Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

satellite tv, local programming

Ok, I got the extra dish, tripod, etc. Set it all up home in the driveway. All went fine. Did the same on our trip and again it worked; however, no local channels. It's not a problem now, I'm in Memphis. Local broadcasts over the air. My issue is for remote areas with no over the air signals. Direct tv tells me local programming is not available away from home. Is this the case with all dishes?
pcbikenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbikenski View Post
Ok, I got the extra dish, tripod, etc. Set it all up home in the driveway. All went fine. Did the same on our trip and again it worked; however, no local channels. It's not a problem now, I'm in Memphis. Local broadcasts over the air. My issue is for remote areas with no over the air signals. Direct tv tells me local programming is not available away from home. Is this the case with all dishes?
You just need to call your satellite provider and tell them what zip code your in.
They'll change your locals to that zip code.
Albeit it will be the local channels where your at not @ home.
Yes there all Like that.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

With DISH network we just call them and tell them to change the "service address" and we get local chanels for where we are at. Do you have a seperate RV account with Direct or just using your home account?
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Just the home I think, but I told them I wanted it for my motorhome!????
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Most of the people with Dish are off in "O" Zone and have to explain that you are in a RV to get the local stuff then Don't forget to call them on the way home to get them Changed Back to the home address..... Good Luck
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

No3putt is correct. However, DISH will only let u have a service address on one acct. every time I changed my service address to my RV location that also changed my local channels I had at my home. Since I had grown kids at home they weren't keen watching Fl locals when they were still in Mi.
I finally, got an RV account that I put on on when not traveling.
Another option is to buy a better TV antenna for your locals.
Hope this helps.
Pkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkowski View Post
Since I had grown kids at home they weren't keen watching Fl locals when they were still in Mi.
I don't think this is possible.

For the same reason when you leave your home area you can't receive home locals, if you have your service switched to Florida your home dish won't receive FL locals sorry.

TURBS
Old 03-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

In stand corrected. I did not receive any locals at the home. Sorry for the confusion
Pkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkowski View Post
In stand corrected. I did not receive any locals at the home. Sorry for the confusion
No problem! [emoji6]

TURBS
Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Old Timer

Looks like all the respondents so far have Dish. With DirecTV it depends on what kind of satellite dish antenna you are using. Any plain round dish will not receive the locals when aimed for the other channels, nor will it receive programming in HD (presumably) Nevertheless, I use a Winegard Carryout Anser (easy aiming) with my DirecTV receiver in the 5er. Picture quality when properly aimed is way good for me. I rely on the OTA (antenna) for local channels wherever I am. If I were using the triple LNB oval DirecTV antenna I could receive local channels, but they would be from here at home no matter where I was (I think).
Well that's my two bits worth from a DirecTV fan.

kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #11

Is your dish a round one with 1 LNB, or a 5 LNB oval. If the first is what you have, you will not get local channels at all. With a round dish you will only get low def programming from Satellite 101. If you have the full slimline oval dish with 5 LNB, you have to align it properly using the dithering technique so that you receive signals from all of the satellites. The high def and locals are all from satellites other than 101.

I have Directv and I get my actual home locals regardless of my location.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

I have the direct tv oval hd dish. I have no problem receiving hd, just can't get local.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #13

Did you get the locals when you tried it in your driveway? If so, it might just be an alignment problem. Aligning the dish to get all the satellites is tricky. There are some good youtube videos demonstrating the dithering procedure. Some of the satellites have very narrow beams so the dish has to be precisely aligned to get them.
If you got them in your driveway and you're sure the dish was perfectly aligned when you were away and couldn't get them, I'm out of ideas. All the locals come from the same satellite so it makes no difference what your actual location is. I get mine everywhere. Which ones you get is based on the zip associated with your account not your present physical location.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I don't think this is possible.

For the same reason when you leave your home area you can't receive home locals, if you have your service switched to Florida your home dish won't receive FL locals sorry.

TURBS

Well Turbs I have a 5thw and I put my recievers in it and have a 1000.2 dish on a tri-pod i set up every time we move, i set the rec. to the correct zip and the az el and skew says what dish is to be set up to then i call dish and tell and tell them to send me locals and in 5-10 mins i am watching TV. But now that I got a book with all the zip codes in the usa i don't have to reset it in rec. it takes me roughly 15 mins to set up and be watching TV. Alot shorter than when first started to do this and we have been doing this for four yrs.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 AM   #15

Now I'm not really sure if I got local channels in my driveway! It was just a test of my equipment.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #16

My wife records soap operas on the local stations. When we went to Utah I had Dish switch the locals not knowing they would be cut off at home. When we got back from our trip my wife went in the den and sat down to watch her recorded soaps. There was some screeching and screaming and I have not made that mistake since.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #17
clr

Direct TV locals

I tries to move my local channels with Direct TV this fall just prior to heading south for the winter and was informed by Direct
TV that they no longer move the local channels temp as in the past. Of course you could lie and move your service address but I do not want to do that. I was told by a friend that Dish locals and still allowed to be changed and there is a web site online to move the locals so you do not even have to call them.

Setup worked great in TX very easy to setup and my wife loved being able to record shows but missed being able to record OTA shows. Used the rig antenna for the OTA.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Local channels

The local channels will only work up to about 250 mile away from your home base for DirectV after that, zilch! if you are with in the 250 range, the dish has to be reset for the ZIP CODE you are set up in, the azim, ele, and tilt has to be reset.

Direct tv spot beams the locals for your home zip code, when you move from the home settings, re-adjust you antenna. Your local channels are
on transponder 119.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
clr

When I went south I was about 1200 miles from my home zip code so I was outside of the local channel spot beam therefor no local Ch via Direct TV. At least that is my understanding and when I set up down south all worked great but no locals.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #20

The zip code doesn't have anything at all to do with what stations you will receive. Entering the zip code is only done to find out where to aim your dish from whatever location you are in at that time.

If you take a receiver out of your house and put it in your rig, you will ALWAYS get your home stations. We've been all over, and never received anything but our local (at home) stations.
ptillett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite