Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Satellite Hookup

Our Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite is prewired for cable. In the past, I have just ran a coax from the Satellite to the jack on the outside of the RV, then ran from there to the receiver and on to the TV. This has worked great for just 1 TV. Now we have 3 in this RV. Can I still just run the one coax to the outside jack, then another coax from the inside jack beside each TV to the receiver, and then the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? In the past I have just taken one of the receivers from our house and set it up that way. Now with 3 TV's I will need some kind of a different receiver in order to watch different channels on each TV at the same time. Any help?
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

No, you can't do that.

The connection(s) from the dish to your receiver have to be direct with no splitters. If you want to have three receivers, you'll need to have three separate cables from the dish to those receivers. (I believe Dish makes a receiver that will support two TVs, but I'm not really familiar with that.)

I'm not familiar with your Rockwood, but most RVs these days seem to have a "cable" input (for cable-tv) and a separate "Satellite" input, which goes directly to one receiver connection inside.

The outlet at each TV is probably driven by a three-way splitter off of your over-the-air antenna amplifier (which will also deliver signal from that "cable" input when the antenna amplifier is off).

There are ways to have your Sat receiver drive three TVs with the same channel, but for different channels on each TV, you're going to need special wiring for at least two of them.

If you need separate channels for each TV, maybe you don't really want to go camping?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Here is splitter I use with my Directv setup. It passes the DC for the LNB through one side of it. Works great. I do have a separate coax run to a separate receiver in the bedroom. My outside antenna handles 2 receivers.

Holland Electronics MoCA 2-Way Splitter for DirecTV
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
No, you can't do that.

The connection(s) from the dish to your receiver have to be direct with no splitters. If you want to have three receivers, you'll need to have three separate cables from the dish to those receivers. (I believe Dish makes a receiver that will support two TVs, but I'm not really familiar with that.)

I'm not familiar with your Rockwood, but most RVs these days seem to have a "cable" input (for cable-tv) and a separate "Satellite" input, which goes directly to one receiver connection inside.

The outlet at each TV is probably driven by a three-way splitter off of your over-the-air antenna amplifier (which will also deliver signal from that "cable" input when the antenna amplifier is off).

There are ways to have your Sat receiver drive three TVs with the same channel, but for different channels on each TV, you're going to need special wiring for at least two of them.

If you need separate channels for each TV, maybe you don't really want to go camping?
Maybe thats the only way he "can" go camping! LOL
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Thanks for your opinion. But I would say that someone who has a yearly leased lot, that has built a deck and a covered structure, and spends every weekend at that site with 75 other leasers, does in fact like to go camping. Notall women like the Outdoor Channel or football games. Thus the desire for more than one channel on each TV
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

I also use a 2-way splitter with our DirectTV in order to run a seperate cable to the bedroom.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Satellite hookup

Must be several of us that either don't like to go camping or can't go. Huh, Barry
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

We have Dish for our Sierra. We can view two differant receiver channels. The living room is channel 1, the bedroom and outside are combined, these TV are on receiver channel 2. You can find wiring information on Dish Network web site. Some mods may need to be made to your trailer.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote