Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
FYI SAMSUNG sucks too !!!! Go read the consumer reviews about them . They are designed to have a 3 to 5 year life span . Its BS really .
You can say that about any brand. I've seen $3,000 TVs go bad in that time span.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
FYI SAMSUNG sucks too !!!! Go read the consumer reviews about them . They are designed to have a 3 to 5 year life span . Its BS really .
I have had 3 samsung tvs for like 10 years and never had a problem with any of them.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #43
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
I was told rv tv's are differently constructed than a tv for a house . but I didn't open the Jensen up to see if it was true
I was told the same thing by an RV Salesman. I don't believe flatscreen TV's are manufactured differently for an RV! They are all the same....

I had three flats in my 2015 Georgetown 328TS. The 40" Furrion in the front is not a smart TV and I didn't like it...replaced it with a 40" Samsung 4K Smart TV. The 32" Seiki in the bedroom had problems tuning in OTA stations....I replaced it with a 32" Vizio. The 20" outside TV, another Furrion, is doing OK so I will leave it for now.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #44

I guess it depends on the definition of cheap. WalMart has several TV's at a cheap price. I got a 32" Visio for $99 to put in my 5er
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I have to chuckle at you guys and all the concern(s) about TVs and such. We have come a looong way from what it used to be.....

This is what we had in our '84 Coleman PUP and we really thought we had something!! Got all of 3 channels, 1 fuzzy picture.

We had no TV in our 86 Starcraft popup,,, the potty was like a footstool with a bucket in it !!! We were camping !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #46

We are gong on year 6 or 7 with our Samsung tv. But after the issue with the Samsung washer (recall the only fix is to add a panel and disable the feature they charged extra for all repairs done by the lowest bidder direct tv installers in my area)and a friend that bought a Samsung oven 3 years ago and they don’t make repair parts for it I don’t think I will buy many Samsung products any more
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #47
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
This is a puff piece from the company that makes/imports the Jensen products. Notice there is no technical specs to back up the claim.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #48

Possibly a puff piece but the point is the rv sales folks didn't make this up.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #49
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
You can say that about any brand. I've seen $3,000 TVs go bad in that time span.....
As someone who worked for a major consumer electronics manufacturer, I can tell you they are not designed for longevity but are designed by a concept of "planned obsolescence". The time frame will vary for each manufacturer but they all want you to buy a new one not repair the old one. The design may be to leave out a new feature so it becomes desirable to want to buy an upgrade or better specs in the next model. The manufacturer only has to have parts available during the warranty period of the last unit sold per federal law (there are some state laws which are different, i.e. Calif.) but they are not regulated on the pricing. If you want to repair any flat screen tv you can get parts for units 10 years old but the parts will cost you as much as a new unit (example 8 yr old Sony Bravia, new power-supply/scan PCB $785 retail). This makes many service shops just tell you not repairable/no parts to save time. Every brand has issues and there are a million stories good and bad about each product. The best thing you can do, is your homework. Go and check out the product in person at a retailer, look at the specs, educate yourself as to what each spec means, and use forums like this to compare other user experiences.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 03-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #50
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Possibly a puff piece but the point is the rv sales folks didn't make this up.
Yes, they did. I have seen the inside of a Jensen and its frame is no better than an off the shelf Visio. The PCBs are not any different in their construction. The sales people make vague claims of "made for RVs" but don't back it up with facts. If the tv was so great then every RV manufacturer would use it. They don't. I have seen Furion, Samsung, Visio, Jensen, Sony and many others in units. They use the one they get the best price for or can use as a selling point and that is the bottom line.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 03-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #51

Still missing my point. If you were an rv salesman and the manufacturer claimed "xyz" you would pass that on to the consumer. The originator of this discussion mentioned this.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

The only time I’ve seen an ‘RV’ TV it was one that was built to run on 12v. The 19” Konka that came with our trailer couldn’t even run on 12v. The 32” Insignia we bought from Best Buy when we wanted a bigger TV was meant for a normal house, but thanks to the fact it used a power brick, it ran on 12v.

The 19” Konka was then relegated to the kids bunkhouse so we could send them to their room to watch their movies instead of being in the way when making dinner, etc...
Old 03-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #53
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Still missing my point. If you were an rv salesman and the manufacturer claimed "xyz" you would pass that on to the consumer. The originator of this discussion mentioned this.
Actually the originator only said he was supposed to get one in the RV. He didn't say anything about being built for RVs. The rest of us sent the discussion in this direction.
The salesman in this case is not quoted one way or the other.
My point is that it is up to us to call out these bogus claims and keep the community informed where possible.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 03-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Actually the originator only said he was supposed to get one in the RV. He didn't say anything about being built for RVs. The rest of us sent the discussion in this direction.
The salesman in this case is not quoted one way or the other.
My point is that it is up to us to call out these bogus claims and keep the community informed where possible.
And it's a full-time job!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #55
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
And it's a full-time job!

And then some

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 03-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #56
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullis View Post
I was told the same thing by an RV Salesman. I don't believe flatscreen TV's are manufactured differently for an RV! They are all the same....
Of course it is absolute rubbish. If you want to know REAL facts, more than half the TV's on the market are made by the same manufacturers.

LCD and LED technology is made in only two places in the world and in China. The plastic housing for the screen in made in a different place, in China.

The electronics that put the video stuff onto the screen and squeeze out the lousy sound from those tiny, tinny speakers is also made in China, in a different factory or 3. The speakers are in fact made in a different facility, in China. As is all the wire used. For some makers, the wire looms are made in the same facility as the circuit boards and other electronics and are assembled there too.

Most big brands buy their LCD and LED technology from those same companies, but have different specifications which match their budgets, but more often than not, they are using the same screen and circuit boards and wire looms. The same goes for the quality of speakers and the rest of the components. Even Loewe buy their screens from these manufacturers.

I presume you know that Mercedes is made in China.

There is nothing inherently wrong with any of this, it comes to economies of scale. Pay more, get better quality because different parts of the factories make the components to different sets of specifications and standards and they are inspected and approved at different tolerance levels.

As I said at the start. Keep the el-cheapo TV until it no longer suits your needs or fails. This is particularly true with electronics. Don't pay big bucks for things that do nothing more than the cheap stuff, just because you like a brand name flashing it's name all over the screen.

Where the differences are is in manufacturing tolerances and the facilities the device provides. The only caveat I add to this is that there are some brands that do make and assemble their own stuff in house (even though there will always be some components made by others and typically somewhere in China), and for the privilege you will pay more. Take Oppo as an example, made in China, expensive but absolutely worth every penny. Does exactly (almost) the same as any other Blu-ray player, but with so much more functionality and finesse, which you pay for.

Sorry about the sermon.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #57

Reminds me of the story by the father of a friend of mine. Back in the 1970's,my friends father repaired gas station gas pumps for a living. The gas pump manufacturers were just starting to go from the mechanical numbered wheels that turned to show gallons and price to the digital versions.

My friends father was sent to a class at the manufacturer to learn how the new pumps worked and how to repair them. Of course, digital watches were also coming out at that time. Some guy in the class flashed his fancy expensive (several hundred dollars at that time) digital watch and bragged about how great it was. (I don't recall the brand, but it was something considered fancy; not a Rolex, but something similar - Breitling, Cartier, Omega, something like that).

So the instructor showed the guy his $50 Timex. Then he opened up both watches and showed the guy that the guts were exactly the same!! You pay for the "name." (And maybe some gold in the case.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #58

I have a Jensen 32 120V TV that came with my trailer it has worked ok but the sound is now so low you can't hear it. Picture is good but I would of rather of had some other brand. I have installed a 12v led Vizio in the bedroom which has a great picture and sound and uses very little power compared to a old RCA 12v I had before. The Jensen is quite a bit heaver in weight compared to my 32inch flat screen Sony of about the same year in age.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #59

Jensen speakers are junk, too.
Herdboar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #60
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdboar3 View Post
Jensen speakers are junk, too.
Of course they are, but
a you get what you pay for, even if you don't realize that is what they were selling you.
b if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
c if it is broke, toss it.
d if you have the financial resources, please yourself, replace everything, or maybe buy a hotel instead.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote