We just bought a 2018 Vibe 224 rls
Now our old trailer had a 3 way fridge
Have to say that we never use propane to run it
Also we were able to park it in our driveway
So we would plug the fridge on 120 and let it cool overnight
Well this one to big to park in the driveway
We have a spot to store it
Wow long story
All I want to know is it safe to run the fridge on propane all night so the fridge is cold the next day
We have no mean to plug it on 120 at the storage area
Thanks

alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

That is exactly what it is meant for. Running the fridge when 110 power is not available. the question comes when you want to run to going down the road. Most people do but there is a side that says that is unsafe.

your batteries will need a little juice to run the ignitor.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

As long as you also have a fully charged battery it is perfectly fine to use the refer on gas.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
As long as you also have a fully charged battery it is perfectly fine to use the refer on gas.

Thanks
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Just be sure it is not covered or in an enclosed area.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Don

Using Fridge on Propane

We run ours on propane when we take off on a trip. On a late May, early April trip of over 1200 miles we ran it on propane and it kept it cooled to 39 degrees in fridge and -1 in freezer. We left all our cold stuff in it. However on our trip out and back there were no tunnels and we turned propane off when we stopped for diesel. We've done that for years with no problems. I've read the pros and cons on the forums and they are about 50/50 on whether you should or should not do it. I elected to do it anyway. Happy traveling.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
We run ours on propane when we take off on a trip. On a late May, early April trip of over 1200 miles we ran it on propane and it kept it cooled to 39 degrees in fridge and -1 in freezer. We left all our cold stuff in it. However on our trip out and back there were no tunnels and we turned propane off when we stopped for diesel. We've done that for years with no problems. I've read the pros and cons on the forums and they are about 50/50 on whether you should or should not do it. I elected to do it anyway. Happy traveling.
X2, I have run mine for several weeks at a time. Does not use much propane and I almost exclusively boondock.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #8

I freeze two 1 gallon bottles of water in the home reefer a few days before my trip, then put them in the camper reefer the day before. It does a great job of pre-cooling, and usually is good for the first day on the road also.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
larryandamy

Fridge on propane

Yes it is OK to run the fridge on propane. That is what it is there for. We run ours on propane most of the time and always a day or two before we leave to fill the cold fridge. We can run the fridge for 2 weeks on one 5 gallon propane tank.
Now the next question is can you run the fridge on propane while driving. You will get a small contingent on this forum that will say no you can't. But 99% of people run the fridge on propane while driving and we have for many years with many different rigs for many thousands of miles. The manufacturers say do not as this is a CYA(Cover Your Ass) for their liability. But the design is failsafe. Which means a single point of failure cannot cause a catastrophic event (explosion/fire...). If the thermocouple does not sense heat, it shuts the propane off. The only issue you will have is the wind blowing out the propane pilot light in high side winds. I added some air baffles on our current rig to minimize this, but we still check the fridge when we stop and if the pilot did get blown out, then we just restart it, but that is very rare. Also, you need to turn off propane when going through long underground tunnels. We just turn it back on when we are through. The fridge will stay cold for 4 to 6 hours without cooling if the door is kept closed.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

No Pilot

Newer RV fridges do not have a pilot lite to blow out and the burner is well shielded to prevent problems with wind. When called for the ignition system will turn on the gas and ignite it then check for flame, if it does not sense flame it will lock out ignition and give some sort of trouble indication.

Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane