Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #1

Some hum and lots of crackling

I have a brand new 2012 Puma which has a ZX700. When I'm watching my TV with sound through the 5.1 surround sound, I get LOTS of crackling (to the point that I have to turn the surround sound off) it almost sounds like our speakers are blown and if there is no sound there is a very audible hum. If I'm just listening to music off a USB drive on the surround sound, there is no hum and no crackling at all so I know my speakers really aren't blown. Any suggestions?

Also, on a side note, my #6 doesn't have a backlight, everything else does.

Maybe I should drag my trailer down to my dealer and just get this crappy concertone replaced...hmmm.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #2

Check your connections. Ensure that the RCA (Audio Video Cables) are connected in the proper places. If you are just taking the audio from the TV and feeding it to the ZX700, then the cable should have a RED and WHITE plug on either end. On the TV is should be connected to AUDIO OUT and on the ZX700 it may be labled AUX1, AUX2. Make sure that the TV auio is OUT and the ZX700 is in. If that doesn't eliminate the hum, try taking a small piece of wire and connect one end to a metal piece on the back of the TV (maybe a cover screw), DON'T STICK THE WIRE INTO THE TV! Take the other end of the wire and place it on the back of the ZX700, to a metal point. If the hum goes away, you have a ground issue between the AC power and DC Power. By sticking the wire between the TV and the ZX700, we have made the ground potential equal. If that small wire gets rid of the hum you can set it up permanant, or find out where the problem is. It could be something as serious is an outlet wired incorrectly, such as a nutral and ground swaped, and you want to find that.

The hum between an AC powered piece of equipment and DC equipment was very common on yachts when I did marine electronics for a living. Results were oulets, as previously stated, battery chargers, computers with DC mointors... anything that that connected an AC device to DC power or vice versa. Then again I never found the cause of many as the customer didn't want to pay for the investigation, just left the wire in between the 2 devices.

Hope this helps.

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #3

Thanks, that's some good info. I have checked the connection on the TV and moved it to a different connection on the wall plate, but haven't pulled the ZX700 out yet to inspect behind it. I also tried a new audio cable. I'll try your suggestions and see if it help at all.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Be prepared to see a jumbled up nightmare of wires going every which way behind there! When I pulled mine out, it looked like a tornado hit behind the wall of the Concertone! Many others have reported the same nightmare of wiring, as well. Good Luck!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

Any quick tips on removing the ZX700? I assume there is a faceplate to be removed, then some mounting screws or something like that.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

My #7 is not back lit, so if you discover how to fix your #6 let me know!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
When looking at the trim ring, look at the bottom edge. there are two small holes. Use a small screw driver or small butter knife to pry off CAREFULLY. Then there are screws on each side off the unit that when undone will allow the unit to come right out.

Anyone experiencing LEDs out may try loosing these mounting screws slightly as sometimes the faceplate gets twisted if too tight. You just need the screws to hold the unit in, not torqued down...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
When looking at the trim ring, look at the bottom edge. there are two small holes. Use a small screw driver or small butter knife to pry off CAREFULLY. Then there are screws on each side off the unit that when undone will allow the unit to come right out.

Anyone experiencing LEDs out may try loosing these mounting screws slightly as sometimes the faceplate gets twisted if too tight. You just need the screws to hold the unit in, not torqued down...
Thanks Bob, you mentioned this to me at the FROG Rally, but I tried it, no joy, any other suggestions?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
Thanks Bob, you mentioned this to me at the FROG Rally, but I tried it, no joy, any other suggestions?
Sounds like if the LEDs are out the dealer should exchange for you...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #10

Well, my #6 being out was due to the screws too tight, but in order for the #6 to light up, the stereo has to to be hanging out of the wall 1/4"...not acceptable.

I took my trailer in to the dealer this last week to have them diagnose the bigger problem of still crackling and their response was to turn the bass off. Not acceptable either. After showing them the crappy ZX700 crackles even when the bass is off (also does it all the way down to volume level 1...turn it to 0 and it stops) my dealer decided to just replace the whole receiver. Since I'll be replacing the receiver myself (the dealer is ordering it and are going to call when it's in) I'm really tempted to just leave it out and replace it with a quality piece of equipment.