Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

State & National Park WIFI Service

The state and national parks I have visited have very limited wifi service. I have a wifi repeater-extender device that works within 30 yards or so from a wifi antenna. Is there a better way to get a wifi signal?
Hector517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

Walk to the Office! Youroo!! US Flag on second Row?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Always Learning

Wifi Repeater/antenna is it- I'm confused by your "works within 30 yards or so". My devices can typically connect to campground access points natively at that range.

What setup do you have?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #4

If you are trying to get a better wifi signal go to www.ccrane.com. I use the super wifi antenna with router. Pull in signals that my laptop or IPad never see, works great, easy to set up.

If you can connect and it is slow may be that the available wifi does not have sufficient bandwidth to give you any type of respectable speed, in that case even an antenna system won't help much.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

It's been my experience with camping in State Parks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Colorado that there is no WiFi service. In fact, at Rifle Gap State Park, CO, the cell phone service was not reliable.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector517 View Post
The state and national parks I have visited have very limited wifi service. I have a wifi repeater-extender device that works within 30 yards or so from a wifi antenna. Is there a better way to get a wifi signal?
I set up a secure wifi hotspot with one of our cell phones. I'm on Verizon (via Straight Talk) and my wife is on MetroPCS (uses T-Mobile towers). It's very rare that one of the phones can't get a signal. When that happens I put up a 30 foot cellular antenna (we carry the mast in sections made out of PCV on the rear of the trailer) and turn on our WeBoost cellular amplifier. We get cell phone service and Internet in places where no one else has service. Go to weboost.com and see what product is best for you.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Am using a Verizon hot-spot.....If I get cell service, I get wi-fi
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

Oldbob I Have a situation, we are downsizing and moving to a smaller house, cell service is poor, how far from your RV will the weboost send a cellular signal to your phone. I have been looking for a cellular booster.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #9

Cellular booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Oldbob I Have a situation, we are downsizing and moving to a smaller house, cell service is poor, how far from your RV will the weboost send a cellular signal to your phone. I have been looking for a cellular booster.
They have a home system that would work well for you. In fact you can even bring the home system into an RV when you travel as a friend of ours does. I've seen it work where I have NO signal, enable the booster and I'll have 4 or 5 bars so it really works well. I'd say it transmits around a average sized home lot between 1/2 and 1/4 acre. weboost.com

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

That would be great will look into it more when we get home. Thanks
Old 03-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #11

Most of our national parks are located in remote places that have very limited telephone service and the telephone company provides internet service. Add to this the multiple recent years congressional desires to cut spending and you discover that the park service has no money to provide internet service to visitors. It's actually worse than this at some parks. One I know of implemented congressional mandated changes to the staff's email procedures then discovered that their internet service and local server systems would not support the staff's accessing email. Of course, congress will not appropriate additional money to upgrade the internet service or replace obselete hardware with equipment that meets mandated needs.

Some parks have internet service provided by the consessionaire, the people running the souvenir shop. If they are doing this, it will most likely be only at the headquarters building, and may be available for limited hours each day. If there's a consessionaire run RV park or campground in the park, they may also have wifi service available for a small (or large) fee.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service