Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Satellite Coax Problems

I have a new (2015) Salem Hemisphere 272RLIS.

This trailer has a park cable input and 2 Sat In Ports mounted at the rear of the trailer. These are clearly labeled. There is also a park cable outlet on the side of the trailer to use when moving the tv outside.

In the bedroom is a wall plate with two outlets and the power switch for the roof antenna. Neither is labeled.

In the living room there are two outlets, neither is labeled.

I can get park cable to work, however I recently purchase a King Flex Antenna for DirecTV. Trying to use the sat antenna inputs on the rear I can get NO signal from either outlet in the living room from either sat input.

Anybody got any ideas. Satellite antenna works by routing its cable through the door, just can't get a signal by using the trailer wiring.
ram4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #2

I'm having the same problem. Someone please help.
Eltonnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

Me too. Can't seem to get a straight answer on here or the Techie's. I just use a flat coax wire thru the window. It works.
Samslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

Make sure the booster is turned off, you can put tone on the wires outside and check inside but the sats should b a home run, no other connections or splitters.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Knowing my trailer is probably UNlike any of yours, I will submit that the only way (as far as I know) I could get my DIRECTV SWM antenna to drive my primary and secondary satellite controllers in the trailer was to run the lead from my antenna to the Sat 2 connector in my input panel and to use the second coax connection in my entertainment center and behind my primary TV as the satellite antenna input. Meaning, on the inside, I did not use the coax that was providing OTA antenna signal to the main TV. From this secondary coax, I connected the DIRECTV power inserter and the provided splitter (making sure to connect to the correct splitter connections so as to pass inserter power through to the LNB on the antenna). Then from the splitter, I ran one lead to the primary controller (Genie) [stop here and test for signal acquisition] and one lead to the primary input coax that had been providing antenna (OTA) signal to the main TV. This output to the primary OTA antenna provided signal to the bedroom TV connection where the antenna booster button/light live. I connected a coax from this outlet in the bedroom to my mini-Genie controller and from there to the bedroom TV and all worked as designed.

I learned from reading pages of forum entries that all coax from the sat. antenna through to controllers must be the heavier coax (RG6 instead of RG59) and good connectors/connections, not the crimped on kind.

I suggest that any and all of you do a Search for DIRECTV and DIRECT TV and you will find several threads that are helpful on this topic. I found them, learned from them, contributed to some. Try it.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samslik View Post
Me too. Can't seem to get a straight answer on here or the Techie's. I just use a flat coax wire thru the window. It works.
At this writing, you have a total of 2 posts... this one saying you can't get a straight answer. Where is your post asking us for a straight answer? Your other post doesn't ask for a straight answer. I'm confused.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 03-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I fixed the cable problems on my new 2016 Wildcat 295rsx. My issues and fix may be relevant here.

SHORT VERSION: Five (5) of the seven (7) coax connectors in the wall were loose and the cable almost fell out of the connector because it was so loose. FR is using the hand twist, non-crimp style connectors. When properly twisted, they are almost impossible to remove. If not properly twisted, bad connection. I re-stripped the cable ends and re-seated each of the connectors. Both TVs now get 45 channels at that park.

LONG VERSION: The 295 came with 2 televisions, one in the Living Room and one in the bedroom. Our initial campout was a short 40mile run to a nearby state park. The park is close enough to the city that I know there is good reception for over-the-air digital channels. So after getting the trailer settled, I raised the Antennae and had the LivRm TV do a channel scan. It only found 3 digital channels. Then I had the BedRm TV do a channel scan and it found more, 12 digital channels. This is all without me rotating the antennae. Problem is that both TVs should have found the same number.

I took the BedRm TV off the mount (it’s an LED TV and very, light and easy to remove) and took in the LivRm. I disconnected the coax off the LivRm TV and plugged it into the BedRm TV and redid the scan. The BedRm TV now only got 3 channels. Conclusion: It's not a TV problem, it’s a cable problem.

Next, back to the bedroom and I unscrewed and carefully pulled the 2 coax/amp wallplate out. I say carefully, because there are a bunch of coaxes stuffed in there. If one comes loose before you grab and pull it out, it will be wire fishing time and a miserable day. Just pull the plate out slowly and carefully, try to pull each of the cables out individually thru the open plate hole. You will be ready to work when you have pulled out all the cables, including a 2-way splitter that's been stuffed into the wall.

See the owner manual that came with your trailer and perhaps use a sharpie to mark the wires BEFORE you disconnect them. This bedroom amp jack is where all the coaxes come to rest. The front of the plate has a coax labeled Cable and one labeled Satellite. When you pull it and look at the back, you can find a second connection for Cable and connected to that is a splitter that splits the signal back to the LivRm and a line that goes to the storage bin or outside TV. Satellite #1 comes in here also.

I fixed all the connectors, however the two (2) that were the real bad boys were A) the short lead that goes from Cable#2 to the splitter for LivRm & Ouside and B) The LivRm line off the splitter.

I did not do any checks on the Satellite lines, although I did verify and/or fix connectors as needed.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Ithink we all got the same rookie, he, or she, just changed production lines!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #9

you want a good clean crimp on connection, no shorts and no loss will improve reception.

Wildwood 241QBXL
Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #10

I think I have the same problem, I just brought home a 2016 Viking 17 fq today and my antenna is not working, the light for the boost comes on but I get a "no signal" on my TV. As it is so new maybe I am missing something, I am hoping maybe someone has an easy fix before I have to go back to the dealership
akraut4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
Site Team

Crickets....................................

Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Crickets....................................
Good one! If a person doesn't have a way to 'tone' a wire, I've taken a 50' cable,screwed it on to the outside connection, brought the loose end in, got out meter and ohm'd the center signal wire with one probe and into wall connector to verify plugs labeled right. it's only a starting point.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #13

Start dirty and cheap, check the cable ends and the connectors. You could turn off the booster, short out the plugs to the ground one at a time and check for continuity. If your home runs are good , bypass the amplifier and put a barrel end to the plug going to the tv and check the signal. Usually the cable run and satellite run are different color wires, make sure they are connected correctly.

Wildwood 241QBXL

Tags
satellite