Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

rv leveling for fridge operation

Hi, I've placed my 27q cherokee on some land for the season, and have not been able to level it yet due to circumstances. We only use it on weekends, but each time we leave we are unplugging the power from the coach (hence we have not been able to leave any food in it yet) The coach is not balanced side to side by as much as 3-5 inches I'd say. When we are in the coach the refrigerator works fine, but I'm afraid to leave it running for fear of vapor lock or damage to the refrigerator, is this a valid fear since the unit functions fine when we are there? I need help leveling it and will need a friend with a 3 ton jack to lift it enough to slide some boards under the wheels which is why it hasn't been done yet. Also I don't have a tow vehicle to push/pull the coach, so it has to be jacked up.
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

I think I'd be renting a jack and make it a priority to get the RV leveled side to side. Normally, the maximum accepted amount of "out of level" in any direction is 1/2 a bubble. Much more than that and you are asking for a repair job on the frig. IMHO, you've been lucky not to have your frig on the fritz even now as you've been tempting fate by using it in an un-level condition on weekends.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #3

it should be leveled, I believe front to back is more important than side to side. damage occurs slowly, the chemicals crystalize and finally block circulation. i really dont know how much tolerance it will handle being out of level side to side. Maybe let some air out of 1 side of tires for now
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
I believe front to back is more important than side to side.
That depends on the orientation of the fridge. Out fridge is across the back wall or a rear kitchen.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That depends on the orientation of the fridge. Out fridge is across the back wall or a rear kitchen.
X2, It needs to be leveled in whatever direction the fridge is sitting. Front to back if it's in a side wall and side to side if in the rear wall.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
You are 100% correct.

It MUST be level across the back of the fridge to avoid permanent damage.

It SHOULD be level front to back to keep stuff from falling out when you open the door.

Which direction is CRITICAL (front to back or left to right) is totally dependent on orientation in the kitchen.

In your case, BACK WALL, the critical levelness is left to right.

In my case, a sidewall mount, the critical level is front to back.

Just picture the coils to see why ammonia pooling in the tubes, and not returning quickly to refill the boiler, would result in a low ammonia condition in the boiler and subsequent overheating and failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvpic.gif
Views:	141
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	53877   Click image for larger version

Name:	yhst-17908773761865_2207_2374780.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	53878  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
tjm

Bottle jacks are cheap and easy to use. Put one on each side of the wheels with blocking and jack it up. Make sure toe opposite wheels are chocked.
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, leveling