Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

RV Dish or Direct, Google Fiber at home

Really wanting to add a satellite system to our trailer for use next year. Here is my situation though:
At home we have Google Fiber for our Tv. The posts I have read on here say that the users already have Dish or Direct at home and simply take their receiver to their trailer and viola, it works! My questions are, does any one use Dish or Direct in their trailer and don't have Dish or Direct at home? How does it work for you? Any issues with using it as you go?

Thanks in advance,

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Dish is the only provider that sells pay as you go monthly subscriptions. You buy the equipment, and then buy a month at a time. Otherwise your paying monthly fees for non use times.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Dish is the only provider that sells pay as you go monthly subscriptions. You buy the equipment, and then buy a month at a time. Otherwise your paying monthly fees for non use times.
Thank you this was really helpful. [emoji41]

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #4

An alternarive that you might explore is dump cable, go with either of the sat providers at home, then all you need is a dish, tripod and your RV wired correctly. When you go, take the receivers from home. No guessing or trying to remember what is where. We take our Genie with us so we have all of our programming including pre recorded shows we can watch
Old 10-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

We have direct at home. We had dish but they kept arguing with networks and we kept losing our favorites. We have a dedicated receiver in our trailer. When we go on a trip we just call them and have it activated. When we get home we call again and have it deactivated. We only pay for it while it's in use.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have ATT U-Verse at home (the cable version, not the DirectTV version) and when on the road I have the King Tailgater for Dish. Rather than do the stop and start Dish plan (with taxes it was about $83 a month) I elected to give the Tailgater to my daughter who is a Dish subscriber at home. It cost her $7 a month to add the Tailgater's 211z receiver (which I re-imburse here for a year at a time). She lives nearby so we just borrow the Tailgater when we hit the road (they do not have an RV and never use it).

The upside is obviously that I get traveling satellite for only $84 a year.

The downside is that I don't have local channels. When you use the pay-as-you-go plan and travel around you can notify Dish of your location and they'll make a system change to allow you to get the channels local to where you are (You have to do this each time you move more than 50 miles but its very easy and quick to do). Because my receiver is on my daughter's account, if I were to change the zip location as I travel they would lose the local channels back at their house.

The work around: I use my onboard RV antennae to get local channels and use the satellite for cable channels. In some remote areas I don't get locals at all, pretty easy to live with except for NFL and NBA sports game telecasts which are a bummer if I can't get the locals.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Dish Customer Service and Pay-As-You-Go

Hi ChipBruce...all the answers to your questions provided on this forum are very good and quite accurate. I'd like to add that I no longer use the Dish phone number to activate and/or suspend my Dish service. The "Chat" option on the Dish website seems to be more reliable, especially when you've dealt with Dish reps who DO NOT understand the Pay-As-You-Go plan or whose English skills are lacking in understanding or clarity.

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
An alternarive that you might explore is dump cable, go with either of the sat providers at home, then all you need is a dish, tripod and your RV wired correctly. When you go, take the receivers from home. No guessing or trying to remember what is where. We take our Genie with us so we have all of our programming including pre recorded shows we can watch
Do you have SWM receiver? If so what dish do you use. Found one on Amazon but have not purchased yet.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #9

I use a DirecTV D-12 SD receiver and an 18" dish. Had the receiver and you can still get them on ebay or remanufactured on Amazon. I should note that this is a coax receiver and will connect directly to your coax distribution system in the RV. It is an SD receiver and Directv is no longer installing SD only receivers. I have a Winegard crank up dish, but you can use any 18" DirecTV compatible dish.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #10

I use Dish at home and purchased a new Tailgater satellite from King and a new cable box. I pay an additional $7.00 a month to have the service added to my monthly bill as though I had another TV/Room at my home. Rather than paying for a month to month plan at around $30.00 for three or four months. I went this route and now use the satellite on the deck for the rest of the year to watch Football during the fall and take up to the hunting cabin. $7.00 x 12m months = $84.00. $30 pay as you go x 4 months = $120.00. Adding to your home bill works out a lot better and you can use your system all year.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #11

