Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

RV AC

My AC unit is not cycling right. It won't stop running no matter where you set the thermostat. You have to switch it off to get it to stop and turn it on to start. Has anyone had a similar problem from their AC and any ideas what is wrong?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a chance that you have the fan setting on manual (low or high) instead of auto. The circulation fan will run continuous if set in manual.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
My AC unit is not cycling right. It won't stop running no matter where you set the thermostat. You have to switch it off to get it to stop and turn it on to start. Has anyone had a similar problem from their AC and any ideas what is wrong?
Is it just the fan running all the time, or is the compressor actually engaged full time?

Do you have a digital thermostat? If so then there is a setting for auto on it that often gets overlooked.

EDIT: Dave beat me to it, as I'm a slow typist.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

No it stays running even if you set it on 90°' you have to turn it off and to get it to turn on you have to put the fan to on. Auto won't work. The unit is cooling. I just Weiner if it is the stock Dometic thermostat
Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Not a digital thermostat. Low and high work. Will be heading South to the beach soon and don't want to have any issues
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #6

Wonder. Sorry guys. I should have spell checked it
Old 06-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

How bout a picture of the stat. It's possible is a bad stat which isn't too hard or expensive to replace. A pic would definitely help us though
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #8

You mentioned it is a Dometic brand. Another possible source of the problem might be the relay board.

If you remove the foam filter from the ceiling unit, you will see a metal box. Inside the box is a relay board that controls the air conditioner functions. Check the connectors for a loose wire. There is also a 12 volt automotive style fuse on the relay board. Be certain to disconnect power to the air conditioner circuit before opening the metal relay board box, as it does have 120 volts in part of it.

I had a relay board fail, and it was not too difficult to replace. A replacement relay board is about $50.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips. Some things I never knew to check. How can you tell if the relay board is bad?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

To the OP, mine does the same thing. We run the AC all night with the fan on high. Turn it back to auto, won't shut off. Adjust t-stat up to some unrealistic setting, won't turn off. No matter what, we have to turn it to off. Then, you can turn it back on in auto and all is well.

This is AFTER replacing the t-stat and control box in the AC. Still does it. Original, and replacements did the same thing. We just live with it and it's become the norm to just turn it to off in the morning.

This is one of the new / smaller Dometic 15k BTU units with the small digital t-stats.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #11

Ok, currently at Myrtle Beach campground. Before leaving to get here, I contacted my RV service center. They said my analog thermostat was now discontinued. However, they had a couple of the thermostats in stock. Said it was my problem. I bought one and installed. Couldn't check to see if it worked. Got to the beach and it didn't work. Camping World had the upgrade kit. No installation instructions so it took me an hour or better to figure out how to wire up new relay control module. It works great. Anyone need help let me know. I will try to help.