwood 2304 DS refrig problem

I have a 2016 Rockwood 2304 DS, and we love the room. However, the refrigerator goes out often. If two of the blue lights that indicate low median or high on temp control starts blinking, the thermo fuse has gone out. the manual says do not turn on and see the dealer. According to my dealer, Rockwood is aware of the problem but I have not heard of a lasting fix. Mine has gone out 5 times. Each time was when I was on the road and in the summer. It happened often enough that the dealer started trading my blown fuse assembly for a new one. They cost about $50.00 if you buy them. The fuse is a 152 deg. C thermo fuse. I keep 5 spare ones at all times. I have also wired around the fuse to get to a dealer to get another one or wait for one to come in. I am starting to wonder if Rockwood will find a fix to the problem, and if they do, will I be notified and my unit fixed for good. I have considered buying the fuses in bulk and rigging us a method to just replace the fuse and not the entire wire and plug. If someone has a more lasting fix, please let me know.
TravelingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Have you tried going to the Mfg directly with this problem sometimes you will get better results. Let the forum know what shakes out
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #3

Are you suggesting contacting Forest River or the refrigerator manufacture. The problem, according to my dealer is only with units where the refrigerator is in the slide.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

The refrigerator manufacturer. What is the make and model of the fridge? Does the contents of the fridge stay cool inside? Do you have the vents on the side of the slide free and clear of obstructions? It may be building up too much heat inside and causing the failures.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

It is a Dometic DMR702. When it is working, everything stay cold. In fact, I have to put it on the lowest setting after a few days or things in the lower section start to freeze. There are no obstructions, such as screens, over the vents on the slide. I also think it is heat build-up causing the failures, but it only seems to happen when I am moving down the road.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Sorry I haven't responded to you. It seems that there has been many problems with the Dometic DMR702. Take a look at the threads I listed below.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ems-87867.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ms-137508.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-131331.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ge-113378.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-76417.html

This is about all I can do at the moment as I'm getting ready to go to my camper for the next 5 days so I have to hit the sack. If I get a good connection (50-50 chance) when I get there I will try to be of more service.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #7

I see this is a known problem not fixed by the manufacturer. My solution is that I buy the thermofuses in bulk, about $5 for 6. I made a set of wires where I just pull the old wire out, pop out the blown fuse, put a new one in and we are back in operation. Entire thing takes about 15 minutes. I have to on hand, plus 4 entire wiring sets with a bullet plug on one end and the large connection on the other.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingChicken View Post
I see this is a known problem not fixed by the manufacturer. My solution is that I buy the thermofuses in bulk, about $5 for 6. I made a set of wires where I just pull the old wire out, pop out the blown fuse, put a new one in and we are back in operation. Entire thing takes about 15 minutes. I have to on hand, plus 4 entire wiring sets with a bullet plug on one end and the large connection on the other.

Question on the thermal fuse . where did you get the 152c rating for this . it seems way high . just trying to find out if this is correct or it's some other temp rating
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #9

The fuse itself says 152C, 240 volts. I got this from the actual fuse from the unit. if you take out the assembly, it is written on the fuse itself. There is a red wire running from the control panel, then doubled back with a black sliding tube cover, then that is attached to the flue pipe. I order them thru amazon. They come out of China, so be sure to pay attention to shipping cost. I got one batch that cost $5 for 5, but shipping was $22.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingChicken View Post
The fuse itself says 152C, 240 volts. I got this from the actual fuse from the unit. if you take out the assembly, it is written on the fuse itself. There is a red wire running from the control panel, then doubled back with a black sliding tube cover, then that is attached to the flue pipe. I order them thru amazon. They come out of China, so be sure to pay attention to shipping cost. I got one batch that cost $5 for 5, but shipping was $22.

Thanks . i know where the fuse is but could not see a rating on it bad eyes

I have a set coming 5 for $9 free shipping . dometic sales them for around $58 . I'll only charge $20 .
PS none of the ones i replace were attached to the flue pipe but were in a bracket directly behind and to the right of it . there is a thermal disc on the flue pipe but that is re-settable .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #11

I meant the wire is attached to the flue pipe, at the re-settable disc.

Tags
2304, rockwood