Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
snowy tv

We are at our campsite in Nokomis Florida. Only issue I can't seem to figure out is the television. Low channels are VERY snowy and high channels are good. WHY? Bedroom and living room are same way. In the evenings they clear up for a few minutes and go back to same thing. Would a TV filter work? Getting frustrating listening to DW. Please any professional advice. all cabels have been checked and rechecked.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Yankee View Post
We are at our campsite in Nokomis Florida. Only issue I can't seem to figure out is the television. Low channels are VERY snowy and high channels are good. WHY? Bedroom and living room are same way. In the evenings they clear up for a few minutes and go back to same thing. Would a TV filter work? Getting frustrating listening to DW. Please any professional advice. all cabels have been checked and rechecked.
If you are using an antenna to receive the television channels, there is a known issue of certain LED lights interfering with the signal. Just turning off the lights (if you have them) solves it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-46968.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

no antenna, park cable plus last night we could hear a radio coming thru the tv speakers. we dont have LED lite either.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Are you sure you have the antenna booster turned off, when using the park cable? You only turn it on when using the antenna.

Also there can be faulty/loose connection on the coax connectors (this is also a known problem)......as well as just bad cable feed from the park itself to your RV.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #5

booster is off, connected to neighbors cable outlet, same issue. Thought I had it somewhat ok, wind blows and we're back to start. (?)

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

Did you switch the tv to cable from antenna thru the menu program? I have been guilty of this on several occasions.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

have done everything suggested to no avail. Yesterday Dish Repairman checked it out, replaced all connector ends still the same. "Sometimes" when it turns snowy we turn on the switch to the Satellite dish and turn it right off and it clears the channels 90% of the time. I guess I just keep plugging away.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #8

Quote:
no antenna, park cable plus last night we could hear a radio coming thru the tv speakers. we dont have LED lite either.
There is a big clue possibly. If a radio station is strong enough to come into your system it can also affect the TV signal. Bet there is a radio tower very near or it's radio channels they put on the cable.

You might have a bad splitter somewhere. See if you can temporarily run a cable from the hookup directly to one of the TVs. See how that works.

Does neighbor get a good signal off of the cable?

Has the trailer been in an electrical storm lately?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

Thank you EVEREDDIE, Monday afternoon I will tear the panel back out and replace splitter. Dumb question: how can a splitter turn bad? we have not had any electrical storms.

Last night and so far this morning no problems except with radio stations coming thru on low channels.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you EVEREDDIE, Monday afternoon I will tear the panel back out and replace splitter. Dumb question: how can a splitter turn bad? we have not had any electrical storms.

Last night and so far this morning no problems except with radio stations coming thru on low channels.
Not a dumb question about the splitter. If you have a passive splitter, one that does not require power, it is unlikely that it has gone bad but don't rule it out either. I would look to any active devices first, ones that require power to work. Like any boosters in-line. Tell me how the switch to the satellite dish works. It sounds like it can make things better when you activate it. Maybe try bypassing that first before you mess with the splitter.

This radio station may really be the total cause of the trouble. Can you hear what station it is? Is it an FM station? To hear this station on your TV means it is a VERY strong station. Being that strong it is very definitely getting into your system and causing an overload and causing the AGC circuits in your TV to do strange things. (AGC stands for Automatic Gain Control. This circuit 'sees' the strong FM station and cuts back the signal to the TV) If it is an FM station you can get a inexpensive FM filter at radio shack. It would still be a worthwhile test to run the cable directly to one of the TVs.

Questions: Has your system worked good before this location?
Is neighbors working OK.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #11

You didn't inadvertently set your tv for sap mode input did you?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
booster is off, connected to neighbors cable outlet, same issue. Thought I had it somewhat ok, wind blows and we're back to start. (?)
The problem is the park's cable TV distribution system. Not your camper.

The amplifiers in the system are "rolling off" the lower frequencies and allowing the signal level to get too close to the noise level inherent in all such systems. (The symptoms you describe indicate an old, analog system)

The signal should be strong enough so that the noise, which is always there, is not an issue. The signal is so weak the noise become obvious. Once this happens there is no way to "fix" the noisy signal. Filters won't take it out, and when you amplify noise, you get.... loud noise.

Don't try to fix anything in the camper. The problem isn't yours.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #13

then only question RADIO is why wouldn't it bother my campground neighbors too? Gets very frustrating to say the least. So far tonight it has been great watching the Pats.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
then only question RADIO is why wouldn't it bother my campground neighbors too? Gets very frustrating to say the least. So far tonight it has been great watching the Pats.
I thought when you said...

Quote:
....you meant that the neighbors were in fact having the same issues as you. In that case it would be a campground issue. The wind blowing could be upsetting the shared community antenna.

If instead the neighbors are NOT having the same problem then it's back to fixing your rig. Again though I would look for something that would cause a frequency roll off, like an amplifier or booster.

Bummer. I was hoping to save you some time and money.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #15

today for the NFL Playoffs I ran a cable directly from park hookup to our TV inside. No issues, so I guess I admit there is an issue with a booster or amp or amp as Radio says. I also added a splitter to run bedroom TV and everything works great. I had rewired as previously stated exactly as required so I assume it's the booster. (?) Anyhow until we leave this area April 1st I believe I'll leave the setup as I have it now. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me...until later. Bruce

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing

Tags
snow