Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #1

Satellite internet recomendations needed

I love getting away though I need Internet for work. I keep finding sites with poor wifi and no cell coverage so I am hoping satellite will work. I needs recommendations for satellite internet if you have personal experience.
kranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

Who is your cell phone carrier?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #3

Sprint, coverage has been spotty at more than 1 campsite so I need another option
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #4

I don't have satellite internet, I use a Verizon MiFi so this coming from someone who hasn't used it other than one time at a RV Park. One thing to keep in mind with Satellite Internet is some VPN software won't work with it. If you don't use VPN Software or if you use VPN Software and know it works with Satellite, it seems good. We were staying near Big Bend National park and the RV site's WiFi was from a satellite provider. I couldn't use it for work because of the VPN issue but the non-VPN internet speeds were very good and it worked well for non-work stuff.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

Verizon has a lot more coverage. It's not perfect, but I can guarantee it's better than Sprint. Typically, i have 4G in most areas. It'll also be faster than satellite.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

I happen to *ahem* "know" a bit about Sprint.......or I used to a few years ago! LOL Their 'niche' in life is metro areas. Probably good price and coverage there, but not much for travelers.

Prolly most I need to say about that. Need a check to keep coming............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Verizon has a lot more coverage. It's not perfect, but I can guarantee it's better than Sprint. Typically, i have 4G in most areas. It'll also be faster than satellite.
As a guy who told Sprint to screw off last year when they jerked around a 20-year customer, and went to Verizon instead, I concur.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #8

Sounds like I need to look into Verizon for cell. Still would love to hear about satellite experience though.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:34 AM   #9

Personally I never really used satellite internet, but I worked for a certain network equipment company starting with "c" for 20 years. In short, don't use satellite unless you absolutely have to. It's expensive, the providers have low data caps, and the delay of sending a signal to a satellite and back makes anything like Skype, Facetime etc. a non-starter. Nevermind satellite signals are very susceptible to weather. And you are on a shared media. It's pretty much outdated technology, and while cell phone providers throw a lot of money at their networks to keep up with the demand, there's only two satellite providers left.

I'd probably use a "unlimited" (see the fine print) plan from Verizon where you can use your phone as a hot spot.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #10

I'm in the industry as well. I know when Satellite internet first appeared on the market they made a lot of buzz about their coverage and availability.

I had a few people I know that tried it and ended up really frustrated. You need to have a clear line of sight (no trees) to the sky in order to get it to work. The service and equipment is really expensive, and the equipment finicky (difficult) to set up. They eventually gave up and switched to a mobile (cellular) hotspot for the home and lived with the data allowances they were getting with their cellular plans.

However, with unlimited today there is no need to do that and it's cheaper and faster. For me it's a no brainier.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #11

Search for the Roadtreking site and then look up one of their bloggers named Campskunk. He has several articles on his satellite setup and he has a few years experience using it. As others mentioned, it is very expensive compared to cellular.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

I agree satellite is way to slow and too expensive for us measly commoners.

Leave you two options, well three technically.. (no internet but that is a no go for your needs)

Pay for it so you can get away or use a mifi / stay at more "built up" CG's so you can work. While I'd love to live the life on the road the fact is that brings with it restrictions, like you need for internet. This means you just might not be able to go boon dock in Yellow Stone, but instead stay outside a populated area. Save the Yellow Stone trip for your two weeks a year vacation.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite