Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Suburban Furnace

Apparently my tech can't solve this, so as always, go to FR forum for real info. My Suburban Furnace lights up and heats like a damn. However, the thermo will not cut back in when the heat goes down in the trailer. Took it in for warranty work and techs claim they put a new thermo in. First trip, same problem. Furnace will bring the heat up to correct level, but when temp drops, thermo does not respond and I have to "tweak" it to get it to come on. I tried to locate the anticipator on the thermo, but there does not seem to be one. Anyone had this problem?
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

YUP. The cheap thermostats that are installed in RV's have a +/- variance of like 5 degrees. so there is always a high temp swing inside the trailer. Do a search for installing a Hunter Douglas thermostat in your trailer and I'll bet all your problems go away. BTW. they can be had at places like Amazon or wallyworld for around 20 dollars plus the cost of a SPST switch from Radio Shack to allow your AC two speed fan to function properly.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Thermo

Thx Donn. Like mentioned, brand new thermo. Left on at 70 degrees last nite. Down to 50 and no response from furnace. Got up, nudged the temp control up and on went the furnace. Way too much variance, even for a cheap rv thermo.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

The thermostats in the RV use magnetic contacts and yours sounds as if is sticking. You tweek it and it breaks loose. A good digital thermostat is the way to go. Well worth the time and investment. You will not be disappointed. You can actually wire up a digital without the need for the switch as long as you don't care about the fan speed. You'll just always be on high speed.
mblanks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #5

I had that happen a few years ago in a pup, found that the plastic casing was constricting movement of the spring and magnets, it ended up that the mounting screws were too tight and caused a warp in the housing, I remounted it with new holes and screws, tightened lightly and everything worked from then on.

Many years ago we used RV heaters to heat a cargo trailer do deliver nursery products year around, we installed the heaters ourselves and had the same issue, from that experience I was able to find it in our pup.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote