Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #21

My 5er came with a Toshiba in the living room and a 32" Summit in each bedroom. Never heard of Summit before. I added a 32" Samsung for outside.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
When we did our walk through our sales guy said there's only 3 or 4 tv manufactures for rv's, Jensen, Furrion, Toshiba and one or two other ones. He said they make them specific torv's for bouncing around, heat, humidity and cold specs. Ours came with a LED Toshiba and the picture is actually really good but I went on Toshiba's web site and can't find anything about an rv specific model. I'd at least get a Jensen in there over some off the wall no name one. Also wanted to add there doesn't seem to be any difference in this model (that's in the rv) and one you buy and set up in your house, same model number.
Salesman pure B$ our should I say misinformation strikes again.

Our Jensen box from the factory said nothing about RV or RV use. Its not 12V but you can buy the same TV anywhere Jensens are sold. .......... and I would not recommend one or buy another one.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #23

Installed TV

When we bought our Wildwood at Camping World, it had no TV...just the hook-ups. The sales person said they sell Jensons, but they are over priced and suggested we buy one and have CW install it before we take possession of it. We did, and have been very happy. BTW... the TV we bought was a Best Buy branded Asian manufactured one.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #24

Cheap TV

I will probably catch some grief about this but--- we have a 2013 Windjammer that came with a Konka TV. That is certainly not a known brand, at least I had never heard of it. It has worked perfectly for 5 years and has one of the best pictures we have seen.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #25

Entry level shouldn't mean "cheap". But that's what the RV industry has chosen as its business model...throughout product lines. It's all crap...don't believe me?....pull out all the drawers in your unit, look underneath and behind cabinets, examine plumbing, electrical, ventilation runs and hardware materials. You'll find a bunch of inferior materials coupled with a really low build quality. Behind all the shiny veneer is just a bunch of junk.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #26

There is no such thing as a RV TV. And I don't think you can find a TV that is not an Asian TV. Even RCA is made in Asia. Some might be put together in the US but all is made in Asia. So if you want a higher end TV (Asian) then replace the one in the camper and use it in the Kids room or the kitchen.
Just my two cents!!

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #27
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Okie View Post
There is no such thing as a RV TV. And I don't think you can find a TV that is not an Asian TV. Even RCA is made in Asia. Some might be put together in the US but all is made in Asia. So if you want a higher end TV (Asian) then replace the one in the camper and use it in the Kids room or the kitchen.
Just my two cents!!

Okie
Correct. There is no objective review or technical data to support paying a premium for an "RV TV". The only thing that they can justify is some that work on 12v but many have the power brick and run on 12v anyway. With a little work you have a 12v tv. Many brands you have not heard of and even some you have, come out of the same factories. Look at the picture specs for HD quality and viewing angle. These will give you a good viewing experience. As far as quality anymore it is mostly a crap shoot. I will say I have had great luck with Samsung. Just a FYI, many of Best Buy's Insignia brand are made by Samsung.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Entry level shouldn't mean "cheap". But that's what the RV industry has chosen as its business model...throughout product lines. It's all crap...don't believe me?....pull out all the drawers in your unit, look underneath and behind cabinets, examine plumbing, electrical, ventilation runs and hardware materials. You'll find a bunch of inferior materials coupled with a really low build quality. Behind all the shiny veneer is just a bunch of junk.
Sorry I have to disagree. You are not pulling a house down the road you are pulling a trailer. It has to be built light weight and with thin materials so that a pickup can be able to tow it. Also lighter materials so that the average person can afford it.

Personally I can't afford a Volvo or Freightliner Tractor nor have hundreds of thousands of $ to afford a house like built trailer. Our trailers have always been built well will few issues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #29

I would be certain Forest River made the switch and not the dealer. Would not accept the switch
TVs are all not the same. In camper had Furrion in living area and Seiki tv in bedroom. The tuner in the Seiki would not pick up cable stations at some campgrounds. Went round and round with CW. They socked Forest River for a new Seiki. I told them it’s the make not the individual tv. Same issue occurred an d I returned to CW told them again “it’s the tuner in this make/model”. They socket Forest River again for a new Seiki. I finally contacted Forest River. They AGAIN wanted to replace with another Seiki - I told them NO. Put in a Furrion. They were reluctant but did. They did NoProblem now. One tv went and replaced with Samsung - no problem
All tvs not same
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #30
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I don't know much about TV's but I don't think Jensen is a high end brand. Buying a brand new unit id be looking at a whole lot more then the tv brand.
It most assuredly is not a good brand. Jensen make cheap electronics and a lot of it is rebranded Chinese knock-off stuff. Accept what you get and change it later if you feel the need. You will find that it will do what it should for quite a while before it fails. Or... you might want a super smart TV like a Samsung, but why, when you're 'roughing it' you should be relaxing, outside, with a beer or 3.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #31

All TV's are NOT the same, but Jensen, Furrion, Seiki are NOT name brands like Samsung, Sony, and LG. One thing I have noticed is the the 24" Furrion I have in my hybrid has ports and inputs/outputs on the back that other small 24" TV's do not have. FInding another small screen TV to replace the Furrion might be tough if I ever have to... again considering the ports on the back that are used in my setup.

Whatever you do make sure the TV unit works as intended with all speakers, etc. working as was intended and it is usable for your needs.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #32
txkreddog

Our Coachmen came with what I believe is an off brand, never heard of it before, but it works great. Maybe you can check it out during the PDI. Good luck & happy camping.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #33

I had a Furrion TV in my TT when I purchased it but after the 2017 season, I bought a Samsung Smart TV so I could stream video when using my Verizon phone as a hotspot. It's good to have an unlimited data plan, just saying... I'll keep the Furrion for use on the outside mount when I want to watch conventional TV under the awning at campsites.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #34
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
All TV's are NOT the same, but Jensen, Furrion, Seiki are NOT name brands like Samsung, Sony, and LG. One thing I have noticed is the the 24" Furrion I have in my hybrid has ports and inputs/outputs on the back that other small 24" TV's do not have. FInding another small screen TV to replace the Furrion might be tough if I ever have to... again considering the ports on the back that are used in my setup.

Whatever you do make sure the TV unit works as intended with all speakers, etc. working as was intended and it is usable for your needs.
You are right about all the extras available on the cheap knock-offs compared what you get with the more expensive name brands.

An Alpine car radio, costing over $2000 had only half the features our $400 Chinese unit has, we got 7" screens, Android OS, blue tooth, two separate camera screens (reversing and 'camera'), browser, pdf reader, MS Word doc reader, etc, plus we got GPS inbuilt. The Alpine as with other high-end brands need add-on modules for those extra functions and they cost hundreds of dollars extra.

So the moral of the story is, stick with the el-cheapo until it displeases you.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #35

I took a look on the net and found this re Jensen making special RV tvs ;
http://docs.google.com/gview?embedde..._inflation.pdf
Having had several Jensen tvs I find their picture to be OK not great. I
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #36

Sorry this ; http://asaelectronics.com/jensen-28-led-dc-tv.html
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer05 View Post
So we purchased a Surveyor 243RBS. We haven't picked up yet, supposed to do that Saturday. When we did our initial walk through I noticed the TV in the unit was some off brand Asian TV. Went back and looked at the options our RV has, and it specifically says it is supposed to be a Jensen Tv. Kind of curious whether you guys would let that slide, or ask for the TV that is advertised from the manufacturer.
We are very happy with our 12v Jensen !!!
RV manufacturers will tell you they have the right to change or delete anything the want,,, it is printed on the brochure !!!
SAD but true !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #38

FYI SAMSUNG sucks too !!!! Go read the consumer reviews about them . They are designed to have a 3 to 5 year life span . Its BS really .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
FYI SAMSUNG sucks too !!!! Go read the consumer reviews about them . They are designed to have a 3 to 5 year life span . Its BS really .
I sure hope that is not true about the Jensen !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #40

I have to chuckle at you guys and all the concern(s) about TVs and such. We have come a looong way from what it used to be.....

This is what we had in our '84 Coleman PUP and we really thought we had something!! Got all of 3 channels, 1 fuzzy picture.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote