Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #1

Smart TV

Well guys and gals I being talking to my wife about upgrading our tv to a smart tv, because the furrion tv suck. Have any of you upgrade your tv, do you get better reception on your, tell me what you think?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:06 AM   #2

My fusion tv gets great reception, I have an apple tv hooked to mine, however internet data streams at campgrounds are usually thin to non existent so the "smart" features only work well when I am all hooked up at home here. I also have a google chrome cast I could use but I like the Apple tv better. I have seen a video from a dealer that claims the furion is made so it can bounce down the road a bit. But as anyone knows, An Ultra high def TV is always welcome at the start of ANY big game or race! Just get one the same size and make sure it has the smart features.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:07 AM   #3

All new things in our lives! Picking up new wolf pup tomorrow. Old fifth wheel and monitor connected to a DVD player that was about as smart as it got. I don't have a iPhone Apple TV at home I'm in the market for the iPad with satellite connection.. My boyfriend has a work account of them is high gigs is partial owner of the business so were thinking I could mirror that to the smart TV. I think I can manage that. I've been sleep means to mirror my Old PC to Apple TV. Well poop a seller ready so I'm curious to see how this works. Besides running into a tree the old fifth feel and electrical issues and we spent most nights in the dark in the cold . Just started getting too big for us to handle. We were looking at a mounted swingarm with a built-in DVD player but don't know if there's any preferred one that works better traveling in the RV .
RoyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

I bought a 32 inch smart flat screen to replace the tv that was stolen out of my MH before I bought the MH. I added a swivel mount so we can pull it out and turn it toward the couch. I recessed the swivel mount slightly so the tv will be up against the cabinet when not in use. I can access my tv through my laptop to play any movies I have stored on my laptop. I next plan on replacing the bedroom tv to a smart flat screen.
Reception is great and at home I can pick up the wireless signal for netflex. Great picture and the price was right. I could have had a 39 inch or the 32 inch smart tv for the same price.
Another thing, the smart tv is only held in place by one allen screw. I now remove the tv when putting it in the storage lot. I can't keep someone from breaking in, but I can keep them from getting much.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

Great info! Thanks! The setting in idea may be good. I was a PC Microsoft person all my life but we love the easy interaction of the Apple world! For now throwing my old 13 inch inch that plays VHS tapes on dinette for first trip out!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #6

I never have good luck with reception where I camp so I just got a media box that uses kodi and a 2tb hard drive with my movies on it. Works for me.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

Hmm maybe you can help me. I have movies on my 12 year old PC. I only use for Netflix when in my sewing room. I've tried off loading them to a DVD and they come out garbled. But used free apps that were supposed to help so that. I have them when I only had internet and no tv for years. I'm a little geeky but behind on language. My first computer didn't have a mouse or hard drive! I have managed to be able to mirror the movies with a different free app to the Apple TV in the family room. I just want all my life portable! My opinion is that the first person...company....that figured out how we can have individual protected hubs using satellites wins! And my phone charges while talking to the satellite! Ha! But typing this now I didn't think, now typing this, the same brand or company I managed to relay to the apple box may have something I can use and get what you said. What is it? a terra bit stick?
Old 11-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Sorry you said hard drive
Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #9

I was thinking that I would get better reception if I go with a smart tv but I guess not.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

The smart only makes items talk to each other. They have mini midi slots. I'm not that up on techy world but after boyfriend PC died and my old android phone I was tired of learning to be a geek in that world. My android didn't have upgrades to the operating programs. My iPhone upgrades ny itself all the time. So we got a Mac laptop and Apple TV and walk into an Apple Store formanu issies! The better reception may be able to be improved with the antenae?! Our new wolf pup has a dome kind built in and supposedly works better. Even for TV? First trip out is next week. Still learning that world. As I learn more
I learn more I'll share to the site. I'm an old woman but if I can make it work I will and if free I will!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

Not sure how you use your TV? Most folks in RV's simply buy flat screen HD tv's as replacements. Buy a good brand, LG, Samsung, Vizio, Sony, etc. Forget about a "smart TV" unless you want to connect to the internet to stream programing such as NET FLIX or any kind of streaming network. A smart TV doesn't give you a better picture, it simply allows you to connect to "providers" that provide internet tv programing that you must pay a monthly fee to receive!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #12

we replaced the original 24" Furron with a 32" Sharp and also added a separate Blu Ray DVD player, ..... mounted the DVD player in "my corner" of the dinette, its much more convenient to use there than the one in the radio unit,

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #13

We saw a smart TV mounted swing arm type with DVD player in it. May go for that. I also have a satellite iPad purchase in future plans. Boyfriend's work phone account I discovered has like 15 gigs data stream and he has a flip phone! Just $5 to add second device! It's his company too, mostly retired...still training family! I'm his "google"! So unless dry camping in sierras or a full hookup doesn't have cable I can wifi to the smart TV with the iPad and Apple TV box. Haha ...bring it all with me!
Old 11-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

I have a pair of "smart" tv's and use the Apple TV and Amazon TV box thingy. Both work great but also require a wifi connection.

Sometimes we purchase or download the free (via Prime) stuff on Amazon to the iPhone or iPad so we can watch it via Apple TV. Keep in mind that when using your smart tv to view the iPad or iPhone via "mirroring" then both devices must be connected to the same wifi network. A lot of times wifi networks are not available (well, if they were you wouldn't need to use mirroring) so you'll need you own "private" wifi network. I already had a Netgear router in the TT which is used while driving to connect the iPhone to the Sharx rear view observation camera. I just connect the TV and the i-thingy to the Netgear and mirror away. Works great.

You can buy fairly cheap router and set it up in your RV and have an instant wifi network (obviously without an internet connection). I like the Netgear stuff because they run on 110 AC or 12 VDC.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Not sure how you use your TV? Most folks in RV's simply buy flat screen HD tv's as replacements. Buy a good brand, LG, Samsung, Vizio, Sony, etc. Forget about a "smart TV" unless you want to connect to the internet to stream programing such as NET FLIX or any kind of streaming network. A smart TV doesn't give you a better picture, it simply allows you to connect to "providers" that provide internet tv programing that you must pay a monthly fee to receive!

Okay, I get it now and this is what I can go with just a plain flat screen tv will meet ours need.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #16

Thanks for all of your comments, the wife and I are new to this, I will be taken ours TT in for the 90 days warranty work and then put it up for the winter.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Okay, I get it now and this is what I can go with just a plain flat screen tv will meet ours need.
Yep, it will meet your needs. Get the 1080p and even though you won't get better reception you'll definitely get a sharper picture in most cases.

There's little difference in cost when comparing smart or non-smart so consider the smart models. Your needs will probably change.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #18

Awesome, I think that I will take a trip to Costco or Wal-Mart.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #19

Oh yeah yeah need router to wifi certain ways...thanks! Would have forgot that. Look at this ...I'm trying to figure it how not to leave my life behind when I leave my life behind!!!
Old 11-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #20

Yes!