Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

sub-woofer location

Can anyone who owns a 8289WS, tell me were the sub-woofer is located, or if it even has one. I looked all over and when you try to program it I get no notable change anywhere.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

The Sub-Woofer is located in the bottom of the Entertainment Cabinet on my 2013 8289WS. I do not have the fireplace, and do not know if it is located behind the fireplace on units that have the fireplace.

Initially, my Sub-Woofer had a piece of paneling in front of it. I modified that to permit better sound output.

The details are in Post #9 of this thread:

8289WS - Modifications

RodeoGeorge

All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

A sub woofer, by nature, does not need panel altered for 'better sound output'. Subs are not speakers. Striclty a source for base and can be hidden away behind panels, sofas, etc. Suggest leaving panel alone as it has no impact on 'sound' quality.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
A sub woofer, by nature, does not need panel altered for 'better sound output'. Subs are not speakers. Striclty a source for base and can be hidden away behind panels, sofas, etc. Suggest leaving panel alone as it has no impact on 'sound' quality.
Well, what you say is great in theory. BUT!

Sound is my business (Home), and I know for a fact that the paneling in front of the Sub-Woofer severely diminished the radiation into the room. While the Sib-Woofer can cause the paneling to vibrate and therefore pass on the sound, it is a major attenuator. The output of these Sub-Woofers is not large enough to cause it's surrounding to vibrate at the low frequencies.

If I were to put something in front of the woofers in the speakers that I use for arena sound, I'd be fired, and justifiably so.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Ours was mounted under the tv in the cabinet and anchored with an angle strap and a gap all around it. Yesterday when I started looking into the removal of the carpet, I discovered air coming out of the cabinet door with the mesh grille covering the woofer. Opened the door and the woofer was anchored off to one side and back about 1". I cut a new alum. angle and mounted the box flush and sealed all around it. No more air leaking into the trailer.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ours was mounted under the tv in the cabinet and anchored with an angle strap and a gap all around it. Yesterday when I started looking into the removal of the carpet, I discovered air coming out of the cabinet door with the mesh grille covering the woofer. Opened the door and the woofer was anchored off to one side and back about 1". I cut a new alum. angle and mounted the box flush and sealed all around it. No more air leaking into the trailer.
Cool. And the mesh grill in the door serves as protection for the speaker.

Plus, it now points and radiates right into the room.

Good idea, but darn it, now another project. LOL

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Cool. And the mesh grill in the door serves as protection for the speaker. Plus, it now points and radiates right into the room. Good idea, but darn it, now another project. LOL RodeoGeorge
The mesh grille was factory, and the shorter angle and sealing it is only about a 15 minute project. Main reason I did it was to stop the cold air infiltration.

Tags
cat, location

« Oven | Microwave »