Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Rockwood Furnace

I have a 2013 Rockwood 2280 with the optional furnace. I purchased this used and it did NOT come with the manual. Before going up to GA over Thanksgiving I tested the furnace in Florida and it worked fine. The only thing I noticed was the temperature gauage was spiked at the high end. I thought nothing wrong about it. When I arrived in GA, and turned it on, all that came out of the unit was cold air. It would stay on for a while then turn off. I checked the thermostat, and it was showing cold. I tried adjusting it, and no change.

This is my first camper, so my question is how do I tell if it is electric or gas? If one or the other...how do I go about troubleshooting what is wrong with it?

David
dscott72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Without the furnace make/model it's hard to tell.
All tt and 5ers furnaces I ever seen are gas only.

TURBS

oc's buddy
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

Any idea where I could locate that information?
dscott72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Go online to the furnace's mfg's website. Make sure you have the model number of the furnace. You should then be able to look your model up and download a manual for it. Most manuals have a troubleshooting section in them. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Team

no RV has an electric furnace, they use propane to heat. but it does use 12v DC battery power to run the fan and the electronics.
make sure you've cleared the air out of the propane lines by lighting the stove first. and turn the propane tank on SLOWLY.

as was said, you should be able to download the manuals for many of the things you have in the popup. like the 3-way fridge, converter, a/c(if you have it), lift system and so on.
the owner's manual would be pretty useless anyway, since it is generic and has nothing specific to your model.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

Furnace operation is fairly simple - you will find 4 wires exiting the furnace - two are 12VDC and ground - The other two are - one going to the thermostat and one that comes back from the thermostat. If easily accessible you can check the 12VDC wires for power (also check fuses). If you have power simply touching the other two together completes that circuit and the furnace runs - Most likely not your problem since the fan runs.

Other stuff -

I have found that in very cold weather (pressure in the propane tanks goes down) if the stove burners are on they will starve the heater for propane.

If the propane lines have air in them it may take several cycles to get the heater to work.

It should work as follows - Turn the thermostat to heat - the heater fan will start - shortly after that burner will try to light - you can usually hear the click as it tries to light. It will try lighting several times. If it senses no heat it will shut own and after a minute two the fan will shut off. You can turn the thermostat Off and back to Heat to repeat the cycle.

If it worked recently I suspect the problem is no propane getting to the burner either because there is air in line or your propane bottle is low (and cold temps) which lowers the pressure in the line. Just had this very thing happen to me on a Rockwood 5th wheel since we are experiencing very cold temps. I turned the the stove burners on then started the furnace. The furnace would not start and would blow cold air. I turned the stove burners off and the furnace would work after a couple of tries.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, rockwood