Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

small fridge in outside kichten

Fride not getting real cool then warming up.
Anyone else have this problem?http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif

Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

"nyessja": First, how old/new is this fridge? Have you set the camper up with direct sunlight shining on the outside kitchen? I learned about that and will share later in this post. IF you did not know: These units do not operate like a home fridge. A home fridge compress a gas, circulates it within a system and has a fan to blow air through a condenser (or evaporator, whichever) to blow cold air throughout the fridge. These small units work on an "absorption" method where the gas is compressed via an orifice then the heat from the fridge is absorbed via a heat sink. That would be the thing in the fridge that looks like a bunch of aluminum fins. Heat, as from a hot day, will directly affect the performance of these type fridges. I have three of them, one in my work/cargo trailer, one in my shop, and one in the camper outside kitchen. The one in the shop works great all the time, it's within a shaded closed space. The one in the work trailer has to be turned on at least a day ahead of when I plan to use it so it will start cooling down. The one in the outside kitchen works great until sunlight hits it directly or hits the closed door to the kitchen. One thing I learned was to use a black bungee cord thingy to keep the outside kitchen door open about one-third of the way so air can circulate on a hot day. This also provides some shade to the fridge. Just this past weekend a camper came up to me to find out how I had the door tethered slightly closed/open. He also had an outside kitchen and at 2 pm was in direct sunlight at 98 degrees temp. I walked down with him and he had some small rope so we rigged up a tether to close his door some. He told me later that this helped a lot. Your unit warming up may be in the timer, not easily accessible, that puts these units into a sort of "defrost" mode to help remove any icing of the heat sink fins. Short of finding someone who has the knowledge, and is willing to work on these small units you may have to live with this, unless your unit has some warranty left on it.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Brand new unit 2016.
Cooled down system 3 days in advance of using it ,placed only chilled things into it after it cooled down.
possible power problem at campsite ,friends air conditioner kept going out on him worked fine when he got home.
Possible cause of failure.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

The outside fridge is (usually) fully electric. If you travel for a while before setting up it could loose its' 'coolness'. Did the door pop open during travel? Is it 'belted' closed? Was there a good 'frost' when it set for three days in the 'freezer' compartment?

Turn the fridge temp setting colder....and see what happens.

Your friends AC problems may be connected to low or oscillating Amperage from the campground.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

In my ole 5er... i put a clip on fan from Wal-mart in the OK to blow on the fridge..with OK door open of course. The sides of the box(condensor) got pretty hot. Fan definitely helps.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #6

Low voltage could certainly be part of the problem. This past weekend my unit lost power twice the first day. When I brought this to the attention of the campground host he informed me that they have problems when this campground is full, which it was, and they have older wiring/outlets within the cg. I used a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and moved my cord over to the 50 amp outlet and all was well. "Brother Les": A lot of the small fridges, such as mine, do not have freezer compartments. One note: When I travel I take a roll of paper towels and place between the door of the fridge and the OK door. I had my fridge door open just enough for stuff inside to fall off the shelves twice. The paper towel roll compresses just enough to hold the fridge door closed without harming anything. I'm considering attaching Velcro material to keep the door closed during travel.

Tags
fridge