Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

satellite receiver installed

anyone familiar with the rockwood 8315SS knows that there is no provisions for installing anything extra in the entertainment center. since my trailer is on a seasonal site with no cable available. i decided to purchase a satellite dish and receiver. now, the problem....where to put the receiver. after measuring,i decided that the only solution would be to cut out the panel below the tv and install a shelf for the receiver. it worked ! sticks out a little,but its not in the way.tracing the satellite wiring and hooking up was a breeze,and since i bought a dual tuner receiver,i also hooked up the bedroom tv as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvmod.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	28471  

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Nice job!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Just a note that it looks like there is very limited circulation around the receiver. Receivers do not like high temperatures, and will be prone to failure if overheated.

Nice clean installation though.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Just a note that it looks like there is very limited circulation around the receiver. Receivers do not like high temperatures, and will be prone to failure if overheated.

Nice clean installation though.

RodeoGeorge
i thought of that when i was putting it in place. the top front of the receiver vents are unobstructed and there is clearance on the bottom for air circulation.
if we are not at the trailer for any extended periods of time the receiver will be turned of via the surge protector.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post

i thought of that when i was putting it in place. the top front of the receiver vents are unobstructed and there is clearance on the bottom for air circulation.
if we are not at the trailer for any extended periods of time the receiver will be turned of via the surge protector.
Just remember if you kill the power to the receiver, there's a chance you'll lose your programming. If its only for awhile, it should be alright, but anything over a few days could cause you to have to call Dish and have them send a hit to the receiver. Also turning off a surge protector will cause the receiver to have to power up and go through the acquiring signal screen which will probably take ten minutes with guide download each time the power is restored. I would just power off the receiver and leave the surge on, it shouldn't heat up that much. If you hit "menu, 6, 1, 3 and scroll to "counters", page down through that and it'll show you the high low and average temp of the receiver.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmerinwi View Post
Just remember if you kill the power to the receiver, there's a chance you'll lose your programming. If its only for awhile, it should be alright, but anything over a few days could cause you to have to call Dish and have them send a hit to the receiver. Also turning off a surge protector will cause the receiver to have to power up and go through the acquiring signal screen which will probably take ten minutes with guide download each time the power is restored. I would just power off the receiver and leave the surge on, it shouldn't heat up that much. If you hit "menu, 6, 1, 3 and scroll to "counters", page down through that and it'll show you the high low and average temp of the receiver.
I'm sorry but I disagree with Jimmerinwi. The only thing that happens when the receiver is turned off with the power switch or remote, is that it ceases to output the video/audio to the TV.

The circuits in the receiver (except for the output circuits) are running full bore when off, receiving updates, hits, guide information, etc.

I seriously doubt that you can measure a difference in the receiver temperature between the ON and OFF state.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post

I'm sorry but I disagree with Jimmerinwi. The only thing that happens when the receiver is turned off with the power switch or remote, is that it ceases to output the video/audio to the TV.

The circuits in the receiver (except for the output circuits) are running full bore when off, receiving updates, hits, guide information, etc.

I seriously doubt that you can measure a difference in the receiver temperature between the ON and OFF state.

RodeoGeorge
I was just pointing out that turning power off through a surge protector will cause a ten minute reboot time every time the OP wants to watch TV. Seems a bit silly to do that, not to mention the chance of losing programming from prolonged lack of power.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #8

damn,sounds confusing....i guess i will just leave the receiver on just like we do at home when we are at the trailer. while at the trailer,i will check to see just how hot the receiver gets while its off just for my own peace of mind. i remember several years ago a dish receiver we had used to get "hot",but the ones we have now at home,(a vip722 and a vip622 ) just get warm.