Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
RBR

Satellite TVs & Sirus radio

We are getting a direct satellite dish installed. We have 3 tvs and 2 boxes do we need a box for each TV or can one box be shared?

If in dash radio is not sirus ready can you still install sirus or do need a new radio. Or is there some other easier way to get sirus radio

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
2014 XLR 27HFS

I have an Onyx XM unit. I have my motorcycle all set up to plug the unit in on the handle bars while riding. I have another home type mount set up in my camper - uses the same Onyx unit, and plugs into the campers sound system. The mounting set & antenna for the camper was $35. It's great to get quality music no matter where you are, and NO commercials or obnoxious DJ's.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Member - Retired

RBR We have a DirecTV Genie system in our Georgetown. The bedroom TV is connected to the DirecTV DVR (considered the server) and the other two TV's have a small thin Genie slave unit which is attached to the back of each TV with strips of Velcro. The system supports full HD (1080i and 1080p) and allows viewing/recording/playback of up to five programs at the same time.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
If in dash radio is not sirus ready can you still install sirus or do need a new radio. Or is there some other easier way to get sirus radio
There are kits you can purchase so you can get sirius on your existing radio.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Clarification: The add-on kits are ONLY for radios that are indicated to already be Sirius/XM ready. If the front of the radio doesn't say it's Sirius/XM ready, there is no jack on the back of the radio to plug the kit into. You'll still need to install an antenna, which is the real problem. If you lay it on the dash, you'll have great reception when you're driving south, no reception when driving north and good reception driving east or west (the satellites are all over the equator). Even if you get the separate unit, you'll still have to figure out how to run the antenna.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

If u have seriius in your car or at home get the one for ur phone. Hook the cable from ur phone to Rv and ur in. If u have Bluetooth in the Rv it's even better
Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

I was wondering about the one through the phone; dose it seem to use very much of your data allotment?

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

XM radio app

I use the XM radio app when I am in the trailer. Works great with the blue tooth
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I was wondering about the one through the phone; dose it seem to use very much of your data allotment?
Not exceptionally if your using it normally. If u leave it on when not listening to it ,than that's a different story.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Not exceptionally if your using it normally. If u leave it on when not listening to it ,than that's a different story.
Or if you are at a camp with WIFI, no data usage at all!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
We are getting a direct satellite dish installed. We have 3 tvs and 2 boxes do we need a box for each TV or can one box be shared?
I believe you need a box for each TV. You can share a box but you'll get the same channel on both TVs.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Or if you are at a camp with WIFI, no data usage at all!
Truth it is.
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Hi Dish network still has Sirus radio available to listen to.
Not sure if you want to watch 2 channels at one time or share 1 channel with 2 TV's. To watch 2 channels you will need a duel receiver and sat that is duel capable or 2 receiver and 2 sat dishes. To share just split the signal out put from the sat receiver to the 2 TV's.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the Jensen Radio Clock on the exterior of the Sunseeker,,, it seams to think it is in a different time zone ??? The Jensen TV was off by an hour last year,,, seams to be right now ???
Came with no book !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #15

I use portable direct tv dish with 2 boxes 1 box controls LR,OUTSIDE AND BUNK TVS, 1 box for br,,,only get sd is only drawback.i use boxes from home
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the Jensen Radio Clock on the exterior of the Sunseeker,,, it seams to think it is in a different time zone ??? The Jensen TV was off by an hour last year,,, seams to be right now ???
Came with no book !!!
On our Jensen, if you push and hold the volume adjust knob the time/hour will flash. Rotate the knob to adjust. Then do the same for minutes.

**This is while the radio is off/clock is displayed.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
RBR We have a DirecTV Genie system in our Georgetown. The bedroom TV is connected to the DirecTV DVR (considered the server) and the other two TV's have a small thin Genie slave unit which is attached to the back of each TV with strips of Velcro. The system supports full HD (1080i and 1080p) and allows viewing/recording/playback of up to five programs at the same time.

Ca fisherman, just so I'm clear.
You don't need wifi service to make the Directv genie work? Does it have its own wifi then? I didn't know that. I was thinking I needed to have wifi at the camp site to make that work.
That's great if the genie has its own.
Cheers.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Senior Member - Retired

Barrie1: The DirecTV Genie system does not require wifi availability since the master and slave units are cabled. It was a lot of work to run new cables to all three TV's and to the roof, but I wanted to ensure I ended up with a rock-solid reliable system. There is a new wireless version of the Genie system, however I do not suggest it as the wireless system still has a few "bugs."

The Genie master unit (DVR) has wifi capability so you can link it to an available wifi signal and then pull in content from Amazon Prime, etc. When our MH is parked at home, I can link the MH to our house system and share recording and content between the three MH TV's and the five TV's in our house.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Barrie1: The DirecTV Genie system does not require wifi availability since the master and slave units are cabled. It was a lot of work to run new cables to all three TV's and to the roof, but I wanted to ensure I ended up with a rock-solid reliable system. There is a new wireless version of the Genie system, however I do not suggest it as the wireless system still has a few "bugs."

The Genie master unit (DVR) has wifi capability so you can link it to an available wifi signal and then pull in content from Amazon Prime, etc. When our MH is parked at home, I can link the MH to our house system and share recording and content between the three MH TV's and the five TV's in our house.
Thank you for helping me understand how their system works.
I guess you hard wired between the master and the slaves at the other TV's. That way wifi isn't needed.
My wife says she want Directv in our bedroom in the Shockwave. I do have our DVR in the living area. I'm sure your slave receivers are much smaller than hanging another complete receiver in the bedroom. As you said the Velcro works well.
Maybe I should switch to the genie.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #20

Thank you Christian,,, I will try that,,, I thought I had tried that but will try again !!!
Thanks again for the reply !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, satellite