Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

If you have or get dish then you can get HD with the automatic dome type like the Winegard Carryout. I mount it on the rear ladder or place it on the ground to get a clear line of sight to the southwest, run the cable to the docking station sat hookup. It only requires one cable but I did have to install a 12 volt power port in the docking station. You cannot use the cable input as it will not pass the sat signal through the amplifier that is usually part of that input. Hook the HD receiver to the dedicated sat hookup at your entertainment center and your good to go.

KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #12

Well I see I'm not the only one around asking these questions.
This is what I have recently found out for myself.
DISH Network has a plan for RVers called "Pay As You Go"
You buy your own equipment and call them to activate your RV Receiver. No contracts but a month to month fee for whatever TV group you want. If you only travel for a month and come home you don't have to anything and it will automatically stop. A few months down the road you want to hit the road you call them and pay up front for the month and go. Cost is a few bucks more a month but that is what you are paying for month to month.

I found a new ViP 211k receiver for $70 on Craigslist, Single LNB Dish for $20, Now I'm going to figure out how I want to mount the dish.

Here is the link to "Pay As You Go"
RV Solutions - DISH Network

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #13

Additional Information about DISH Networka "Pay As You Go"

Post Activation Questions

When Is my bill due?

Payment will be collected for the first month of programming during account creation. Subsequent payments are due 25 days after the date of activation. Payment must be received prior to this date or programming will be disconnected.
I'm only going on vacation for two weeks. Can I pay for a partial month of service?

No. All payments are for 30-days of service at a time.
Can I get local networks?

Yes, local networks are available in your home market and come with your base programming package. Your home market is determined based on your service adress. When traveling outside of your home market, you can use an over-the-air antenna to view local stations in that area. DISH Network's receiver technology will even allow you to import local stations into your programming guide.
I don't have an over-the-air antenna. Can I still watch my favorite network television shows?

Distant networks will be coming soon. Check back in the near future for more information.
How can I manage my account? (Upgrade or change my programming)

DISH Network allows you to manage your account online. Just go to www.dishnetwork.com and create an account. The online management tool allows you to upgrade, downgrade, make payments, order PPV and restart your service. Or you may call 1-800-472-1039 (option 3) to speak to a representative.
Can I order pay-per-view programming?

Yes. Because of the nature of this program, prepayment will need to be made before viewing by either contacting DISH Network at (800-472-1039 option 3) or by logging onto your account at www.dishnetwork.com.
How do I stop my service when I no longer need it?

Since this is a pay as you go program, the only thing you need to do is to not pay your next invoice. Your services will be automatically disconnected. If you have a Credit Card auto pay on your account, you will need to contact DISH Network to remove this from your account first.
How can I resume programming after disconnection?

Just contact DISH Network (800-472-1039 option 3), provide them with your telephone number or your DISH Network account number. They will reinstate services and take a payment. You may also log onto your DISH Network account online (www.dishnetwork.com) and reinstate and make payment for your DISH Network service.
Can I have a DVR?

Yes. You can add any USB 2.0 hard drive to turn your 211k into a DVR with a one-time set-up fee of $40. There are no additional monthly fees for this service.
Can I add a hard drive to my account after I activated?

Yes. Just connect your harddrive to your set-top and call DISH Network (800-472-1039 option 3).
Can I get another receiver for my RV?

Yes. Just go to our store and order another DISH Network Mobile HD set-top (Model VIP 211k). Once you have received it and have installed it in your RV, contact DISH Network (800-472-1039 option 3) and add it to your existing account. A $7 monthly fee will apply. This will require an antenna that can support more than one receiver.
What if I already have DISH Network programming and want to utilize distant networks while in my RV?

If distant networks are important to you, you will need to create a second account, a pay-as-you-go account to be eligible for distant networks in your RV.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #14

After retiring two years ago I began a new career as a contract project manager. I spend a lot of time away from home, using my RV as home for 10 to 11 months per year. I have DirecTV service at home and have two more receivers in my RV. All I pay for this is the cost of two additional receivers. I get the same programming package as I get at home.

I have a Winegard Trav'ler SK 3005 unit (this is the only "automatic" unit that gets you full HD on DirecTV) which has a standard DirecTV Slimline Dish that allows me to get full HD service and DVR service in my RV. You do have to watch where you park, as trees can be a problem,

The one issue that I do have is that I don't get the local channels that I would get at home or the local channels where I am located, so I have to switch over to my OTA antenna for that.

2012 Cardinal 3450RL - TrailAir Rota-Flex Pin Box, Equa-Flex Equalizers, Level Up Auto Level, Winegard SK-3005 Satellite System
2011 Chevy 2500HD - 6.6L Duramax, Allison Tran, Husky HD Aftermarket 5/1 Springs, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags, Drawtite Pro Series 20K Fifth Wheel with Square Tube Slider
NJAg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Can you use a dvr with cubes? And or portable self aligning dishes?
this is probably going to be answered farther down. the cube offered by dish only uses the 211 but for ~$40 one time fee, u can use an external hard drive and have dvr functions.
as predicted, it was answered farther down...and more...thanks iggy

the post below, dish uses 129 for HD, the cube will receive that.
so will the winguard. both recieve 110, 119, and 129.
the 211k is a HD receiver.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #16

i do have experence in this we have dish net at home i bought another receiver and a portable winegard dish for the camper we have a perminat site the sat and dish works great and was very easy to set up have fun
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #17

I have zero trouble setting up my 18" Directv dish but was wondering how much different it is to setup the slim-line dish for HD and locals? The one I have now is on one of the upside down stands which I really like and would like to go that route if possible.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #18

I picked up a dish from ebay for 50 smacks, use my home HD receiver. All you need is a compass and chainsaw and you're good to go. Only downfall for me is the space that the dish and tripod take up in the basement storage.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I have zero trouble setting up my 18" Directv dish but was wondering how much different it is to setup the slim-line dish for HD and locals? The one I have now is on one of the upside down stands which I really like and would like to go that route if possible.
I my experience you won't get locals once you travel outside your home area. My home and billing address for my DirecTV account is in New Jersey about halfway between Philadelphia, PA and Atlantic City, NJ. At home I get the Philly and AC local channels. The local signals come from directional satellite transmission specific to the Philadelphia market. I am set up in Savannah, GA and outside the Philly region so I don't get those local channels. My billing address is New Jersey, so I can't get the Savannah local channels through DTV so I use the OTA antenna,

There is an RV package through DTV that will let you get the East Coast and West Coast national feeds (New York NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox: and Los Angeles ABC...). My understanding is this has to be a totally separate account from your home account. The other downside is because of blackout rules you can't get the subscription sports packages (ESPN Gameplan, NFL Sunday ticket, etc.)

2012 Cardinal 3450RL - TrailAir Rota-Flex Pin Box, Equa-Flex Equalizers, Level Up Auto Level, Winegard SK-3005 Satellite System
2011 Chevy 2500HD - 6.6L Duramax, Allison Tran, Husky HD Aftermarket 5/1 Springs, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags, Drawtite Pro Series 20K Fifth Wheel with Square Tube Slider
NJAg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I picked up a dish from ebay for 50 smacks, use my home HD receiver. All you need is a compass and chainsaw and you're good to go. Only downfall for me is the space that the dish and tripod take up in the basement storage.
I've mentioned this before but.
I have dish network so when I needed a dish for my camper I stopped a direct tv installer and asked him if he had any removed "dish network" dishes. He had several and handed one over for free they just throw them away he said.