Old 10-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

RV Dish or Direct, Google Fiber at home

Really wanting to add a satellite system to our trailer for use next year. Here is my situation though:
At home we have Google Fiber for our Tv. The posts I have read on here say that the users already have Dish or Direct at home and simply take their receiver to their trailer and viola, it works! My questions are, does any one use Dish or Direct in their trailer and don't have Dish or Direct at home? How does it work for you? Any issues with using it as you go?

Thanks in advance,

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

Dish is the only provider that sells pay as you go monthly subscriptions. You buy the equipment, and then buy a month at a time. Otherwise your paying monthly fees for non use times.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Dish is the only provider that sells pay as you go monthly subscriptions. You buy the equipment, and then buy a month at a time. Otherwise your paying monthly fees for non use times.
Thank you this was really helpful.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

An alternarive that you might explore is dump cable, go with either of the sat providers at home, then all you need is a dish, tripod and your RV wired correctly. When you go, take the receivers from home. No guessing or trying to remember what is where. We take our Genie with us so we have all of our programming including pre recorded shows we can watch
Old 10-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

We have direct at home. We had dish but they kept arguing with networks and we kept losing our favorites. We have a dedicated receiver in our trailer. When we go on a trip we just call them and have it activated. When we get home we call again and have it deactivated. We only pay for it while it's in use.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have ATT U-Verse at home (the cable version, not the DirectTV version) and when on the road I have the King Tailgater for Dish. Rather than do the stop and start Dish plan (with taxes it was about $83 a month) I elected to give the Tailgater to my daughter who is a Dish subscriber at home. It cost her $7 a month to add the Tailgater's 211z receiver (which I re-imburse here for a year at a time). She lives nearby so we just borrow the Tailgater when we hit the road (they do not have an RV and never use it).

The upside is obviously that I get traveling satellite for only $84 a year.

The downside is that I don't have local channels. When you use the pay-as-you-go plan and travel around you can notify Dish of your location and they'll make a system change to allow you to get the channels local to where you are (You have to do this each time you move more than 50 miles but its very easy and quick to do). Because my receiver is on my daughter's account, if I were to change the zip location as I travel they would lose the local channels back at their house.

The work around: I use my onboard RV antennae to get local channels and use the satellite for cable channels. In some remote areas I don't get locals at all, pretty easy to live with except for NFL and NBA sports game telecasts which are a bummer if I can't get the locals.
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Dish Customer Service and Pay-As-You-Go

Hi ChipBruce...all the answers to your questions provided on this forum are very good and quite accurate. I'd like to add that I no longer use the Dish phone number to activate and/or suspend my Dish service. The "Chat" option on the Dish website seems to be more reliable, especially when you've dealt with Dish reps who DO NOT understand the Pay-As-You-Go plan or whose English skills are lacking in understanding or clarity.

Ken
Old 10-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
An alternarive that you might explore is dump cable, go with either of the sat providers at home, then all you need is a dish, tripod and your RV wired correctly. When you go, take the receivers from home. No guessing or trying to remember what is where. We take our Genie with us so we have all of our programming including pre recorded shows we can watch
Do you have SWM receiver? If so what dish do you use. Found one on Amazon but have not purchased yet.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #9

I use a DirecTV D-12 SD receiver and an 18" dish. Had the receiver and you can still get them on ebay or remanufactured on Amazon. I should note that this is a coax receiver and will connect directly to your coax distribution system in the RV. It is an SD receiver and Directv is no longer installing SD only receivers. I have a Winegard crank up dish, but you can use any 18" DirecTV compatible dish.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #10

I use Dish at home and purchased a new Tailgater satellite from King and a new cable box. I pay an additional $7.00 a month to have the service added to my monthly bill as though I had another TV/Room at my home. Rather than paying for a month to month plan at around $30.00 for three or four months. I went this route and now use the satellite on the deck for the rest of the year to watch Football during the fall and take up to the hunting cabin. $7.00 x 12m months = $84.00. $30 pay as you go x 4 months = $120.00. Adding to your home bill works out a lot better and you can use your system all year.