Old 10-06-2016, 12:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just a comment. The VIP211Z dish receiver only outputs HDMI. The VIP211K receiver outputs HDMI and COAX. Just positioning the antenna looking at the southern sky is all that is needed. In trees only 2 satellites (3 required for HD) may be picked up but that will still allow STD viewing. Of course, to many trees and kaput.
You are exactly correct about the 211z and Wally not having a coax output! We recently replaced our 211k with a 211z and I hadn't even noticed it didn't have a coax output as we rarely used that feature! Thanks for the heads up. Of course now that we know we can't do it, we will want to

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #12

What area of the country do you live in? If you live in the east, you will probably want to get the Winegard Pathway x2, to receive the eastern arc satellites. I have read that the Wally receivers will not operate unless you get 3 satellites, where the older receivers will work from just 2 satellites. By the way, you can get high Def with just 2 satellites.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Tailgater

About the Dish Tailgater. Either model will automatically search and find the satelites as long as you have a clear sight of the southern sky. My suggestion is to purchase the tailgater and reciever seperatley to get the 211k . That one gives hdmi and coax outputs. Only difficulty is that the remote control is InfaRed so you must be in sight of the reciever to change channels from a different room unless you install a Radio Frequency to IR converter and use a seperate remote. You could also install an IR repeater but that involves a lot or wiring. Look on ebay for the reciever. Only accept a new in box unit or you may find the unit has been sold on a delinquent account and cannot be activated.
(See previous posts about the outside jack to tv hookups)
Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #14

Direct tv

Last time I had direct tv at the house for service/upgrade the tech helped me by installing wire ends on the cables I had already run to my receiver from the Furrion input connector I installed on the outside wall of the MH. He said he would have done the install as if it was a 2nd or 3rd room if he was doing a new customer install.
I use my old 18" round dish that was my original dish and a standard def receiver from the rec room and keep it in the MH during the camping season. I use dish pointer pro on my phone to find a clear path to the sat. and the receiver has a built in signal strength meter that has an audible beep that indicates a signal. I use a 3' piece of antena mast that I hammer into the ground for a base and a bubble level to make it plumb. If you plan to have more than one tv the receiver has two outputs but you will have to watch the same thing on both tv's.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #15

satellite tv

I have the dish Hopper, with one joey. I can watch a prerecorded program and tape three more at the same time. I do have some trouble some times finding the three satellite, Like today I could only get two satellites. I don't know why, (I use to install the system for three years in homes) I tried for two hours finally settle for the 119 and the 129. don't know why I could not get all three. NO trees or anything in the way.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #16

Before you start with a satellite system, you should learn a bit more about what's installed in your RV. From your description, you have a broadcast antenna, probably with an internal amplifier, that goes to a switchbox. The switchbox should have multiple inputs and a single output that feeds a splitter that has a cable going to each terminal port for a television. The two input connections at the back of the RV are most likely cable and satellite input connections. The cable connection goes to the switchbox while the satellite connection should end up at a cable located in a cabinet in the RV.

This arrangement starts the satellite installation issues. If you can verify that the satellite input port ends in a cable somewhere, you should be able to use that location for the satellite receiver. My 2011 Georgetown doesn't have a satellite input port at the back of the RV so I use an A/B switchbox to "move" the single cable to either the FR supplied switchbox or my satellite receiver. This lets me use the rear port for a cable hookup at RV parks and as the satellite dish connection point when using the satellite dish.

If your satellite box has only an HDMI output, you'll need to figure out how to get the HDMI signal to each of the TVs. I doubt that there are HDMI ports at each TV location which means running cables or using one of two other alternatives. First is to use a wireless HDMI system to distribute the HDMI signal. There are systems that allow connecting multiple receivers to a single transmitter, allowing you to watch the same show in multiple locations in the RV. (Unfortunately, for me, my satellite box's recent updates now forbid connecting multiple receivers for the wireless HDMI system.) The second alternative is to get a satellite box that has composite video and audio outputs and feed them into an RF modulator (remember the little box that allowed you to connect a video game box to your TV on channel 3/4?) which can be connected to the AUX input of the FR supplied switchbox.

The RF modulator solution may end up giving you a snowy signal on your TVs. This is caused by the splitter that takes the signal from the switchbox and distributes it to four different locations. This also shows up when using a park cable and the antenna. The solution is to install a booster amplifier between the switchbox and the splitter. Radio Shack (if you can find a store) sells these at a reasonable price.

Phil
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #17

Sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
I have the dish Hopper, with one joey. I can watch a prerecorded program and tape three more at the same time. I do have some trouble some times finding the three satellite, Like today I could only get two satellites. I don't know why, (I use to install the system for three years in homes) I tried for two hours finally settle for the 119 and the 129. don't know why I could not get all three. NO trees or anything in the way.
I have the same issue with my direct tv depending on where we are. With my multi sat oval dish at home I am able to get 101, 110 ,119, etc. On the road I cannot get all the sat.'s like the one that carries our local channels at home. So I went back to using our original dish the 18" round dish and one of the older SD receivers. Makes for an easy setup not to bother with the tilt. SD 480P looks great on the 32" Furrion LED. Always wondered though how they are able to direct the sat. signal so certain sat.'s are not visible in certain areas. I noticed also last month we took a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and the ship uses Direct tv. The sat. signal was not available once we got a couple hundred miles out from Vancouver until we got to within a couple hundred miles of Hilo.
We are probably scarring the heck out of the OP who was looking for some simple input on doing sat. for their rv.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I have the same issue with my direct tv depending on where we are. With my multi sat oval dish at home I am able to get 101, 110 ,119, etc. On the road I cannot get all the sat.'s like the one that carries our local channels at home. So I went back to using our original dish the 18" round dish and one of the older SD receivers. Makes for an easy setup not to bother with the tilt. SD 480P looks great on the 32" Furrion LED. Always wondered though how they are able to direct the sat. signal so certain sat.'s are not visible in certain areas. I noticed also last month we took a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and the ship uses Direct tv. The sat. signal was not available once we got a couple hundred miles out from Vancouver until we got to within a couple hundred miles of Hilo.
We are probably scarring the heck out of the OP who was looking for some simple input on doing sat. for their rv.
The way they do that is where the satellites are located and which transponder they use for the area. Some are broad band and some are spot for the local channls.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #19

I want to use the slimline dish with my HR24-100 DVR with no SWM.

Since I only have one receiver I only need one cable attached to the 4 on the LNB, correct?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:06 AM   #20

So which cable carer are you using right now at home to watch your programs? Do you have a smart phone or a WiFi hot spot for internet on the road that you could patch into your television? Dose the cable carer you have right now allow internet assess to it programming? Now for the million dollar? Do the camp grounds you visit have cell serves so you can watch the shows you would like to with your cell phone or WiFi hot spot. This may be cheaper than buying a satellite system and the programming cost to operate it.

Hope This Helps Tim

Tags
satellite