Good luck with that, 5 bucks to pause, 5 bucks to activate. Eats up you one month block of time in a hurry.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
We have direct at home. We had dish but they kept arguing with networks and we kept losing our favorites. We have a dedicated receiver in our trailer. When we go on a trip we just call them and have it activated. When we get home we call again and have it deactivated. We only pay for it while it's in use.
What number are you calling, we ate dinged 5 bucks for every pause/activate.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Smile Dish

I use Dish on the road with a 211z and carry out dish purchased from Camper World. This is a month to month and you no longer have to call to deactivate the service, just don't pay and they stop the service and cancel ant outstanding bill. Call and pay in advance to restore service. The downside to satellite is well covered in previous posts.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwmiata View Post
Do you have SWM receiver? If so what dish do you use. Found one on Amazon but have not purchased yet.
Yes. The Genie is a SWM only receiver. It is also a wireless system, so I use a mini Genie in the bedroom to view everything recorded on the Genie. I also have a roof mounted Winegard Travler automatic dish that is not used often and a ground based oval dish tripod when I am in the trees. Took a bit of time to get it all working, but now I can watch HD programming almost anywhere.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

I use direct tv and the biggest drawback is when traveling not getting local channels. I have called and once in a while they will change and allow me to get local but usually they say it's a FCC regulation that won't allow it. On other hand when talking with dish owners they seem to be able to change and get local everywhere they go with no problem, which seems strange..One other note is the Dish seems to be a little less expensie, we purchased a additional reciever and it adds $7 to our bill monthly
William5829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyantique View Post
I use Dish on the road with a 211z and carry out dish purchased from Camper World. This is a month to month and you no longer have to call to deactivate the service, just don't pay and they stop the service and cancel ant outstanding bill. Call and pay in advance to restore service. The downside to satellite is well covered in previous posts.
I must have said this 12 times here, but I'll say it again.

I have Direct. I got a DISH service just so I could use an auto HD satellite and setup.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I did what you say above, and stopped the service, they cancelled my account, bam. When I tried to restart it 2 months later, or whatever, they'd require all the back payments, OR start over with a new account. This didn't happen once. It happened 3 times over 18 months. That was enough, I figured I'd learn how to use a portable SwM direct satellite and I have.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #17

I have DISH and replaced my outdated King Dome with the new King Tailgater, much faster setup. With DISH you can pay for only the months you use it and get full HD on the road. We have DISH at home so just take two boxes with us when traveling.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #18

I have kept considering adding satellite TV, but keep putting it off. AT&T has purchased DirectTV, and I am a DirectTV subscriber and have AT&T unlimited data, text, and call smartphones. As long as I have quality cellphone signal or wi-fi I can watch content. Here is the link: DIRECTV App for Mobile Devices

In addition, with the SiriusXM app I can listen to most of the TV programming that doesn't require video (Fox News, Fox Business, CNBC, HLN, etc.)
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I must have said this 12 times here, but I'll say it again.

I have Direct. I got a DISH service just so I could use an auto HD satellite and setup.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I did what you say above, and stopped the service, they cancelled my account, bam. When I tried to restart it 2 months later, or whatever, they'd require all the back payments, OR start over with a new account. This didn't happen once. It happened 3 times over 18 months. That was enough, I figured I'd learn how to use a portable SwM direct satellite and I have.
I'm sorry you had such a hard time. And yep... I've read most of your posts on this. But I have to point out that a lot of folks have great success with the dish pay as you go program. I can't explain your bad experience but I believe it is definitely the exception, not the rule.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #20

I own a company that sells both DISH and DirecTV services. (To be clear, I'm not trying to sell those services on here.) Direct does have a "mobile" service but the equipment is much more expensive than DISH's Tailgater and the start/stop of the services is less flexible.