Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Jack of All Trades

Signal Loss - Winegard Wall-Plate

I noticed something interesting today!

I hooked our RV to our home cable system, and noticed a sever loss in signal strength. The picture on the analog channels was almost unwatchable, and on the digital channels pixilated and cutting in and out.

In testing the system, I first hooked the cable directly to the TV set, resulted in a signal strength on the TV of 76 (scale of 0 to 100). Next, I hooked the cable to the splitter feeding the three outlets (main TV, bedroom TV and outside outlet), and the signal strength at the same TV was 72 (about expected loss for a splitter). Hooking the cable to the Winegard wall-plate (upstream of the splitter) resulted in a drop of the signal strength to 46 (and before you ask, yes the amplifier switch was "off" as is required to watch cable). I also checked connecting the cable to the input connection of the RV to the Winegard wall-plate and got a signal strength of 42, and from the input of the RV direct to the splitter, the signal strength was 67 (again, about the expected signal loss for the additional connections). (Note, I tried hooking the cable to the ant. connection of the wall-plate and, with the switch "on", saw the same signal attenuation.)

Through my testing all the coaxial cables and connections appear to be good.

My question is: Has anyone else seen the signal loss through the wall-plate? Is it normal to see this much signal attenuation through the wall-plate? This seems to be a sever signal loss.

I would like to hear from others if they have similar problems.
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote