Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Satellite Help

So the camping season is over here in Michigan and I am considering purchasing a Winegard portable satellite system (Playmaker?) for my 2017 Cherokee 274 VFK. However, I was told my a dealer that my camper does not currently support satellite tv and I need to have a dedicated line installed to the price of about $500.00 not including the satellite and receiver.

My question is that on the camper, there is a coaxial hook-up on the side-rear of the camper that I have used to connect to the campground cable, all I needed to do was shut off the power booster and then run the usual tv channel scan option on my tv and I had all the channels. Is there anyway to modify the existing connection points in my camper so I can use satellite?
Danno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

I made up my own connections through the side walls. One for the LR and one for the BR. Each one is into a cabinet near the TV's. They sell a kit to do it, got 2 kits and some Dicor to seal. Easy and does the trick.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
clr

It is true that you need a straight coax type connection between the Sat receiver and the outside of your camper. The one coax on the side of your unit is for the purpose of cable TV as you have stated. This cable does most likely terminate on the back of the face plate closest to the over the air antenna. Likely this is where the button to switch between the over the air and cable connection is.
It is possible to use this coax for your Sat receiver but you would have to remove the coax from the back of the face-plate and terminate it directly on your receiver. So it would be difficult to switch back and forth if required. You may want to consider running another coax for Sat use as the dealer suggested, but the cost seems high to me. If you are a DYI type person you could run this additional coax for 40 bucks or less. Hope this helps.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Your existing wall plate can be modified to accept a Sat signal from the outside without running a new cable. I did a write up on this site somewhere. Try Mod My RV also.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

You could do as clr says and just connect that face plate cable input to a $5 A/B switch with one output back to the face plate and the other output to your SAT receiver. Just switch between A (cable) or B (SAT) for your viewing choice. The SAT antenna input to the receiver will pass through an A/B switch without issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite