Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Site Team
Satellite Radio Antenna

Has anyone put a sirius or xm in their trailer? wondering how you got to the outside of the trailer with the antenna!

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
i was finally able to dial in the direct tv in my camper and used that the last time we went out... i still have to go to radio shack and get some kind of way to plug into the factory radio but i am almost to the point of having the satelite radion in my camper...

i have had sirrius for the last 6 years (or so) and can't function properly if i have to listen to regular radio..

sorry i have no solution to your problem but if you have direct tv the music channels are in the 800's

Happy Camping

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
I simply run a "home" antenna under the master bed and through an outside access door. If I set the antenna on the the propane tanks, I can usually get a pretty good signal. Not a permanent solution, but it gets me by.
2002 Ford Excursion w/ 7.3 TD, 3.73 rear
2008 Salem 26TBSS
Wife and (3 kids): 10g, 9g, 4b
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
I am also a XM/Sirius satellite radio junkie, too, and have one in each car and one at the house, but not one in our TT. However, having installed these myself, I UNDERSTAND your issue well.

Probably the easiest solution is to run the cable under the rubber around a slideout if you have one. But, since each RV is different, you will have to find what works for your situation.

Other ideas include:

1. Routing up through the shaft of the crank-up TV antenna. In our case, the TV antenna is located above the MB, so the cable would have to protrude out around the hand crank cover. That might not be the best option but would get the antenna on the roof in the right spot.

2. Going out via the A/C compartment. While this is normally sealed up pretty good, there are spots where the wires come through from above that might allow you to route it there. This also leaves a visible wire at the A/C grille on the ceiling, so it is not optimal either.

3. Going out through the back of the fridge compartment. This will be difficult, but not impossible to do.

4. Route the cable alongside the main 12V power cable to the battery. Normally, there is a chase for this that you can follow. This may be the best option for a permanent situation, since the cable will not be visible when you are done, in all likelihood, however the satellite radio will likely have to be installed in the MB area.

I guess the real issue here is that there aren't supposed to be a lot of "holes" in your RV in the first place, (or your trailer would get a lot of bugs inside), which you need to route that cable and its connector through. But, this is the same situation with a car, so you'll probably find something that works for you.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
I know on most Winnebago RVs they mount the antenna on the dash down close to the windshield on the driver side. Remember that satellite signals can be received through plastic, fiberglass and glass just not blocked by metal. I have also seen the antennas placed on top of the crossbar inside of the roof vents. As the vent covers are plastic they don't block the signal.
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote