Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 AM   #1

RV/Marine "UFO" Antenna - not getting reception

Looking for some setup advice as I can't seem to get any signal through the UFO style RV antenna on my 2016 Shasta Oasis 18bh.

Hooked up coax cable to the TV connection (not the satellite connection) inside the trailer. Pushed the button so it's switched to TV/antenna mode vs. cable and the red light is on.

Plugged in a basic 18' Hisense flat screen TV and put it on TV (vs. AV1, AV1, HDMI, etc.).

Thought I hooked everything up correctly, but I don't seem to get anything but a fuzzy screen an any channel I turn it to.

I thought maybe it's the area we're in, but I've tried a few places now, with the same result.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
KingstonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #2

From the TV's on screen setup did you do a channel scan?

And is the tv set to antenna?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #3

Yes. I did a scan of the 70 or 80 channels and it didn't pull in any that had reception. I believe the TV had an option to scan via "Air" or "Cable" and I did both.

Perhaps I'm just not in an area that gets reception.
KingstonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:40 AM   #4

That is possible.

Have you tried another antenna, rabbit ears or mast type?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
fmc

I would check the coax cable. Does the tv work some where else such as in your home?
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

I have the same problem with mine and I found the Cable from antenna to the booster connector at the booster connector is bad, but there is not enough slack in the cable to repair it I'm going to try to remove he antenna from on top and connect a cable to the existing cable then pull it up through the roof repair it the pull it back through.

Harry-O
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Style View Post
I have the same problem with mine and I found the Cable from antenna to the booster connector at the booster connector is bad, but there is not enough slack in the cable to repair it I'm going to try to remove he antenna from on top and connect a cable to the existing cable then pull it up through the roof repair it the pull it back through.

Harry-O
RG59?

If you are going to do that much why not just replace the RG59 with RG6 and two new connectors?

Buy a little extra to work with.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Steelhorzz

Don't know if this will help, but I had problems will all my TVs to begin with. I started checking the wiring and found that EVERY ONE of the coax connectors were loose!
On the TVs, on the antennas, on the back of the "A/B selector. Once tightened up, everything, (pictures and sound) was much better!
Then a tree limb on my street "removed" my platform antenna.
I purchased and had installed a satellite dish for the roof.
Now everything is soooo much clearer! And many more channels!! I just take my boxes from home on my trips and hook them to my TVs.
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

Servicing the antennas on the new trailers we were having a lot of trouble with reception from the multi directional antennas. We had a service rep from the antenna mfr. come to our dealership to help solve our problems. He checked several RVs and said the antennas were working. But we had very little reception. We hooked up a directional antenna and had double the stations and Chrystal clear reception. He said it was because the antenna was focused on those stations, his multi directional antenna was trying to receive from 360 degrees and therefor had weak stations interfering with the stronger stations. When we talked to one of our mfrs. they had us change all the antennas on their fifth wheels we had in stock.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #10

You must scan for digital channels. No more Analog. Must have a digital TV or converter box.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Check your neighbors, we stay at some places where the cheap ant they put on the TT gets no reception. We have become so used to cable/sat TV that we sometimes forget that OTA signals ( especially digital UHF) do not go that far.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

You might also try using an ap like "TV Towers USA". This ap will show you the locaton of all of the TV stations in your vicinity, their azimuth and distance. This makes it easy to figure out which direction to point your antenna.

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonCamper View Post
Yes. I did a scan of the 70 or 80 channels and it didn't pull in any that had reception. I believe the TV had an option to scan via "Air" or "Cable" and I did both.

Perhaps I'm just not in an area that gets reception.
How many channels showed when you scanned via air? My TV sometimes takes 5 minutes or more to scan and it shows how many channels are being found. Sometimes only 6 channels will be found and sometimes more than 50, all depending on my location. The booster has to be on while scanning via air.

Tags
antenna, reception