Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #11

This fan is available as a popular option for camper refrigerators. While yours may or may not be a factory install (you stated you bought it used), many folks install these fans to help the coils "breathe" better. the heat generated on the back of the unit is ducted to the ceiling and out the roof vent, but cooling efficiency can be greatly improved by the addition of the fans. They are generally wired to 12v, and have a built in thermostat that makes them come on above 80 degrees, I think. Some factory ones are rather noisy, but aftermarket fans are available that are very quiet, and draw a very small amount of power from the battery. Once cooled below their set temp, they will shut off. Hope this helps you, as the fan is there to make your fridge work better.
Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #12

Those fans may be solar powered and work off the vent that is installed on the roof of your unit. I saw they sell those as aftermarket items to help keep air moving through the small space between the rear of the fridge and the wall of the unit.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #13

Randy, thanks for that information. Do you know if it would hurt anything by leaving the fuse for the fans out while the camper is not bring used since the fans are to make the fridge work better?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #14

No, it wouldn'f hurt a thing, it would just take longer for the unit to cool back down after returning from a trip..... No problem. It is however useful on hot days while using the fridge, so try to remember to put the fuse back in for those times for a cooler refrigerator! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #15

My fridge developed a leak 2 months after we bought our 2011 Mini lite. Fortunately our 3 month warranty is covering the repair. Our repairman said he spoke to a Dometic tech regarding the repairs ( we had asked him to install a switch to manually turn off that cooling fan at night as the noise keeps me from sleeping) The tech told him that our year model fridge is one of the worst ones Dometic ever made, but that the new cooling unit that was purchased to fix my fridge was a much better version with a bigger set of fins that would work much more efficiently and there was no need for the fan and that he shouldn't even hook it up.
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #16

What year/model do you have?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
My fridge developed a leak 2 months after we bought our 2011 Mini lite. Fortunately our 3 month warranty is covering the repair. Our repairman said he spoke to a Dometic tech regarding the repairs ( we had asked him to install a switch to manually turn off that cooling fan at night as the noise keeps me from sleeping) The tech told him that our year model fridge is one of the worst ones Dometic ever made, but that the new cooling unit that was purchased to fix my fridge was a much better version with a bigger set of fins that would work much more efficiently and there was no need for the fan and that he shouldn't even hook it up.
What year/model?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickdana View Post
What year/model do you have?
My Rocky is a 2011 year model but was built in late 2010. My fridge is the Dometic 2652 2 door, 2 way operation.

2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote