Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #1

Post Speaker wiring on a Shamrock or 19

To Bob:

On my Shamrock 19, I have a ZX-75 and am thinking of installing 2 little directional speakers right below the cabinet on each side, to get true stereo. As I only have 1 speaker now on each side - so it has to be mono - not stereo.

I have not taken anything apart and was wondering about wiring.

As you may or may not know A is connected to 1 speaker on 1 side, B the other side also 1 speaker only and C to the 2 outside speakers. In larger RVs, I suspect A is 2 speakers in bedroom and B - 2 in living room for example.

Clearly the A is designed to support 2 speakers LH & RH channels in stereo. Same for the B. As shown in the user manual.

Do you know if there are 4 wires (LH+/- and RH+/-) that run to the one over the jacknife couch it would make adding an extra speaker easier...

Just planning it.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #2

Denis, you might want to post this under General Tech and repair/Concertone subsection to get Bob's attention. Also probably want to add what unit you have. He's been great at answering all my concerns and is available by phone or email.....
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckisland1950 View Post
Denis, you might want to post this under General Tech and repair/Concertone subsection to get Bob's attention. Also probably want to add what unit you have. He's been great at answering all my concerns and is available by phone or email.....
Hum.. that is where I posted it...

Edited to show I have ZX-75.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
That wiring is CRAZY if I read you correctly.

I can send you the wiring diagram if you do not have one, but clearly you should indeed be rigged for stereo and downmixed surround sound in zone A. B&C should be stereo only.

Sounds like you got an afternoon project with the appropriate beverages to keep you focused!
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Must have been past my bedtime, sorry for the confusion and glad Bob found your request.....
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
I can send you the wiring diagram if you do not have one, but clearly you should indeed be rigged for stereo and downmixed surround sound in zone A. B&C should be stereo only.
Bob: the Shamrock 19 is not a very large unit - inside there are only 2 speakers - there is 1 speaker above the couch and 1 above the dinette. I am hoping to have 2 speakers at each location instead of 1 ... How many ohms rating do I need for 2 little speakers

FR seems to wire the speakers differently than you may think.

A controls 1 speaker only (gotta be mono)
B the other. mono too I guess.
C controls the 2 outside speakers. Maybe stereo.

I wondered if FR was running 4 wires - for 2 speakers - even though it connects to 1 speaker ??

PS: I'd love to see the wiring diagram (if different than the manual) and the back of the unit pic - the manual is very blurry and you cannot read the legend for the rear connectors.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I rewired the speakers in my Rockwood last year so I had stereo rather than mono. I don't know if that was what they wanted or not, the wiring didn't resemble the diagram on the ZX75.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #8

I gave up on the idea for now.

I bought my new speakers and was ready to install them, when I noticed the connector at the back the ZX-75

A - LH- LH+ OK
RH- RH+ Wires cut by Forest River at the factory

B - LH- LH+ OK
RH- RH+ Wires cut by Forest River at the factory

C - all OK none cut

So I essentially have a single speaker on A and B - for a nice monophonic sound system.

They could have run all wires, doh!.

I would have to pull new wires to the speaker area to accomodate the extra speaker and I am sure who difficult/easy this will be.

Was it the same on your 2106 ?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Denis, this is the quote from my post of last year:

Quote:
From the factory my TT has 2 speakers over the dinette. When I had the stereo out to solder the connections for my external speakers, I noticed that the forward speaker was wired to the A room RH yellow wires & the rearward speaker was wired to the B room RH blue wires.

Is this normal or not? Wiring the forward speaker to A room LH & rearward speaker to A room RH should improve the sound.
Here is a link to another thread that Bob has posted a diagram in. I'm not sure if Concertone has the speaker wiring the same across all models or not.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ring-6105.html

IMO each speaker should be connected to a + & - wire, not + + or - -. Then again, I'm amazed that I was able to think thru my issue as I'm not much for electrical work .

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote