Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm sorry you had such a hard time. And yep... I've read most of your posts on this. But I have to point out that a lot of folks have great success with the dish pay as you go program. I can't explain your bad experience but I believe it is definitely the exception, not the rule.
We need to meet. LOL

You'll soon discover I AM the exception to MOST rules! I could give a litany of current problems, but I don't want to hurt anyone by laughing too hard.

And yes, many do it great. It may be me.........maybe I'm too dumb to do it right, I don't know. Yes, that truly is a possibility, not just joking. But man, did I try often! NO more. I'm ok with what I have. I have HD, no extra cost, and a setup I can handle on a portable dish. All problems solved

But this issue needs two areas for responses. A) I Have Dish and B) I Have Direct.............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

But this issue needs two areas for responses. A) I Have Dish and B) I Have Direct.............
Actually, lots of areas: A) I do not have Direct at home but do in my RV. A1) This works for me. A2) I like this because.... A3) This does not work for me. A4) I hate this because.....

B) I do not have Dish at home but do in my RV. B1) This works for me. B2) I like this because.... B3) This does not work for me. B4) I hate this because.....

C) I have Direct in both my home and my RV. I'm just watching and offering help.

D) I have Dish in both my home and my RV. I'm just watching and offering help.

There has been a lot of help given to my original questions and I'm deeply appreciative. I'm hoping that this thread helps someone else, as it sure has helped me. Happy Trails...

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #23

In the zone

Lot of good information on this subject but I have another problem. First off my carry out King(Dir TV) antenna seems to have slowed down finding a satellite , sometimes it takes 15 min or longer to make the connection . Sometimes due to trees or other obstacles I have to move it 3-4 times to find a spot where it can connect with the 101 satellite .Is there an app for the I Phone that would allow me to walk around the trailer and know for sure that if I put my dish at this point I will get the sat connection. When we were in Utah in the canyons I spent half a day moving the dish around and finally found a sweet spot . They should put a light on the dishes that blinks when you are in a good spot...BW
William5829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #24
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
For $6 per month, I leave our Direct service in the trailer activated
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by William5829 View Post
Lot of good information on this subject but I have another problem. First off my carry out King(Dir TV) antenna seems to have slowed down finding a satellite , sometimes it takes 15 min or longer to make the connection . Sometimes due to trees or other obstacles I have to move it 3-4 times to find a spot where it can connect with the 101 satellite .Is there an app for the I Phone that would allow me to walk around the trailer and know for sure that if I put my dish at this point I will get the sat connection. When we were in Utah in the canyons I spent half a day moving the dish around and finally found a sweet spot . They should put a light on the dishes that blinks when you are in a good spot...BW

Lots of apps available to locate satellites. I use Dish Pointer Pro. Go to the list of satellites, choose the sat(s) you want to find & it will show them to you in the sky complete with arc line (if looking for more than 1 sat.).
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #26

Dish Pointer Pro also. Combines your camera (view of what is really in front of you) with where the satellites really are (overlay onto your real time picture).

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #27

Lots of good pros/cons here for both Dish & DirecTv. Just depends on your particular situation. But, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents.

I have DirecTv (had it since we had our stick & brick home). Now that we full time, I use our mailing address in Fla. as the "official" address for bills (even though I use paperless), correspondence, special offers etc. I use an address (ie; CG, relative etc) in a "major market" such as New York Metro area, Los Angeles, Chicago (I think). These markets are "national feeds" (another words, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX can be received over a much greater area of the country if not the entire country....I'm working on it )

You will get local programming from that market (including their news of course).

In my case, my "official" mailing address on my account is in Florida but, my "service address" (meaning the location of the equipment) is my daughters home in the New York Metro area.

With this setup, I receive CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX from New York and have so far, been to eastern Tenn, Georgia, Virginia and now Myrtle Beach without signal loss. And, you don't need to call them every time you move just to get locals.

BTW, here in the resort in Myrtle Beach, we have free cable and really no need for satellite so, I called DirecTv and was able to "suspend" my service (allowed to do this for up to 6 months/year). When I'm ready to reactivate, I just call customer service and have them reactivate my service.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #28

Direct TV works for us

When we had Direct TV installed at home several years ago, we told them we planned on using on one of the boxes in our RV, they offered to give us a portable satellite dish and tripod for no charge. We've been using it ever since and have had zero problems with it. We love getting our local stations wherever we go.
ptillett is offline   Reply With Quote