Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #31
No they did not. If I do that what do I do with my Hopper and Joey?

2014 Shasta Phoenix 32RE 5th wheel.
2015 F250 crew cab 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4.
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #32
Dish Tailgator Issues

My Neighbor next to me in our Campground has a Tailgater unit and it is a pain. (PITA) It takes forever to go thru the setup. Don't touch anything for 30 mins. Then it looks in. Then when we change channels it will take 5 mins to find the right Sat and lock in. I can get it to work after playing with it for an hour, but after he shuts down over night it is dead looking for signal the next time on. My opinion is Tailgater is not very good. I have been a installer of Dish systems for years and plain old Dish that you setup on a tripod is cheap and the best. Since these systems are now using 3 to 5 satellites to receive all the stations and HD. Locals also. It will always take time to move from one sat to another, I am a DW worst night mare for channel surfing so that doesn't help either. LOL

speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
Jeffco, MO
When we were in Northern Florida last month we had problems also with our Tailgater that I have had for three years. Others have given you a number of checks. Here is another. The Echo star satellites are at an azimuth of about 222 degrees or Southwest and not directly South. Make sure you have a clear view of the southwest. Next, disconnect the cable from the Tailgater and move the Tailgater a few feet. When you reconnect the cable to the Tailgater you should hear the motor inside looking for the satellites. If not either the receiver is not sending the power to the Tailgater, the Tailgater is bad or the cable is bad.
Last, but not least, I look for other Tailgaters in the RV park and question the owners on how their setup went.
I also had to call Dish to have them send the signal to my new location.
You should also be able to get the setup screen so you can tell the Dish tech what your R & S numbers are.
Good luck on fixing your problem.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -20 so far
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #34
I have had a tripod and now have the x2. The x2 is light years ahead of using a manual dish. I can't speak for the tailgater but I am up and watching tv in 10 minutes and I can do other things while it does its magic.

I have also gone weeks without having it hooked up with no issue so I disagree that you need to hook it up at home. In fact, depending on how many lines they ran from your dish you will not be able to run it alongside a hopper as your other lines are clients of the hopper. If you have additional lines coming in not going to the hopper you will be ok. Either way it should not be necessary after a few weeks or even a month of inactivity.
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #35
Satellite has no signal

By the way my vote is a bad tailgater or coax. Like I mentioned before, your symptoms are exactly the same as mine when I had it working, then unhooked the dish because I was away from the campsite for a few days and forgot to rehook up the coax. The receiver has no reason to show the setup menu because it didn't recognize the dish was connected so it just thinks the signal is bad. Once I reconnected the x2, the setup menu showed right up with no reset.
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #36
I have a standard tailgater that I used with an older VP211 receiver. I used the sat inputs with no problem with the tailgater. Long story short I got a brand new VP211z, hooked up the Tailgater the old way and got nothing. I have the wiring maintenance plan and Dish sent a tech out to figure out what was happening. Bottom line is the old input where we attached the Tailgater has a splitter that goes to the living room and the bedroom and the older smaller kind of barrel, so the new receiver would not work.

Had to create a new input for the new receiver where the tailgater was directly attached worked great.

Try this: Take receiver outside along with a TV. Hook up the tailgater directly to the receiver and attach the TV to the HMDI port. When you run the setup make sure that you get the compass heading and use a compass that you buy from Walmart for $6 or so and point the Tailgater in the right place, do the set up and see if it works. I would bet it will. I have always done the compass thing and never had a problem.

Let us know what happens.

Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #37
Originally Posted by Fred and Christine View Post
When we bought our tailgater the dish rep said I would need to have my receiver plugged into my home dish to keep the receiver current. If the receiver has been sitting unused for weeks it won't find a signal. Did Dish customer service tell you anything like that? If you have dish at home you may want to test the receiver at home.
This would completely defeat the idea and marketing of having Dish in a RV.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #38
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
No they did not. If I do that what do I do with my Hopper and Joey?
I have the tailgater, vp211 and Hopper/Joey system at home. At home I have my vp211 attached to my tv in my computer room. I ran a coax from the swith to my computer room spearate from my Hopper/Joey. All others are on the Hopper & Joey. That way my vp211 is always up to date. Dish will make an exception when you have an RV and allow the vp211 set up with your Hopper/Joey system. I'm on the road now. All I have to do is call Dish Tech Support and have them add the locals in the area I am at to the vp211. When get home, I call them back and they switch it back. Had no problems with my system. Good luck with your trouble shooting.
stansoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #39
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I've got Direct and a king Flex.... bought a receiver off e-bay for the trailer and for $6 a month, it always works, even after sitting idle for a length of time. You can call direct and have it turned off and on as Dish pay as you go offers. If I want to use my outside tv, I take a receiver from the house, and we can watch different programs at the same time.
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #40
Your receiver doesn't care if it's hooked up to your home dish it only needs to be connected to A dish. Dish network sends updates out quite often and if you miss to many your receiver will be too far behind to work.
I know this because last year the DW and I were semi full timing it for 10 months. When we came home I found a home receiver had been disconnected for most of that time. When I connected it back up it would not receive anything, not even the program guide. It took almost a half hour working with the Dish tech to bring it back up to date and functional.

Joel K
Southeast AZ
2013 Coachman Mirada 29DSSE
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote