Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Shakedown Breakdown (need help)

First weekend of ownership, we took 3051S to campground with hook-ups and generally did well. Mostly ran around buying storage bins & shelf lining and all the wonderful things you need. Making a running list of things that need dealer attention. Spent last night at local campground without hook-ups. Without going into details, let's just say we agreed to leave bright and early and work our way through issues parked comfortably in front of our house.

I am amazed at how little is provided in the way of instructions and am downloading what I can and figuring out what to ask here for help. Forest River could certainly make it easier by documenting every component that goes into the coach by VIN # and letting you easily download any/all manuals specific to the VIN #. My biggest problem right now is probably setting off alarms, but that was so nerve wracking this morning, I can't even deal with sorting that out right now, so I spent my day on entertainment.

Before I start figuring out how to make things the way I would like them, I need to confirm I understand how they do work. Based on manuals and experimentation, I believe (and please tell me if I'm wrong) -
1) Each of the 3 TVs (cabover, bedroom & outside) have a feed from the cable for when you have hook-ups at a campground. I am pretty much assuming this and that the signal splits off to each so channel selection can be handled at each TV.
2) Other than cable there is no common feed to any of the 3TVs. I can't watch the same DVD in the living and bedroom for example (like I could in our old rig)
2) The cabover TV displays content from the Jensen unit on the wall. I can play a standard, but not blue-ray, DVD on the TV by placing it in the unit on the wall. That unit accepts USB drives but does not appear to read video formats so I can watch the movies I have in .avi & similar formats. My TV remote works to control the DVD when I point it at the TV (not sure why, but pretty sure it did - long day). The TV has a USB port on the back of it, but also will not play the movies in those same formats. At home my TVs aren't smart either, so I put the USB drive in an inexpensive blue-ray dvd player attached to the TV and that player can convert the files and send the content to the TV. There is an HDMI slot in the cabinet below the Jensen unit on the wall. I am assuming I can hook up one of these players like at home and be able to play movies from a usb drive from it. BUT they plug into standard outlets, not 12v. I am really used to not even watching TV when we don't have hook-ups so it shouldn't be a big deal, but now that I have 12v TVs, it would be nice to use them efficiently and that means usb drives. Does anyone have a low cost 12v solution? And, if so, how would a not-real-handy person power it? I see a standard outlet in that cabinet, but no 12v there. Or, forgive me, is that a 12v outlet in the ceiling of the cabinet?
3) While we are talking about the Jensen unit on the wall - has anyone figured out how to shut off the led display? Considering it is in an area that supposedly sleeps 6 persons, it is a major pain. Our grandson declared last night he would never be able to sleep. I had to close off the bedroom door partway so I could sleep.
4) The outside TV plays standard, not blue-ray, DVDs from the Boss unit below it. It sure looks like the instructions indicate the Boss unit will play movies from a usb drive, but I had no luck. Has anyone had a different experience?
5) The cabover and outside TVs are both Jensens 32". The 2 Jensen remote controls will both operate the cabover TV, but neither operate the outside TV. Would you guess that is a fault with the outside TV or that the 2 TVs have separate codes and I need to figure out what code to reset one of the remotes to?
6) The bedroom TV plays standard, not blue-ray, DVDs via the slot on the side. There is also a slot for USB drives to go in the side, but it also does not decode movies. And that seems correct based on the manual. Whatever solution I come up with for the front TV will probably apply here (except if there is a 12v solution, the TV seems to be plugged into a 12v outlet in the cabinet and I am assuming there is a simple splitter available for it.)
7) Somehow they missed providing us with a remote for the bedroom (Furion) TV. The salesman nicely gave us a universal remote to use which works great except I can't see an eject button on it anywhere and it is a major pain to eject by blindly pressing buttons on the top of the TV. If you have the Furion remote, would you confirm that it has an eject button on it. If so, I will make sure Forest River sends us one.

I did try looking to see if these issues had already been addressed on the forum and couldn't find it. I really appreciate any input. I think tomorrow I will try to sort out what we did to set off alarms.
Kathy3051s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
We'll take the easy question ...
There should be some variant of Bright / Dim switches on front ...
+ for brighter
- for dimmer / off
One example below.
Wasn't so easy for us, first time in dark, as you can't see the "bright" word printed between the buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AWM968 a Labelled.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	121304  

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Don't look for help from the dealer or FR. If you do not have it, get the build sheet from the dealer. You may have to push them but they receive one with every unit they have delivered. If you do not get a build sheet or it is incomplete, make your own, You need manufacturer, Model and serial number. Once you have all that go online to manufacturers web site and down load the users manual. You can print out and put in a binder or load into a laptop or tablet that you take with you. As for your punch list, my suggestion is use it only for items you can not handle. There seems to be some status with the size of ones punch list. The more items on the list the longer the dealer will have it and the higher the chance of additional damage.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

