Old 03-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Sirius XM Radio Antenna type and installation location

I have a Micro Lite 25BDS.

Would like to be able to move the Sirius XM "head" into my trailer from my tow vehicle (a Stratus 7) when camping.

Haven't decided on what to use for a "kit" yet.
Have considered a home docking kit that comes with a "puck" for antenna or should I just go "ala carte" getting the home dock and purchase a different kind of antenna I could mount on top, perhaps on the AC shroud or ---- ?

What have others here done? Stick with the "Puck", gluing it to the roof and then routing the cable across roof, down to a window, then inside to the dock?

Any ideas?

One option I've thought of would be to attach the antenna to the inside of the shower skylight with an epoxy glue and then route the antenna cable through corner raceway to the panel above my refrigerator where I'd mount the docking device. From there It's just a short run to the Stereo and it's Auxillary input, again using corner type raceway. This would keep wires off the outside and I wouldn't need to drill holes. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Other ideas welcome.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

I have a docking station and have thought about installing an antenna on the roof. Now I run the antenna wire out a window. After much thought I have decided to keep doing what I have been. Sometimes when backed into a spot I need to move the antenna front to back and or side to side depending on tree cover. If the antenna was fixed on the roof, might not be able to always get a signal.

Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
PPST Wannabe

Iíve got our ďpuckĒ antennae on the roof top and ran the wire inside to the home dock. It works beautifully.

However....Iíve heard some people report that if the antennae is close enough to the ceiling of the RV, being that they only have a fibreglass or rubber rooftop, the antennae can do its job right through this kind of material quite well.

Why not just try it close by your dock unit and see?

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I have a docking station and have thought about installing an antenna on the roof. Now I run the antenna wire out a window. After much thought I have decided to keep doing what I have been. Sometimes when backed into a spot I need to move the antenna front to back and or side to side depending on tree cover. If the antenna was fixed on the roof, might not be able to always get a signal.
x2

With the necessity of being able to get decent reception from the sat, the flexibility to move the antenna instead of having to move the trailer if attached in a fixed position would be driving the decision for me. I have had locations where putting the antenna on the booth dinette table inside the camper gave me solid performance and others where I needed to run it out a window and put it on the roof of the camper toward the back or on top of the propane tanks based on where trees were.

Flexibility is important when dealing with Sat reception.

Now I use the streaming option when I can and just bluetooth it to the stereo system or my portable BT Speaker.

Tags
antenna, cat, location, radio