Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #1

Running TV from 12 volt receptacle.

In our Rockwood 2608WS we have a 12 volt receptacle outlet in the entertainment center. Would we able to run a TV and a Satellite receiver using a 300 watt inverter inserted into that receptacle when we are not connected to electric. We have 2X6 volt batteries. We charge the batteries when necessary with a small generator.
deewhite0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

No. Or at least most likely no. If the TV and satellite receiver are anywhere close to 300W combined the inverter would need to pull more than 25A out of the outlet which it is not designed to handle. The correct solution would be to install a separate 30A fused 12V power connection to hook up the inverter.

For the TV try to find one that uses an external 12V power supply. That way it can be connected straight to the 12V outlet (might need to build a proper cable) which is much more energy efficient than to convert into 120V AC and back down to whatever the TV uses internally. Modern LED TVs don't pull a lot of amps compared to older flat screens.
For the satellite receiver, I don't know if there are any that run off 12V DC. Worst case they probably can run off a fairly small inverter, depending on current draw.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

We have been using a 12 volt TV for many years now -- love it.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

I would not recommend doing it that way!
Most of those so called 12 volt outlets were not wired or the actual cigar lighter jack is not made to pull more than 10 amps.

On my 30 foot fiver i also had 2 X 6 volt and I put a 2000 watt inverter with remote on and off control, then plugged the 110 shore power into that, THO you need to make damn sure you can turn off or unplug the AC to DC converter!!! Make sure the Fridge is locked into Propane mode. I had my AC circuit breaker panel marked... I was lucky the fridge and AC to DC converter were on the same circuit breaker so I turned them off when connected to the Inverter!

With this setup I could make coffee in the morning without running the Generator
My wife loved this, she hated running the Genny just to make coffee. Especially traveling and stopping in rest areas.

At night hit the Off/On remote kill all 110 power!!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt