Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Lightbulb Stereo Sub-woofer

This isn't really a Concertone issue, but probably more of an issue brought on by Forest River. But I thought I'd post here since it is an entertainment issue. I was wondering if anyone else has this same setup. We have a 2010 Rockwood 2701SS. When they (whoever 'they' might be) installed the sub-woofer it was installed it in a storage space in what I will call the entertainment center, behind a solid wood panel that matches the other cabinet doors. When watching a movie or listening to the radio in general, nothing can be heard from the sub-woofer with this panel in place. If I remove the panel to expose the speaker, then I can hear it and it sounds pretty good.
My first question is, is this the standard location for others or is just where, and how, they decided to install it in mine?
Second, I'm thinking of two options in order to get more sound from this speaker for a better overall 'entertainment' experience. I'm thinking of either removing the center of the solid wood panel and installing a grill thereby allowing it to be heard (knowing that sub-woofers are more about being felt and not necessarily heard). This would be the easiest fix since it would not require moving and rewiring anything. But moving it would open up more storage space. My other idea is to move the speaker box from this cabinet and attaching it to the underside of the couch. Of course this would require rewiring it and I haven't looked into just how much trouble that would entail. But there is plenty of unused space below the couch AND when sitting on the couch while watching a movie, it would give you more 'feel' from the speaker! I could also turn it on in the morning to BoUnCe my kids out of bed in the morning

Just thought that I'd get an idea as to whether this is a typical setup and whether anyone has done a modification for their sub-woofer.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #2

Good morning: My sub woofer came from mfg. behind a wall but they had cut out and put a grill in front of it. I guess for you the installer just got lazy!.
Wilkrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

I must have 'lucked out' and got the same 'lazy installer'.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #4

Mine has a grill in front of it too.
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Grumpy Old Member

My subwoofer is also installed in a cabinet space below the entertainment system but the cabinet has been cut out to include a grill assembly.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

At least it sounds like I wasn't the only one! Even so, I still love my camper and in any event, I can probably do a better job of installing a grill myself! I do agree that quality control by whoever installed the entertainment system was subpar. On ours, they didn't get the head unit centered in the space, nor the XM radio port. And the front right speaker was installed about a foot further to the front of the camper than the right front speaker. Almost to the point that it interferes with the curtain on the left side of the entertainment console. That, unfortunately, will be much more difficult to fix since holes are cut and drilled into the ceiling for the installation of the speakers. I do plan on one day re-centering the head unit and XM port, but I will need to find out how to order some of the same paneling used in the trailer.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Commercial Member

A subwoofer shouldn't need to be exposed to function. It's bass...in many cars you put it in the trunk. That's weird.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
A subwoofer shouldn't need to be exposed to function. It's bass...in many cars you put it in the trunk. That's weird.
Well, these are crappy subs at best and they should be able to move some air around to do their job. I'm not privy to the crossover frequencies involved here but I'd be willing to bet that Concertone is asking the sub to carry a bit more than just low base considering the size and build quality of the ceiling speakers.

Please don't read this as a complaint. I'm very happy with the abilities and quality of the AV system in the camper. It works, sounds ok, and is feature rich.

Above all else, remember we're here to

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #9

Have you tried adjusting the sound settings on the Concertone? Mine is behind a screwed shut cabinet door w/ no grille as well, but I can hear it pretty good when I adjust the bass settings on the radio. No, it's not ground pounding bass, but it is sufficient for what it is. At least it is to us, anyway. Installing a grill on there would help some, though. I considered that at first, too. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Have you tried adjusting the sound settings on the Concertone? Mine is behind a screwed shut cabinet door w/ no grille as well, but I can hear it pretty good when I adjust the bass settings on the radio.
I have adjusted the bass settings at the radio and it made a little difference, honestly not that much in my opinion. I don't expect movie theatre, or even home theatre, quality sound....I'm roughing it after all !! But if I paid for something, and it is taking up space and weight, I'd like to be able to utilize it to the best of its ability. I think adding a grill to the panel is probably the way to go, although I'd like to be able to use that space as storage. But not at the expense of taking the camper apart to run wires to a different location.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
A sub woofer should be exposed at least half. Meaning you don't need a grill covering the speaker just half of it.