I was so excited.i ran out to give it a look. Not soesdy. Now I'm just jealous. My unit has the JWM6A. Doesn't have that dimmer button
Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #5

Here's your Jensen Manual. https://www.asaelectronics.com/downl...ers_manual.pdf

The USB slot you spoke of earlier is for MUSIC file playback only (mp3/mwa). You might want to pull the unit out so you can get to the back and see what outputs are being used and where they head.
Use the diagrams on page 4 to identify each input and wire purpose.
You DO have brightness control for 5 levels...see page 5!

Good luck and don't assume everything is hooked up correctly from the factory...verify by looking! LOTS of times here problems have been solved by plugging in cables to the PROPER jacks...or putting back ones that fell out along the way!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #6

Thx. That is the manual I have. I keep looking at it and don't see how to dim the led.

I agree it only plays music from usb. Has anyone attached anything that runs off 12v to play movies from usb?

I do appreciate the feedback. .
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #7

Use this section to set the BRIghtness from level 1,2,3,4 or off
You must scroll through the system menu to find the BRI function and then rotate the volume knob to control the lighting level or turn it off.

"System Menu
1.Press and hold the AUDIO MENU button (#18)
for 2 seconds to enter the system menu.
2. THEN Press the |<< or >>| buttons (#'s 15 & 16)
or the AUDIO MENU button repeatedly to navigate the
system menu.
3.Once the desired menu item appears on the display, (in this case BRI) adjust that option by rotating the volume encoder knob clockwise or counter-
clockwise within 10seconds.
4.Press the ENTER SEARCHbutton to confirm your selectionand exit audio menu.
The unit will automatically exit the audio menu after 10seconds of inactivity.

The following items can be adjusted:

BeepOn/Off...: Turn the audible beep On/Off (heard when functions/buttons are
selected).Note: Beep tone off will not a
ffect the audible tone of the alarm clock.

BRI(off,1,2,3,4):
Adjust the brightness of the LCD backlight from the following levels:
4,3,2,1or off

This is all on page 5
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

Thank you. Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees. Can't wait to do this.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #9

Kathy, sorry about wrong model ...
Cam, thanks for jumping in.

- Jeff
Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy3051s View Post
First weekend of ownership, we took 3051S to campground with hook-ups and generally did well. Mostly ran around buying storage bins & shelf lining and all the wonderful things you need. Making a running list of things that need dealer attention. Spent last night at local campground without hook-ups. Without going into details, let's just say we agreed to leave bright and early and work our way through issues parked comfortably in front of our house.

I am amazed at how little is provided in the way of instructions and am downloading what I can and figuring out what to ask here for help. Forest River could certainly make it easier by documenting every component that goes into the coach by VIN # and letting you easily download any/all manuals specific to the VIN #. My biggest problem right now is probably setting off alarms, but that was so nerve wracking this morning, I can't even deal with sorting that out right now, so I spent my day on entertainment.

Before I start figuring out how to make things the way I would like them, I need to confirm I understand how they do work. Based on manuals and experimentation, I believe (and please tell me if I'm wrong) -
1) Each of the 3 TVs (cabover, bedroom & outside) have a feed from the cable for when you have hook-ups at a campground. I am pretty much assuming this and that the signal splits off to each so channel selection can be handled at each TV.
2) Other than cable there is no common feed to any of the 3TVs. I can't watch the same DVD in the living and bedroom for example (like I could in our old rig)
2) The cabover TV displays content from the Jensen unit on the wall. I can play a standard, but not blue-ray, DVD on the TV by placing it in the unit on the wall. That unit accepts USB drives but does not appear to read video formats so I can watch the movies I have in .avi & similar formats. My TV remote works to control the DVD when I point it at the TV (not sure why, but pretty sure it did - long day). The TV has a USB port on the back of it, but also will not play the movies in those same formats. At home my TVs aren't smart either, so I put the USB drive in an inexpensive blue-ray dvd player attached to the TV and that player can convert the files and send the content to the TV. There is an HDMI slot in the cabinet below the Jensen unit on the wall. I am assuming I can hook up one of these players like at home and be able to play movies from a usb drive from it. BUT they plug into standard outlets, not 12v. I am really used to not even watching TV when we don't have hook-ups so it shouldn't be a big deal, but now that I have 12v TVs, it would be nice to use them efficiently and that means usb drives. Does anyone have a low cost 12v solution? And, if so, how would a not-real-handy person power it? I see a standard outlet in that cabinet, but no 12v there. Or, forgive me, is that a 12v outlet in the ceiling of the cabinet?
3) While we are talking about the Jensen unit on the wall - has anyone figured out how to shut off the led display? Considering it is in an area that supposedly sleeps 6 persons, it is a major pain. Our grandson declared last night he would never be able to sleep. I had to close off the bedroom door partway so I could sleep.
4) The outside TV plays standard, not blue-ray, DVDs from the Boss unit below it. It sure looks like the instructions indicate the Boss unit will play movies from a usb drive, but I had no luck. Has anyone had a different experience?
5) The cabover and outside TVs are both Jensens 32". The 2 Jensen remote controls will both operate the cabover TV, but neither operate the outside TV. Would you guess that is a fault with the outside TV or that the 2 TVs have separate codes and I need to figure out what code to reset one of the remotes to?
6) The bedroom TV plays standard, not blue-ray, DVDs via the slot on the side. There is also a slot for USB drives to go in the side, but it also does not decode movies. And that seems correct based on the manual. Whatever solution I come up with for the front TV will probably apply here (except if there is a 12v solution, the TV seems to be plugged into a 12v outlet in the cabinet and I am assuming there is a simple splitter available for it.)
7) Somehow they missed providing us with a remote for the bedroom (Furion) TV. The salesman nicely gave us a universal remote to use which works great except I can't see an eject button on it anywhere and it is a major pain to eject by blindly pressing buttons on the top of the TV. If you have the Furion remote, would you confirm that it has an eject button on it. If so, I will make sure Forest River sends us one.

I did try looking to see if these issues had already been addressed on the forum and couldn't find it. I really appreciate any input. I think tomorrow I will try to sort out what we did to set off alarms.
This is a problem we don't have. We love to be "offline" when we camp so took the TVs out of our TT when it was delivered. When we are boondocking , I can comfortably be without news,sports etc.. If I feel the need at a commercial campground there is usually a clubhouse with a TV but very rarely feel the need. We have a sound system for music and radio availability if we so choose and there is a signal. Something liberating about it all!😊
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Thx. That is the manual I have. I keep looking at it and don't see how to dim the led.

I agree it only plays music from usb. Has anyone attached anything that runs off 12v to play movies from usb?

I do appreciate the feedback. .

You probably cannot run your TV off the 12V unless it's hooked to inverter.
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #12

Shakedown Breakdown (3051SF) Continued

I hear you on the TVs. We said we definitely did not want the outside TV and wouldn't have ordered it if we special ordered. But we didn't and we have 3 TVs and I want to make sure they all work as they should.

And as much as we don't need that outside TV, the reality is the grandkids are kept very happy with a movie outside while we make dinner etc. after a full day of activities. Much better outside if weather permits and in the past we've hooked up a computer to do this. So the TV will be used.

I am happy to say I successfully turned off the LED Display on the Jensen unit that connects to the cabover TV. I initially turned it off completely and was very happy to see I could and then completely stressed over how to get the display back if needed for any other adjustments, etc. I had to blindly do it and hope I was at the right place when I turned the volume control. Got it back and dimmed to 1 (it was originally set at 2) and will see if that is livable. Seems like it would be a no brainer to make the LED Display a toggle switch for ON/OFF. But it isn't.

My conclusion is my media equipment is probably all hooked up accurately and I will probably be able to watch movies from USB drive while plugged into electricity (only) by adding a separate dvd player into the system via hdmi. EXCEEPT the Boss BV6654B clearly states it can play MP4 files and it doesn't make sense it would only play them from a DVD and not a USB Drive. It sees jpgs on the usb drive so that isn't the issue. I am on hold to ask Boss right now and then will move on to my next issues.

PS to Gohawks - I can watch TV w/o electrical hook-ups. All TVs and media control centers run off 12v (no inverter needed) and all tested accordingly.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
<snip>
I am happy to say I successfully turned off the LED Display on the Jensen unit that connects to the cabover TV. I initially turned it off completely and was very happy to see I could and then completely stressed over how to get the display back if needed for any other adjustments, etc. I had to blindly do it and hope I was at the right place when I turned the volume control. Got it back and dimmed to 1 (it was originally set at 2) and will see if that is livable. Seems like it would be a no brainer to make the LED Display a toggle switch for ON/OFF. But it isn't.
<snip>
Sorry I had the wrong model earlier.
Trick .. make a little removable cover for the display with a piece of velcro and maybe a leash ... much easier than fumbling with incomprehensible menus that ... you can't see when it's dimmed / off.
- Jeff

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)