Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Running the furnace without propane?

Rookie move here - Our trailer has been in storage since the end of December with the heat set at 65 and the tank valves closed on the propane.

The solar panels worked great, keeping the battery charged and (presumably) the thermostat trying to light the furnace ever since...

What's the likelihood that I've damaged the furnace?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Probably no damage at all. The furnace will attempt to light 3 times, if it doesn't light it goes into a time period before it tries again. The fan motor may continue to run for extended periods. I think that when you turn the propane back on, you'll be fine. When you turn the propane back on, light the burners on the stove first. The stove is most often the furthest thing down the line and the highest (propane is heavier than air). This will bled out any air in the system.

Good luck.

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Infractee

I could not see where it would damage the furnace?? At worst maybe the igniter has a lot of extra wear on it but other than that not sure how anything would be damaged?
I would open the bottles and crank it up, I bet it fires right up.

Me personally, I would not use the furnace to try and keep the unit warm, especially at 65. Winterize that thing and no more worries!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

Thanks RhoZeta - I was hoping to hear that. I'll go back next week and fire it up.

It's not winterized - I'm in So. California, where it was about 85 degrees most of last week. We just forgot to turn the thermostat off after the last trip.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #5

On my furnace, it will try to light 3 times, then lock out the gas valve and igniter. The exhaust fan / blower will continue to run though. If temperature is satisfied, the blower will shut off, and the whole system resets. If it is so cold that the thermostat doesn't get satisfied, the blower continues to run.

you should only have wear and tear on the fan motor.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Thanks RhoZeta - I was hoping to hear that. I'll go back next week and fire it up.

It's not winterized - I'm in So. California, where it was about 85 degrees most of last week. We just forgot to turn the thermostat off after the last trip.
My bad, was thinking you did it for winter storage.

Let us know how she does!

Tags
furnace, propane