I have seen (and heard) the installation of which you and yes, the system performance will be much better when you open it up.

A sub woofer in this enclosed space cannot possibly work correctly and is not comparable to a vehicle trunk. I know they are looking at changing this, but you will need to do the mod yourself as it was simply an installation preference...

Let me/us know if you need other ideas.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Sub woofer installation--------

My sub was installed under the TV behind the two door all the way at the floor. It was positioned exactly between the two doors facing to the left on the 8285WS towards the water filter/ pump compartment. The door on the right had the screen on it for ???????????

I removed the speaker, turned it around so it was facing to the screen door. we store several seldom used items in this compartment that has to do with the kitchen. This left the sub speaker "CONE" unprotected from damage of those items. Lowe's has a white speaker grill that will cover and protect the sub cone from damage, this I purchased and installed.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #13

I have done high end audio in homes and mega yachts, and these are my recommendations for a sub woofer. Allow air movement between the sub and the listening room. It does not matter where in the room it is or facing (other than facing a wall). It does not matter whether it is high or low in the room. The sub is bass. The cone in the speaker moves air quickly, which makes your ears sense it and makes you feel it depending on the adjustment. It can be behind a couch, chair, in a vented wall, vented cabinet (make sure you pad the door so they don't rattle), just about anywhere in the listening room. Good luck and have fun!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Thanks Bob and everyone else for responding. I was pretty positive that it was an installation preference to install it the way that they did. I think that I will end up just getting a grill cover and installing it on the false door panel and that is probably the cheapest and easiest thing to do.
Thanks again everyone for your input!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #15

Question? SUB....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Could you tell me what kind of Sub ,and is it on a Seperate Amp? belive it or not my RV came with a Cobie (POSX10) I can't tell the difference unless I put a sock in the port. I would love to put a Alpine Sub or something like that ,But running a Hot wire to the bat seems Impossible. Any thoughts ,Thanks Dock
Dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #16

A question for those of you who have the Concertone/Genesis 5.1 system with subwoofer. Are you getting much out of your sub? I can barely hear anything coming out of it, even with the bass level turned up all the way. It is not dead, I can see the speaker moving slightly, but there is not much coming out of it, even though the other 5 small speakers seem to be fine with plenty of volume.

I realize that a sub is more for feeling the vibrations than hearing a sound, but I have heard other subs with much more sound than my has.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
A question for those of you who have the Concertone/Genesis 5.1 system with subwoofer. Are you getting much out of your sub? I can barely hear anything coming out of it, even with the bass level turned up all the way. It is not dead, I can see the speaker moving slightly, but there is not much coming out of it, even though the other 5 small speakers seem to be fine with plenty of volume.

I realize that a sub is more for feeling the vibrations than hearing a sound, but I have heard other subs with much more sound than my has.

I was hardly getting anything out of mine either. I ended up taking the speaker grill down to expose the connections, 2 on each side of the speaker. I simply switched one pair of wires to the terminals and the sub came alive. It was wired backwards from the factory.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My sub is mounted under the the steps of my 5er
2011 32bhok-6 . No grill whatsoever kinda dumbbell in
my opinion. Going to investigate this soon.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post

Pete (Crew Dually) is right on.
The sub woofer is a single speaker with dual voice coils.
IF one pair of speaker wires was connected backwards at the factory
it means one coil is pushing while the other coil is pulling.
The speaker will not put out much at all.
Just take one wire pair and switch or reverse the terminals.

Good Luck!
Let us know how it turns out.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My sub is mounted under the the steps of my 5er
2011 32bhok-6 . No grill whatsoever kinda dumbbell in
my opinion. Going to investigate this soon.
My sub is under one seat bench at the dinette.
It also had no grill.
I cut a hole in the side and installed a small cold air return grill
from Home Depot. Cost maybe $5. Looks fine.
It helped increase the sound getting out some but not as much as
I thought it would.
YMMV.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concertone, stereo, subwoofer