Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Speaker doesn't work

Posted in the Georgetown forum but thought I'd try here as well. The speaker in the passenger footwell does not work. Speaker wires are connected to the speaker. I traced them all the way up into the spaghetti chaos behind the dash/Jensen head unit and lost track of them. There is an RCA plug labeled subwoofer output that comes out of the Jensen and it is connected to an RCA plug but again can't follow it all the way. I don't think I have a subwoofer anywhere. That footwell speaker is just a regular 6x9. Next step is to pull the head unit out of the dash along with all the spaghetti and trace the wires in earnest but thought I'd check in to see if anyone can provide guidance and/or has had the same problem. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Got response from fellow Georgetown owner in the Georgetown forum. Passing along the info:

Fellow Georgetown owner nailed the problem over on the Forest River Forum. Passing along the info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
In my 2014 351 it is an 8" subwoofer. It stopped working. I took apart dash and discovered factory installed ground loop isolators in the RCA lines. I bypassed it and sub worked again. So the suppressor cap had failed. You can get them for about 15$ on Amazon or get dealer to fix. After I saw the dinky amp and dinky sub I plan to up grade. One of my to do list. Custom sub box with JL 12wT4 and class d amp around 200-400 watts should work. I believe the cheap amp is the week link in the current set up with a lousy ground also.
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Hey GABoy that was it! After work today I decided to dive in. Pulled the front console and started following wires. Sure enough that subwoofer is wired via an RCA connector to a 2channel Mini Amp mounted in the dash behind the console. But it is connected to the mini Amp with an isolator which I would have had no idea what the heck that little black plastic cylinder was if it weren't for you. So disconnected the isolator and plugged the speaker connection directly into the amp and BINGO speaker on!

Now grant you the speaker sounded like crap and the more I played with the radio it seemed to me the speaker was over modulating. Looked closley at the amp and found the adjustment knob. Dialed back the power a little bit and now the speaker sounds way less crappy. It's still a pretty sorry sounding system but at least now it all works. I hate it when things don't work.

Again HUGE THANK YOU. Would never have figured it out on my own!

Jeff