Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
MrT

Satellite Recommendations & Comments?

Hi Everyone,

To date, I've not ventured into dish territory at home or on the road. This season we traveled a bit farther from home, and although some campgrounds featured cable, we weren't always able to receive the programming we were looking for.

I'd like to educate myself on what the implications, experiences, benefits & shortcomings of buying a satellite setup & subscription might be.

Perhaps it is an obvious question, but please indulge me. Thank you.

Anyone?

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Mr T,

I have been researching this topic in anticipation of my first TT, so I do not have first hand experience to offer as yet. However, I do have DirecTV and you can take your receiver on the road so you are not paying for an additional acct. Most buy a separate dish from Ebay or Craigslist. My BIL has Dish network. I like the menu guide better on Direct.

Other options are the sat antennaes that are RV / Mobile specific. Some work with Directv or Dish. Also Google "Free Satellite TV" and see if your main viewing is available that way. You may be happy just using FST and your computer for online shows. (HULU, Amazon, Netflix...)

Best to do a search on the forum for Satellite TV and read through them. Then post some specific questions on this thread. I do not suggest posting to old threads (year or more).

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

I can not speak to it from actual experience either, but from what I have read some people have a frustraiting time manually setting up the dish at the site. I have Dish Network and have been researching this very topic as well. The "tailgater" has been the most intreaging product I have run accross (for the $$), it is a portable dish that finds the satellites automatically to remove that frustration, light weight and portable. $349 for the dish and either bring the receiver with you or buy a receiver and only pay for the service when you are camping. Downside is the "tailgator" only works with the 211k receiver, so you have to make sure you have that specific receiver, which is not a problem if you buy it on your own ($100-$150 readily available from various online sources), but could be if doing a home install and planning on pulling a home reciever with you on the road.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #4

I have the Winegard Trav'ler 1000 Dish on my 5er. I have HD Dish at home so I just take the receiver with me. It's all automatic, just push one button and in approx. 10 minutes you are watching HD TV. My wife says my idea of roughing it is black & white TV.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have dishnetwork at home. So I take a spare reciever from home and a dish mounted to a halogen work light tripod I got for free from a direct tv installer.
I can level , aim my dish, and get signal in 10 minutes or less using a simple compass.
Just did it last night. At campground.
total investment I pay dish monthly programing.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #6

There is literally hundreds of posts on this subject. We have DirecTV at home and a dish on the RV for when we travel, We take our home HDDVR with us on the road. As long as you have a clear line of site toward the southern sky we can get a picture. Sometimes it takes a bit longer than others. Do some research on DirecTV and you will see offers for a home dish setup plus a portable dish for your RV all in one package.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Can you use a dvr with cubes? And or portable self aligning dishes?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #8

There are two main issues that few people are aware of:

1. High def programming requires a different dish/receiver than standard def.

2. Trailers that are pre-wire for satellite are usually not wired for high def.

Standard def sats use only one coax cable instead of two. High def uses two coaxes (one for power, the other for signal). As a result the equipment is more expensive.

For standard def everything is pretty easy. The antennas are cheap and so are the receivers.

Despite all the plans available, the most cost effective way to receive satellite, is to use your home units.

Personally, I see not reason to buy all the gee-whiz satellite antennas for standard def. The receiver tells you where to aim the antenna. Once you have azimuth lined up, all you have to do is narrow in on the elevation and adjust the dish until you get a good signal. As long as your antenna can see "the bird" zeroing in takes 5 minutes.

Once I had the antenna in a spot where it could see the bird, I just made small adjustments until the receiver started chirping quickly. It took me 5 minutes to get 93%.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
There are two main issues that few people are aware of:

1. High def programming requires a different dish/receiver than standard def.

2. Trailers that are pre-wire for satellite are usually not wired for high def.

Standard def sats use only one coax cable instead of two. High def uses two coaxes (one for power, the other for signal). As a result the equipment is more expensive.

For standard def everything is pretty easy. The antennas are cheap and so are the receivers.

Despite all the plans available, the most cost effective way to receive satellite, is to use your home units.

Personally, I see not reason to buy all the gee-whiz satellite antennas for standard def. The receiver tells you where to aim the antenna. Once you have azimuth lined up, all you have to do is narrow in on the elevation and adjust the dish until you get a good signal. As long as your antenna can see "the bird" zeroing in takes 5 minutes.

Once I had the antenna in a spot where it could see the bird, I just made small adjustments until the receiver started chirping quickly. It took me 5 minutes to get 93%.

I beg to differ .
my hd sat from dish network only has one cable going to my house .
my garage hd sat only has one cable also going to it.
my camper as well hd and only one cable .
so Im not sure what you have ?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #10

Another way to go, if you have the internet at your camper. Dish network has an device called a Sling Adapter. As long as you have the internet hooked to your home reciever.The sling hooks to the USB port at your home reciever and will broadcast your home local channels as well as anything you might have DVR'ed straight to your laptop. Hook your laptop to your camper tv and your all set. I think it runs around $100.00