Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #1

Satellite tv antenna

What would be considered a good - not the best nor most expensive satellite antenna? We're gonna pick up our CC CKTS next month and want to have one installed.

Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

IMO, you should rethink that "installed" part. What are you going to do when your camping spot has trees between the dish and the satellites? (Answer: No TV.)

Assuming you don't already have a Sat service at home, you'll probably want to go with Dish Network because they have a pay-as-you-go plan where you only pay for the days you need it (& no contract).

What you get after that depends on whether you're willing to learn to point the dish yourself (lots of us do it) or whether you want an automatic system. You also need to consider whether you need to be able to view different channels on different TVs in your RV. If you need multi channels, you need to point your own.

The best automatic system (but you get only one channel at a time) seems to be the Tailgater. You can buy that, along with the Satellite receiver, for ~$450 at Camping World.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

If you want to go the automatic route for dish and you have a little time to wait, Winegard is supposed to come out with automatic dish called Pathway X2 in August that only supports Dish. Quite possibly this will create a price war initially between Winegard and the Tailgator, helping drive price down.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

You've given me things to consider that I never thought of - trees and different channels on two sets.The main reason we thought about a roof mounted system was to deter theft.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Yep, I understand. If you use a dish on a tripod (manual system) no one will steal it. The Tailgater has a place to put like a small bicycle-locking cable thru to lock it, but none of that sort of thing can deter a determined thief. In many cases, you'll probably be able to set it on top of your roof which would have it more out of the way.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yep, I understand. If you use a dish on a tripod (manual system) no one will steal it. The Tailgater has a place to put like a small bicycle-locking cable thru to lock it, but none of that sort of thing can deter a determined thief. In many cases, you'll probably be able to set it on top of your roof which would have it more out of the way.
Or your truck bed
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Something like the link below would be good for you, I have Direct Tv at home and talked the installer into giving me an extra SD dish and just had an additional SD sat receiver added to my account that stays in my camper, it costs me an extra $6 a month and I get the same programming I get at home. It take me about 10 minutes to setup the TV assuming I don't have to get creative with the dish placement due to trees and we're watching TV. When you go to the dish setup menu on Direct TV you punch in the zip code for where you are and it give you aiming coordinates for the dish and you're all set.

DirecTV Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV Tailgating | eBay

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

I have a DISH hopper receiver in my house. Has anyone taken this new system from their house and used it in your RV?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkowski View Post
I have a DISH hopper receiver in my house. Has anyone taken this new system from their house and used it in your RV?
If you use the trailer a lot, I would get a 211k receiver and add it to your account. It is the only receiver you can add to an account with a hopper. Much easier to set up than a hopper, only $7 more a month. You can make the 211k a single tuner dvr if you add an external hard drive and pay a one time $40 fee. I have one in my camper and usually just leave it there. They are readily available on eBay pretty cheap, if you do go the eBay route a word of caution, get the R00 and Smart card numbers and do a chat or call Dish to make sure the receiver is clear with no balance on it. If there is a balance, they won't activate it until its paid. If Dish asks when you call to activate, tell them you have a tailgator and are using it for that.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. That's what I needed. Thanks again