Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #21

Use Bluetooth.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #22

Would this adapter work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pack-3-5m....c100005.m1851
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Plug in a triple jack to RCA lead; ignore yellow RCA (video); plus two RCA joiners connecting a second cable RCA to normal 8m jack for iPad etc. That will work if anything will.
(Problem with a normal plug in a triple jack is one channel of audio is often connected to video part of jack.)
I have the bits here but I’m not there to try it out. [emoji51]
Attachment 169940
I'll see if I have the rca joiners and give it a try.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Use Bluetooth.
I will check to see if the TT stereo has bluetooth, I know the tablet does.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
Boondocking Only

It's a sign.....Boondocking = No radio. Lol
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #26
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Plug in a triple jack to RCA lead; ignore yellow RCA (video); plus two RCA joiners connecting a second cable RCA to normal 8m jack for iPad etc. That will work if anything will.
(Problem with a normal plug in a triple jack is one channel of audio is often connected to video part of jack.)
I have the bits here but I’m not there to try it out. [emoji51]
Attachment 169940
Some of the other solutions here will not work if the input into the radio is an AV i/p. The cable you have is OK but will look a bit messy, which is OK, my place is full of such things, albeit hidden behind stuff. For a more 'elegant' solution try this. The 3.5mm jack end is what plugs into the radio, the other end with the RCA's has to be modified. This requires you to cut off the RCA plugs and join/solder some wires on to another 3.5mm jack plug.

For starters you cut-off/tape up/ignore the yellow video connector, this is not used. What you want is to cut off the red and black connectors and solder their wires to a new 3.5mm stereo jack plug.

When you cut off the RCA ends, strip the wire back (about 2-3 inches should be enough), you will see an insulated wire core covered with a shield. Join the two shield wires together by twisting. These will be soldered onto the ground/neg pin on the jack plug.The positive/centre/insulated wire of the red wire is soldered onto one of the centre/tip lugs and the insulated wire of the black wire is soldered onto the other ring point.

I hope this makes sense to you. This is fiddly stuff and if you haven't done it before will probably tax your skill levels and patience.

Here is a link to a video that might help.

Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #27

Sounds like a job for a Boostaroo.

Look it up on Amazon. Works great.
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Some of the other solutions here will not work if the input into the radio is an AV i/p. The cable you have is OK but will look a bit messy, which is OK, my place is full of such things, albeit hidden behind stuff. For a more 'elegant' solution try this. The 3.5mm jack end is what plugs into the radio, the other end with the RCA's has to be modified. This requires you to cut off the RCA plugs and join/solder some wires on to another 3.5mm jack plug.

For starters you cut-off/tape up/ignore the yellow video connector, this is not used. What you want is to cut off the red and black connectors and solder their wires to a new 3.5mm stereo jack plug.

When you cut off the RCA ends, strip the wire back (about 2-3 inches should be enough), you will see an insulated wire core covered with a shield. Join the two shield wires together by twisting. These will be soldered onto the ground/neg pin on the jack plug.The positive/centre/insulated wire of the red wire is soldered onto one of the centre/tip lugs and the insulated wire of the black wire is soldered onto the other ring point.

I hope this makes sense to you. This is fiddly stuff and if you haven't done it before will probably tax your skill levels and patience.

Here is a link to a video that might help.

Great explanation and a can do.

First though I'm going to pull the radio out and see if there is another source in back. The AV programming has an option for Audio-F (ront) and Audio-R so there are two inputs for AV. The TT is not wired out of the cabinet back from the factory for the second. Hopefully. there are RCA connectors back there to be used.
If I can figure how to setup a Rca pair on a surface mount wall plate that should work with the same adapter used on my home system.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #29
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthere View Post
Great explanation and a can do.

First though I'm going to pull the radio out and see if there is another source in back. The AV programming has an option for Audio-F (ront) and Audio-R so there are two inputs for AV. The TT is not wired out of the cabinet back from the factory for the second. Hopefully. there are RCA connectors back there to be used.
If I can figure how to setup a Rca pair on a surface mount wall plate that should work with the same adapter used on my home system.
Good solution. You can buy small RCA socket pairs already mounted on a black plate. You have a couple of options if you are going to use the rear connector.
1: Drill a hole in the wall panel the same size as the cable (actually it will need to big enough to fit the 3.5mm jack plug) poke the cable through from the back and let it hang with the excess cable behind the wall. Drag it out to connect to the ipad then push it back when shutting down. You could even use a grommet in the hole.
2: Mount a 3.5mm socket on the panel and wire it to the rear i/ps. Then you need a 3.4mm-3.5mm cable to plug into from the ipad.
3: Mount a stereo pair of RCA sockets to the wall panel and use one of the cables you have between the sockets and the ipad.

Options 1 & 2 will require no soldering, just drilling and screwing. If you decide on option 3 then you will need to cut a hole slightly larger than the width of the sockets (looking at them from the back of the plate). Again soldering will be necessary.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #30

Thanks for the advice. I found the rear jacks and connected a 2 jack RCA cable to the stereo then the tablet with the grommet idea you had. It was better quality and now both outside speakers work. Still not enough volume to drown out an unruly neighbors generator. (reason more volume is needed)

I plan to order the battery powered headphone amp next. If that works I will finish off the upgrade with the 3 jack av input wall plate instead of the tablet only setup. This would allow for other types of av components to be connected. Not sure what though.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #31

As a follow up, I purchased the Neoteck HiFi Headphone Amplifier ($29 on Amazon) which is exactly what I was looking for. It almost doubled the volume, and as a benefit it noticeably added clarity to the music. The USB charging port is the same as my tablet and can be charged with the TV or TT 12v cig socket.

I was a little hesitant about the longevity after researching the reviews but it has an 18 month warranty, we'll see.

Tags
stereo