Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Question slide, awning and jacks wont work

I have a 2107 224RLS VIBE and just got back from my first long trip. The electrical worked fine while on the trip but when I returned none off the 12v stuff worked. I couldn't even get the electric lift jack to work so I couldn't unhook my truck. I heard a clicking noise every 10-15 seconds from a relay under the trailer frame close to the battery. After some troubleshooting I found two red and white wires from the relay on the battery side measured directly to ground. When I disconnect these two 10-12 gauge wires all the 12v stuff works except the slide, awning and electric jacks under the trailer, the electric lift jack worked so I could disconnect my truck! Not really sure where the two red and white wires go and what to do next? Can't find a wiring diagram on line. Any help would be appreciated.

Berad
bmmillsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #2

that is allot to take in for a first post and I am not an electrical master. before disconnecting wires I would be looking at fuses/breakers and checking battery charge. Lots of knowledgeable folks should chime in but may want more info.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I would say one red powers the jacks and the other the slide and the white wires ground. Are you saying all four wires were grounded?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #4

Thanks Kimber45 and Seadog

I did a little troubleshooting before finding the two shorted red/white wires. My inverter was surging going from 12v to 3v on my volt meter so I disconnected the 12v wire from the inverter going back to the battery and the rest of the 12v stuff worked so I assumed something was causing a load at the relay. There is only two red/white wires going back, I assume they are going to the jacks and slide.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Low resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmillsx2 View Post
I have a 2107 224RLS VIBE and just got back from my first long trip. The electrical worked fine while on the trip but when I returned none off the 12v stuff worked. I couldn't even get the electric lift jack to work so I couldn't unhook my truck. I heard a clicking noise every 10-15 seconds from a relay under the trailer frame close to the battery. After some troubleshooting I found two red and white wires from the relay on the battery side measured directly to ground. When I disconnect these two 10-12 gauge wires all the 12v stuff works except the slide, awning and electric jacks under the trailer, the electric lift jack worked so I could disconnect my truck! Not really sure where the two red and white wires go and what to do next? Can't find a wiring diagram on line. Any help would be appreciated.

Berad
This can be a little tricky. Any high current load is low resistance. If you measure the resistance to ground, it will be close to 0 ohms. If you are using a high scale on your multimeter, it will look like a short to ground, even when it's normal. For example, assume the slide motor draws 30 amps at 12 volts. R=V/I, so the resistance will be 2.5 ohms.

The next step in troubleshooting will have to be "Divide and Conquer." Reconnect the white wire. It's a ground wire and the symptoms should not change. Now, get on your back and follow the red wire. It will probably go to a circuit breaker (small cubical box with a button on one end). On the other terminal of the circuit breaker will probably be multiple wires, one each for slide, awning, and jacks.
  • Disconnect all wires. Reconnect red wire to battery. Symptoms should be gone.
  • Disconnect red wire at battery. Put one wire on terminal. See if symptoms return.
  • Repeat with each of the wires until you identify which one causes the symptoms.
  • Disconnect everything but the wire that causes symptoms. Figure out which one thing isn't working. Look for a pinched or chafed wire near the failing item.
Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #6

Smile reply to Larry

Thanks, I took basic electronics so your reply makes sense. You confirm what I figured I need to do, hated to take the bottom off the trailer because it's sealed but I need to it so I can follow the red/white wire. Will let you know when I find the bad wire...

Thanks again

Berad
Old 03-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

Any chance you turned tooo short and pinched the cord going to your truck? The large red and white wires feed the converter; jacks, stabilizers, and slide prob have there own fuse/circuit breaker usually under front of tongue below battery. Did you run over anything that could have pinched the wires underneth the trailer?
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, jacks, slide