Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

signal meter for DTV HD dish aiming..

i have this signal meter (pardon my phone camera pic of an ebay item on the computer screen), i never used it but i hear it works for standard deff signal strength dish aiming. Well, i see it being sold with a hd dish "kit" on ebay. they are not expensive, but we got my HD direcTV set up in my xlr27hfs today (just a dish on a tripod with the coax ran through the window) but the meter wouldn't work with the hd dish. You have to use a "booster" that runs in between the receiver and dish, and my DTV guy indicated it was slightly more volts (or watts or whatevers).. and that may be the reason.
We would watch the signal strength on the tv screen, but the meter would either be low, or just peg out and beep loudly even adjusting the dial..
anyone use this or have one that works with HD tv ? sure would make aiming easier.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

If you figure it out let me know. I use the meter on non hd sat. but haven't got it to work on hd. I just use strength on tv and have DW call out the numbers.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

got it resolved.. these guys (someone posted this site earlier) TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[search]=zinwe
sell a zinwell splitter, and a power supply that allows you to then run that same signal meter for the hd dish. $20 or so, some cable, and good to go. ya basically have to run the meter on a separate line parallel to the cable coming from the dish.. back to the power supply that you need for the dtv dish/receiver.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

There is another active thread going on about signal finders and ProjectPro said he uses this one.

Untitled Document

We currently just use the receiver to dial in the signal but might have to check in to this if it makes that task a little easier. Haven't done much research on it but it appears to be about $150.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

This is the inline meter that came with my Tv 4 Rv tripod. It's what I use to aim my HD dish. Although I think your setup is SWM, not sure if it would work. This unit is available everywhere for $30+, amazon has it as well.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

We got our dish and tripod set up from TV 4 RV also Gasspeddler but we use a SWM and that meter didn't work for us. Really like the SWM setup, made it really easy to get satellite signal to entertainment center/bedroom and outside basement with no wires hanging out/around other that my feed wire coming in. Going camping for a week tomorrow and will use a phone app to see of that makes it easier to dial in the signal. If not, we're probably going to look at the Orbital Tracker Light or something similiar. Here's a pic of our set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVDirecTV.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	33129  
Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

yes, my hd dtv setup is SWM.. and the meter that comes from TV 4 RV is like the one in my photo up top, and i bet is a similar model to the one pictured by Gaspedler .. these will not work directly "in-line" with a SWM system, but they WILL work i am told by TV 4 RV if you use a splitter like the one that is in place in the photo Kevin & Jane posted above. Basically you attach a 2nd coax through the dish arm to the lnb, and as i understand splice the meter in the 2nd line to the zinwell splitter and power the meter with a seperate $10 power supply. A few more things, couple extra steps initially.. but might make aiming the dish easier The trouble with just using the screen is unless you are REALLY close to where it needs to be aimed, you get no readings..

Kevin/Jane, do you have a separate receiver for each tv in your rig ? i assume so since i can see the splitter and the booster thing mounted in the basement area
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

i did just come up with another great idea for the baby-cam monitor system. Just picked one up for $100 on ebay. not only will it be good for backing up the tv to the th, but gonna set the cam on the table aimed at the TV while searching for signal strength, i can watch the MONITOR while aiming the dish
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
We got our dish and tripod set up from TV 4 RV also Gasspeddler but we use a SWM and that meter didn't work for us. Really like the SWM setup, made it really easy to get satellite signal to entertainment center/bedroom and outside basement with no wires hanging out/around other that my feed wire coming in. Going camping for a week tomorrow and will use a phone app to see of that makes it easier to dial in the signal. If not, we're probably going to look at the Orbital Tracker Light or something similiar. Here's a pic of our set up.
A compass app will give you the general direction to point the dish. As long as your tripod is level, it's just a matter of moving the dish from left to right while someone watches your on screen meters. You will hit it quick and all day long.

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
Kevin/Jane, do you have a separate receiver for each tv in your rig ? i assume so since i can see the splitter and the booster thing mounted in the basement area
We only bring 2 receivers with us. If we want to watch TV outside we just pull the TV/receiver from the bedroom and hook it up in the basement. I think we've only done that once in the last year but the connection is there if we want it.

Let me know if your setup works for you Melk-man, we're still learning all this as we go as well. After all, the sooner we get the satellite dialed in, the sooner we get to relax, right.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
A compass app will give you the general direction to point the dish. As long as your tripod is level, it's just a matter of moving the dish from left to right while someone watches your on screen meters. You will hit it quick and all day long.
We're certainly getting better at it. We've got two different apps we're going to use this trip so we're hoping it will be quick and painless.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #12

good to know that i usually just have to swing it left/right if i get it in the ballpark with the compass. I think the baby monitor will help with the signal viewing on-screen too..

And yes ! the faster things can get done, the better.
i wonder if blackberry has any aps for sat viewing ?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
i wonder if blackberry has any aps for sat viewing ?
This is my preferred dish pointing app.....works with iPhone and Blackberry!

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #14

^^ LOL..
yes, the good ol' compass. works every time.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite