Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Seeking guidance on Dometic AC Identification and Operation

I am new to the RV life. My wife and I just purchased a 2010 Sunseeker 2860. It has a Dometic Duo-Therm AC unit.
1)The unit blows nice and cold with a great flow rate directly out of the unit (straight down). There are several ceiling vents throughout the RV. The airflow is very weak out of those. Is there some way to change that? I don't see anything obvious. Or maybe there is a problem....
2) I did a cursory look and could not find a part number or model number of the AC. I opened up the plastic grate inside of the RV to see inside. The P/N that I saw seemed to be for the AC controller. I climbed up top and looked through the louvers on the AC shroud and didn't see any numbers immediately visible. Can anyone give me guidance on how I may identify this unit? I would love to be able to get an operation manual for it...

Thanks in advance!
slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats View Post
I am new to the RV life. My wife and I just purchased a 2010 Sunseeker 2860. It has a Dometic Duo-Therm AC unit.
1)The unit blows nice and cold with a great flow rate directly out of the unit (straight down). There are several ceiling vents throughout the RV. The airflow is very weak out of those. Is there some way to change that? I don't see anything obvious. Or maybe there is a problem....
2) I did a cursory look and could not find a part number or model number of the AC. I opened up the plastic grate inside of the RV to see inside. The P/N that I saw seemed to be for the AC controller. I climbed up top and looked through the louvers on the AC shroud and didn't see any numbers immediately visible. Can anyone give me guidance on how I may identify this unit? I would love to be able to get an operation manual for it...

Thanks in advance!

1)The unit blows nice and cold with a great flow rate directly out of the unit (straight down). Look close at the grate on the inside ceiling. There should be a slide(s) control to shut off that air dump (designed to fast cool the living area) and divert the air flow into the duct work. Also, check to be sure that duct is closed at both ends. If not, close it off with something. Pull the grate off and make sure the barrier between return air and chilled air in intact.

Sorry no suggestions on finding the model number.

AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Coach

Next time you're on the roof, if you remove the shroud, you'll find a tag with the model and serial numbers. Also a good time to clean out any accumulated bug nests and debris.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats View Post

Thanks in advance!
Go here: wackoproducts.com .....
You’ll get rid of that useless straight down vent.
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

You can do what I did to get better air flow. First pull the inside cover with the dump section and make sure the air is directed into the vent lines and not just under the roof. You will see the cut opening for where the air is supposed to go. Next vacuum the ceiling ducts to get any construction junk out. Found a lot in mine. Last, at each ceiling vent at the end of the run( front to rear). Block air flow past those vents. This stops the air from dead ending at the far front and rear of the runs leading to more air flow and faster cool down. When I was done I had 55 to 59 degree air coming out of the duct vents.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

me thinks your issue is the slide. In one position it dumps all air straight down; in the other position the air is dispursed thru the ducts.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
me thinks your issue is the slide. In one position it dumps all air straight down; in the other position the air is dispursed thru the ducts.
I'll look again tonight, but I don't recall seeing any sort of slide mechanism. Does access to the slide require removal of the plastic grate on the ac unit?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

NO - it doesnt stand out but once you see it ... obvious. I discovered it on about my 3rd trip. Wasnt mentioned at my walkthru inspection.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

The slide that is being referred to is part of the grate your talking about. Look very closely and you will see two or more tabs pointing downward, push on those to slide the moveable part of grate to cover the opening. Those tabs are hard to see if you are not familiar with what your looking for, but they are there. Once you shut off that air that is being dumped, then you will feel more air coming from the overhead vents. Remember that the vents on the end away from AC unit, will not receive as much air because it is blowing out of open vents before the ones on the end.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #10

The "slide" is operated by two very small tabs located in the middle of the grate. Not easy to see unless you know what you are looking for.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Maybe someone could help by posting a pic of their own grate/slide. My trailer doesn't have visible grates.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #12

AC Vent Slide Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Maybe someone could help by posting a pic of their own grate/slide. My trailer doesn't have visible grates.
That would be awesome if someone could do that. Particularly someone with the exact same model RV I have - 2010 FR Sunseeker 2860DS.

Lots of good feedback already though!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #13

Dump gate picture

Not the same unit but most are similar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_181450-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	209622  
ron2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

Take the cover off the ac unit on the roof. You will find the model number inside the ac unit.
jgilman16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, dometic