Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #1

Satellite hookup...video out questions

I'll try and not confuse anyone to the level I'm currently at.

07 Wildcat 29RKBS.
Concetone ZX600.

After reading through the Concertone issues on hooking up a satellite feed I saw a few times it was mentioned that if you only have one outside coax hookup it runs to the antenna booster. Which it sounds like wont transmit a satellite signal due to DC voltage from the sat box? I did try running my sat through the outside coax port and got nothing anywhere. (sat already dialed in)

Here's my attempt at what I am currently seeing.

1.) Any suggestions on the best way to get this taken care of?

2.) Also, what exactly do the two TV VIDEO OUT jacks actually accomplish? One in the bedroom, one in the living room? The both seem to route back through the Concertone

3.) Also, I assume the ant lead that goes to the splitter with one run going to the Concertone is strictly to run audio for antenna broadcasts through the speakers?

4.) And last question...where do the two coax' go from the looped outlet, into the wall and then up to???

Way2nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #2

Well usually the "park cable in" doesn't go to the amplifier plate. The amplifier is for OVA (over the air) signals received from the crank up or some other kind of TV antenna located on the roof. Notice I said "usually" as some rigs may be wired differently but park cable is USUALLY already amplified thus no need to run it to the amplifier. The two from my experience will never be run to the amplifier plate as you have drawn in your diagram. There is usually a separate outlet jack for the park cable vs the TV antenna.

What I have done in the past with our old rig was that I replaced the OVA TV antenna on the roof with a crank up satellite dish. Since the cable for it went to the amplifier I removed it and hooked the cable directly to the Sat. Rec. Since in our old rig the park cable in jack ran only to one spot in the TV cabinet I would (when needed if the roof mounted dish didn't have a clear shot) hook up a portable dish to the park cable in jack on the rear of the rig and connect the Sat. Rec. to that jack in the cabinet instead.

I would suspect that the two jacks on the wall with the cables going up to the roof you cant trace are outputs to other locations in the rig, perhaps a jack in a compartment or a 2nd TV location. Most RVs come equipped with a video switch box that allows you to choose from up to 3 different inputs and 3 outputs. This box would be connected to outputs like this.

Your diagram is a bit confusing and out of place with what I have seen in RVs in the past. I think you might have a few things still "confused" It would be really nice if the manufacturer would label what all the jacks do, such as Input or Output, To 2nd tv, To compartment output, etc. They just kinda leave that up to us to figure out and by the number of guys asking questions about it here I figure it is quite a wide spread problem.

Good luck, hope I didn't muddy the water and answered your question. To be honest now I can remember the question.....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #3

I used a tone generator to trace the Park Cable to the booster. All connections in my pseudo schematic were traced in the same way.

I initially thought the two looped coax' headed toward the ceiling might have gone to other outlets (compartment etc..) but have found them nowhere. That and I dont know what would be feeding that duplex box as my 'toner' signal never ended up there........
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Avid outdoorsman

The single park cable will go to the booster plate. If you have an outlet in the bedroom the booster plate is also a splitter for your cable signal . The sat needs its own dedicated cable becuase as you have found it won't have a proper signal though a splitter . You can either take the exsisting cable from the plate off and use or run a new one for your sat feed . The sat reciever sends it own volt signal to the dish and depending on the voltage sent will switch the lnb for diffrent tranponders for your channels.
dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Thanks

That makes sense. I think, if I take the connections off the back of the booster, connect the park cable to the TV set run I should be good to go! (we never use park cable anyway)
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Got a couple of questions here. Sorry I don't have any real answers.

1) Do you still get a cable signal at the booster if you remove the jumper in the living room? I don't know why they would do that but it seems like they might have ran the cable from the outside to the living room and then from the lving room to the bedroom.

2) According to he only brochure I could fiind the Wildcats should have satelite input. Are you sure you've looked everywhere for the connector? Of course you have, just had to ask.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #7

Do what we did. Since the CD in the Concertone didn't work, we didn't use DC current to run the Concertone or TV and wanted a flat screen TV we remodeled. Got rid of the Concertone - anyone want it before I throw it out?, bought a 21" Toshiba, a Pioneer Receiver and an HD sat receiver. We then remodeled the area above the cab into an entertainment center. This gave us extra storage space, put the TV in the corner by the passenger seat where we can see it, and ran all new wires. We did keep the 5 ceiling speakers. Everything now works, sound is great and we're in business.
ljcpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Avid outdoorsman

My sandstorm was supposed to be wired for sat to according to the pamphlet but it is not. One of the many things I have found so far that were supposed to be standard on the unit but is not .
Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #9

Promlem solved

Found that the park cable did terminate at the booster in the bedroom. Simply used a coupler to attach that lead to the one that went from the booster to the TV. There was another cable run from the bedroom to the living room as well.... I used that to run a signal to the bedroom from the Sat box using a splitter.

About the use of splitters with satellite. Every installer I'd ever talked to said you cant do that due to the signal would be degraded to both lines. Not so. My nephew started working for a major satellite company recently and he said go for it on short runs under 30'. They are told to inform residential customers it cant be done so the sat company can collect a few more bucks by having you rent another box. The downside of course is you have to watch the same channel thats in the other room.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Avid outdoorsman

That is where the voltage deal comes in to play . Becuase if you have a splitter and 2 recievers they can not send diffrent signals through the splitter to the lnb for 2 diffrent transponder channels . You can hook up a splitter but it can be frustrating . I have found over the years to just put a slider switch in and use that for using 2 diffrent recievers. I just slide it to the one I am watching in whatever room . You can by a proper splitter for it that will allow both recievers to function properly but they are expensive and you still need to run 2 lines. If you are using any dishnet,directtv, or bell expressvu system then most have a dual lnb end that allows 2 recievers but still have to run 2 lines . Not a big deal if you run a dedicated line in the bedroom through the wall to outside . I have mine setup this way with the park cable outlet feeding the sat tpo the frontroom and I put a line in the bedroom with a hookup coming out on the genny side at the front . I have the second cab;le going to there for a dedicated line for the sat reciever. I hardly use the sat recievers though unless we are going to be gone for a few weeks boondocking .

Upon reading your post again I see what you did. When the installers talk about a splitter they mean in the line coming from you dish to the reciever . You have a line from the reciever out with a splitter to 2 tvs. That is never a problem as you are splitting the output of 1 reciever.