Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Safe t alert alarm updates?

I have the dual LP/CO alarm as mentioned in the title. It is mounted beneath fridge just inside front door. Last night the CO portion started going off every 25 seconds accompanied by alternating green-red flashing. This has happened once before and was easily corrected by turning off all power to TT to reset detector. I attempted that last night but without success. I have opened all vents and door to aerate TT. LP is turned off and excess burned off via stove. Furnace turned off. There is no odor from septic tank. No cleaners, aerosols, etc. were used prior to alarm going off. Battery Disconnect is engaged as I have been on shore power for 2 months. Batteries are fully charged and TT is < 1 year old so should be good. I can't find a valid reason for the alarm to be going off. I haven't yet removed the alarm to check expiration date but end-of-cycle shouldn't be close as TT is < 12 months old. I haven't had an excess of methane and I'm not aware of the dog having flatulence either. I totally disconnected from shore power and had batteries disconnected last night in order to get some sleep.

I've read multiple reports on this forum about this syndrome. Has anyone here or the manufacturer found a valid reason for this to be occurring and if so an easy fix.

Getting frustrated and ready to pull the damn thing and get an inexpensive plug-in unit. What's the point in having a safety device if one feels compelled to unplug it because of an irritating defect?

2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel DRW
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2608 WS
2013 Days Camping: 61
2014 Days Camping: 200+
TxTravelingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #2

Found my dealer-provided brochure on the alarm. Per the alarm code chart the device has malfunctioned. Have a call into dealership to order a replacement. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time. In the 9 months I've had this Rockwood I've already replaced the furnace module and electric jack and now the CO/LP detector. This doesn't speak well for a Forest River product.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safe T Alert Warning Messages.pdf (1.50 MB, 81 views)

Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

None of the items you have had replaced are a Forest River product. They are all suppliers to Forest River, The same parts used by most all of the trailer company,s. They are all warranted by there respective company,s.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
None of the items you have had replaced are a Forest River product. They are all suppliers to Forest River, The same parts used by most all of the trailer company,s. They are all warranted by there respective company,s.
I'm aware Forest River for the most part only owns the design of the shell and parts are supplied by Konika, Genesis, Dexter Axles, Dometic, Suburban, etc. FR's reputation however is affected by the seemingly high failure rate of these outsourced components. Are the manufacturers of these components that limited? Does FR and other RV manufacturers put any heat on these component manufacturers due to failure rates?

The big 3 auto manufacturers don't make 100% of their components either but I doubt they have a failure rate even remotely as high as the RV industry. I don't think they would tolerate it for very long.

Computer manufacturers don't make all of their components either; mother boards from one manufacturer, CPU from another, etc. They would go out of business very quickly if they had a failure rate of components this high.

To put it in perspective, in the 9 vehicles I've driven during the last 40 years I've had only 1 failure, a fuel gauge monitor on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've had 3 in 9 months with this TT. That doesn't give me much confidence in the product.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTravelingRN View Post
... in the 9 vehicles I've driven during the last 40 years I've had only 1 failure, a fuel gauge monitor on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Damn lucky I say.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

My alarm failed and the trailer is 3 months out of warranty. Dealer would not help me. I tried and tried to contact someone at the manufacturer but they neatly hide behind a phone system that is impossible. I left a message on the main voice-mail but haven't heard from anybody.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #7

Buy a new one on Amazon: MTI 35-742W White LP and Carbon Monoxide Flush Mount Detector and replace it yourself. Should be easy.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
Buy a new one on Amazon: MTI 35-742W White LP and Carbon Monoxide Flush Mount Detector and replace it yourself. Should be easy.
Replacing is dirt simple but this unit is only a year old and should be under a manufacturers warranty. If nothing else there is an address on the unit that says send in for repair. If I don't get a return call tomorrow I will send it in. Just wanted to talk to a human about this.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
My alarm failed and the trailer is 3 months out of warranty. Dealer would not help me. I tried and tried to contact someone at the manufacturer but they neatly hide behind a phone system that is impossible. I left a message on the main voice-mail but haven't heard from anybody.
Sorry to hear your dealer wouldn't help.

I contacted mine and, though initially reluctant to do anything without seeing the unit, they gave in after I pressed. I am 1200 miles from my dealer, 2.5 hrs from a FR dealership so driving to get a < 1 pound part replaced was out of the question. The dealership contacted the manufacturer (MTI Industries) and made arrangements for me to send the part to them. I initially had trouble contacting manufacturer but was able to speak to a real person eventually. They arranged for me to FedEx sensor to them where they will inspect and repair or replace if necessary. If it fails again I will find alternative manufacturer.

Good luck on getting yours replaced.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
Damn lucky I say.

"I've had 3 in 9 months with this TT." and unlucky.