Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Satellite install and options

I have a 2010 8528rkws Flagstaff 5th wheel. I am ready to invest in a satellite system. Budget has me looking at the tailgater/Dish system. I reviewed lots of posts, but am still "confused".
Questions:
1. If I use the external Sat. hook-up and the receiver is in the living room driving that t.v., what do I receive on the bedroom t.v.?
2. If I can't recieve Sat. programing in the bed room, can I still use booster and receive over the air t.v. there?
3. If I can't receive Sat. in the bed room, can I use a splitter to receive the same program I am tuned to in the living room?
4. Any comments pro/con from Tailgater users?
5. Any additional words of wisdom.... appreiciate.

Thanks.
tom.keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with your particular RV, so my answers here are based on the assumption that the external Sat wire goes into the living room and that the antenna booster control is in the living room.

Tailgater supports only one receiver with one tuner. There are other options if you really wanted different Sat channels on two TVs. Automatic solutions would cost more than the Tailgater. If you are willing to learn to point your own dish (like many of us do) your cost would be a lot less for the dish (<$100) and you could support many TVs.

But let's assume that you want an automatic dish and one Sat channel is ok so you want the Tailgater. With this, you'll have Sat on the living room TV and that won't have any effect on your bedroom TV (eg, you can still watch over-the-air or "park cable" on the bedroom TV).

In addition to that, the Dish receiver that you use with the Tailgater has a modulator output that will allow you to watch the same living room channel on the bedroom TV (but only in standard definition). To do that you have to move the wire going from the back of the antenna booster (to the bedroom) to the back of the Sat receiver. You can use an AB switch to do that if you like which makes it easy to select what you want to watch in the bedroom.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #3

HDMI Splitter

I set my system up with a single receiver in the living room and use an HDMI splitter so I can watch the same channel in the living room. Our living room and bedroom share the same wall.

ikan HDMI-2-HDMI Passive 1 to 2 HDMI Splitter

Used an IR Extender so my receiver could be placed out of site.

Infrared Remote Control Extender USB IR Repeater System Kit 1 Receiver 2 Emitter

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Talking

Get the manual Dish with the dual LNB. Invest in a good satelitte finder..about a hundred bucks. Get a dual receiver. TV1 port will go to LR tv, while coming out of TV2 going into Antenna jack in wall near LR tv will back-feed to your BR tv. Plug BR tv into the tv jack as this is the jack you are back feeding thru. VOILA!!! You have satellite in both rooms and you can watch different channels as well. This is my 3rd 5th wheel and have done this in all of them successfully. Not sure of the name of the finder. Next time I go out into 5ver I will get the name of the finder. I would really like to get an AB switch put in so when I do not have access to the SW sky i can watch cable or over-the-air antenna. Hope this helps. If need be you can PM me. Steve

DIGISAT II- Perfect 10 is the finder
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Amplifier in BR MUST be OFF!
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

Note that with a dual receiver, only the TV next to the receiver will get Hi-Def. The other is standard-def. If you want HD in both places you can use the Hopper/Joey system. With either of these options, make sure the LNBs on the dish you buy is Dish Pro PLUS (or it won't work).

This $30 "Sat Finder" works great for me (along with a smart-phone app to view the Sats in the sky). Said app is very useful with the Tailgater also.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite